Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 is getting pedestrian warning noises (AVAS)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure how a system would “detect” the presence of a speaker or not. Speakers, in the traditional red/black wire sense, are not “smart” so I can’t see how they would report their presence or how a system would detect their absence.

I think it would need to be coded, and probably is already done by the mothership by VIN. That would be why the functionality briefly works, until Tesla servers say “hang on, you’re not coded to face feature X”
Screenshot_20210514-023933_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210514-024059_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210514-024549_Gallery.jpg

Hi. Could be strange but those errors appeared when I forget to plug in the speaker on the passenger side (under dash).
When I remembered and plug the connector, no errors anymore.

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W. and Durzel
The LR cars that were just delivered came with the Pedestrian Warning System, but not the full Boombox. Some people have said that under the UK law the Boombox is apparently illegal, so I suspect the P will be the same.
I hope they give us a couple of sound options and a volume control. Seems to be a strange setup from all the videos I have seen.

Reverse noise is nicer than on the Merc we tested but the volume systems work totally differently. Particularly in drive the Merc starts at full volume and gradually reduces to zero at 18mph. Tesla seems to get louder and louder as speed increases and then turns off abruptly at about 20mph from the videos.

I hope they give us a couple of sound options and a volume control. Seems to be a strange setup from all the videos I have seen.

Reverse noise is nicer than on the Merc we tested but the volume systems work totally differently. Particularly in drive the Merc starts at full volume and gradually reduces to zero at 18mph. Tesla seems to get louder and louder as speed increases and then turns off abruptly at about 20mph from the videos.
Hello @Alic01, do you have any links to the videos by any chance? I could only find a few from the US back in 2019. Cheers

Hello @Alic01, do you have any links to the videos by any chance? I could only find a few from the US back in 2019. Cheers
Those are the ones, it is the same noise. I saw a 21 plate parking in our local Tesco on Friday evening and could hear it in reverse from inside my car unfortunately.

This was actually my biggest fear with the delays, I really didn’t want any noise, it’s kind of putting me off if I’m honest. We live in a little cul de sac and in Aberdeen everyone reverse parks everywhere so returning home late at night could be worse than the previous V8 as it’s a more noticeable noise

Reactions: Durzel and 2021_M3P
Those are the ones, it is the same noise. I saw a 21 plate parking in our local Tesco on Friday evening and could hear it in reverse from inside my car unfortunately.

This was actually my biggest fear with the delays, I really didn’t want any noise, it’s kind of putting me off if I’m honest. We live in a little cul de sac and in Aberdeen everyone reverse parks everywhere so returning home late at night could be worse than the previous V8 as it’s a more noticeable noise

I have a similar issue, living inside a National Park and living down a private lane... last thing I wanted was a loud “artificial” noise. Hopefully PWS will get some controls that allows you to put it in silent mode (temporarily) for those situations where you have an early morning start, or at least allow the sound to be reduced. I was more interested in the sound driving forwards TBH. From the videos it sounded pretty ropey, almost like the “exhaust” was dragging along the ground ! I’m hoping that it sounds better in real life.

There seems to be a real lack of feedback (including videos) from those that have taken Q2 deliveries... which is really surprising to me, I thought we would have had loads of chatter about PWS.

You can buy an isolation kit which turns PWS off (Abstract Ocean sell one, no doubt other vendors do to), I have no idea on the legality of such devices!

Reactions: Durzel
You can buy an isolation kit which turns PWS off (Abstract Ocean sell one, no doubt other vendors do to), I have no idea on the legality of such devices!

That’s my concern, I wouldn’t want to de-activate a safety device permanently. But having the option to make a temporary change when the situation allows you to do so safely (rather like deactivating an air bag when you have a young child in the front seat), seems like a good idea. It could always reactive after a certain time, or after your next journey.

Reactions: Jez_GB
Yeah I saw that and I would have to look at it carefully. The law would be pretty difficult here. Legally must be fitted by the manufacturer after 1st July but then all safety systems installed by the manufacturer must function for an MOT or even worse an assurance assessment.

The abstract ocean system is too obvious of a bypass which wouldn’t fly in the UK IMO.

also not sure there won’t be more software nannying associated with it on the EU models where it’s required by law. Would be very surprised if simple disconnection would work without a warning over here

Reactions: Jez_GB
I'm confused (it's not difficult). All new EV cars built after July 2019 should have this system fitted and activated? Having just searched on YouTube as a result of this thread, I'm hearing these (hideous) noises for the first time, and I can't understand why I've not heard it at all on the numerous 2021 M3 reviews I've been watching.