Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Model S Launch Event - a few photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The UK Model S Launch was held today at The Crystal in the heart of London Docklands area, over the river Thames from the Millennium Dome, aka the O2 arena.

Below are a few photos from the day, albeit from a cell phone. Despite threats of thunderstorms the weather held off all afternoon.

Elon presented the first 5 owners with their keys in front of the press, with one of the first up on the stand being the author EL James - although not sure what shade of car she had !

The first EU supercharger was on site, rated at a full 135 Kw.

I drove to the event in my Roadster, covering 210 miles there an back without needing to charge en-route. I had hoped to find out a little more about the rumoured Roadster upgrade but nothing concrete was forthcoming other than a cryptic line about something fairly radical will be offered to us shortly ..

Having been actively following Tesla since 2006, an owner since 2011, an investor since 2012 .. today was a great event to be part of :)

ModelSdeliverylaunchInvite_zps4c5f6c46.jpg

TheCrystalModelSlaunchvenue_zpsce9a1148.jpg

Muskpullingaface_zps383c825a.jpg

A few more photos
DSC_2016.JPG

DSC_2025.JPG

DSC_2031.JPG

DSC_2043.JPG

DSC_2050.JPG

DSC_2054.JPG

DSC_2057.jpg

Yes it is good at last to see the cars arriving in RHD form, looking forward to the user feedback. Well done to those that put down those early deposits, some as long as 2-3 years ago (if not longer)
I am sure the patience will be rewarded just wish they were that little bit cheaper thats all, bah!

It was a fantastic day. I met some great people. I have posted some pictures in my G+ stream. I felt honoured to be a part of it to be honest.

Thanks for those photos - I was the owner of the white Roadster at the event. I saw lots of people taking photos of it but forget to take any myself so have just downloaded yours. Had I known it was going to be parked on display I would have washed it first! I drove up and they just waved me inside probably thinking I worked for Tesla, saved me a trip to the car park:biggrin:

Excellent video of the event including Elon interview just posted on TM site : http://vimeo.com/m/97626707

The link you posted seems to be broken. I looked on the Telsa Motors website and can't find anything about the London event. Am I missing it?

I live in California but as it happens my wife and I will be in London this weekend before continuing on to Oslo. In London we are staying just a few miles from the Tesla showroom so we plan to visit the showroom and talk to the staff. At this point few of the staff will have ever met Tesla owners with long term experience with the car. So maybe we can provide them with some real-world ownership stories that will help them sell the car more effectively.

The link you posted seems to be broken. I looked on the Telsa Motors website and can't find anything about the London event. Am I missing it?

I live in California but as it happens my wife and I will be in London this weekend before continuing on to Oslo. In London we are staying just a few miles from the Tesla showroom so we plan to visit the showroom and talk to the staff. At this point few of the staff will have ever met Tesla owners with long term experience with the car. So maybe we can provide them with some real-world ownership stories that will help them sell the car more effectively.

The link works fine for me...

Thanks for those photos - I was the owner of the white Roadster at the event. I saw lots of people taking photos of it but forget to take any myself so have just downloaded yours. Had I known it was going to be parked on display I would have washed it first! I drove up and they just waved me inside probably thinking I worked for Tesla, saved me a trip to the car park:biggrin:

You're more than welcome Alan. it's a fine example. though it's the first one I've seen in the flesh..these are the three that I took.. I don't think I posted all of them to G+
IMG_20140607_150222.jpg
IMG_20140607_150212.jpg
IMG_20140607_150156.jpg

Don't know if people have seen this article yet, but I thought it was pretty good. The author mixes up miles with Wh/mi when describing his remaining range after his test drive, but that got me to wondering why they have a different rated miles range for the UK...(see photos in the article):

What it's like to drive a Tesla Model S in the UK

Anyone know how that works? Is it just the different regulatory requirements for EPA vs. UK equivalent?

I believe where US cars have rated (265) and ideal (310) the UK cars have typical (I assume also around 265) and rated (300+). So this guy's test car is set in the more optimistic of the two modes.

In both cases "rated" is based on that country's standardised range test. I guess the UK test has a larger component of cruising around at 30mph which is what the Model S really excels at in terms of consumption.