Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea. maybe any or all of

HW4
New Cameras?
HD radar?
functioning USB ports
Proper matrix LED functionality
Working windscreen wipers
interior changes / upgrades
The ability to turn off the vents on the passenger side of the car at will

personally I would quite fancy vented seats which lots of cars in this class have

Though who knows maybe they will just use it as an excuse to take off more stuff like the stalks and the top and bottom of the steering wheel?
The second half of your list could be achieved through software updates I guess. and I believe HD radar isn't part of HW4 on MYs/3s following the latest news over the weekend... so it would be just about the exterior/interior redesign..

The second half of your list could be achieved through software updates I guess. and I believe HD radar isn't part of HW4 on MYs/3s following the latest news over the weekend... so it would be just about the exterior/interior redesign..
Actually the M3 does not ( or did not when I had one ) have the necessary hardware to independently turn off the passenger air vents. The MY does but only uses it if there is no one in the seat. There is no button to turn it off. So in the case of the MY you are correct but the M3 not so, at least not in 2019

As for the windscreen wipers, my response is if they could then why the F*** havent they? I suspect what we have is the best that can be done with the current hardware but throw in some better cameras and who knows?

Matrix LED also, do they have the necessary hardware to control them the way Audi and BMW etc do? if so then they are really dragging their heels on that one.

• Informative
Reactions: WllXM
Actually the M3 does not ( or did not when I had one ) have the necessary hardware to independently turn off the passenger air vents. The MY does but only uses it if there is no one in the seat. There is no button to turn it off. So in the case of the MY you are correct but the M3 not so, at least not in 2019

As for the windscreen wipers, my response is if they could then why the F*** havent they? I suspect what we have is the best that can be done with the current hardware but throw in some better cameras and who knows?

Matrix LED also, do they have the necessary hardware to control them the way Audi and BMW etc do? if so then they are really dragging their heels on that one.
Didn't know that about the early M3s, yes, as the MY can do it, I guess the button is just a matter of finding developer time to add a manual toggle...
Windscreen, if you're still willing to drink to Elon's fountain, apparently adding the surround cameras to the ML processing could help in the near future, as the system was only using the front camera so far...

Matrix Lights, for this one, with the ability they have to project 'TESLA' during the light show, the hardware is definitely there, it's just that they have allowed zero developer time on this, sadly, because until very recently, the US didn't allow matrix headlights. And as a US-centric company, they were simply not interested in developing a feature for the rest of the world if it wasn't going to work in the home country too... hopefully it's coming... one can always hope...

Reactions: browellm
That line of argument about the headlights is pure fabrication. Highbeam assist is legal in the US but even then it's not really up to scratch.

People need to come to terms with the fact Tesla aren't very good at writing software for hardware like wipers and headlights instead of making up excuses to make themselves feel better.

I enjoyed my 4 years of Tesla ownership but in all honesty, if they put as much effort into software to deliver better driving features such as wipers headlights etc, as they seem to do in adding games, infotainment, self-driving etc, it would serve them better in my opinion. Get the basics on a par with legacy auto brands and then add the magic. That said, they have also been monumentally successful by being different, so what do I know :)

That line of argument about the headlights is pure fabrication. Highbeam assist is legal in the US but even then it's not really up to scratch.

People need to come to terms with the fact Tesla aren't very good at writing software for hardware like wipers and headlights instead of making up excuses to make themselves feel better.

1686047432848.png

And the full 327 page document for your viewing pleasure:

Re-read my post, I said nothing about matrix functionality.
Havent you just wrote :
That line of argument about the headlights is pure fabrication.
in response to my post explaining why the matrix headlights feature hasn't been developed earlier? Or are my eyes betraying me?

The hardware IS there. I said nothing more than Tesla HAS the ability to develop software for it if they wish to do so, it's not about a retrofit or a new model as we were discussing with @Jason71

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1

2022 Model 3 turns on/off the passenger side dependent on the seat being occupied.

Re:wipers apparently there's some changes in a recent FSD beta, and Elon replied to a message saying that it's going to move to using all the cameras rather than just the front. No opinion offered here as to whether it will be better or not.

Having never had a car with Matrix LEDs I don't really know how others implement them, are they self-calibrating or does it rely on very careful spannering in a dealership to allow it to understand which segments illuminate where. Does the Tesla front facing cameras have enough resolution, maybe this will be something that needs the new HW4 cameras. Will it aid or harm FSD and the various safety systems in the car?

Havent you just wrote :

in response to my post explaining why the matrix headlights feature hasn't been developed earlier? Or are my eyes betraying me?

The hardware IS there. I said nothing more than Tesla HAS the ability to develop software for it if they wish to do so, it's not about a retrofit or a new model as we were discussing with @Jason71
the matrix led lights are there but to control them you need to identify what is in front of you and decide what elements to turn on and off at any given moment that is what I was referring to.
I believe that the opposition use cameras for this and the Tesla has cameras but maybe they are in the wrong place or the wrong type I don't know. I would refer back to my comment on windscreen wipers. If they could do it via software why the heck havent they which leads me to wonder if camera changes are needed? something which is allegedly coming...

I partially agree with you. I don't think Tesla software engineers are bad at what they do, I actually think they've implemented some very good software. But I doubt software engineers are deciding that established hardware can be replaced with lines of code.

My theory is that they've been given the very difficult objective of 'making' software better interpret what can technically be seen through cameras. Unfortunately, the cameras are poorly placed and probably not high enough resolution to achieve that well. I'm willing to bet that most of the software engineers at Tesla know that.

I think when High Beam which I'm pretty sure was/is legal in the US was still pretty rubbish, the regulations preventing Matrix is a bit academic, they weren't in the position to do anything clever even if they wanted to. I'm of the opinion than once single stack "whats going on around me" comes to all, then clever Matrix should be pretty easy to implement. Whether that pans out is another matter.

2022 Model 3 turns on/off the passenger side dependent on the seat being occupied.

As can a 2021 model 3. It's been a long while now (in the lifetime of the car) since a model 3 couldn't. Although, as we've seen, features can regress (remember the usb ports) and so who is to say what next year a M3 or MY will do.

With so many changes throughout each and every year, what one car does isn't necessarily a good indicator for what another does even when the same model.

For anyone buying, the only way to be sure of anything is to look for yourself.

As can a 2021 model 3. It's been a long while now (in the lifetime of the car) since a model 3 couldn't. Although, as we've seen, features can regress (remember the usb ports) and so who is to say what next year a M3 or MY will do.

With so many changes throughout each and every year, what one car does isn't necessarily a good indicator for what another does even when the same model.

For anyone buying, the only way to be sure of anything is to look for yourself.
Do people really feel inconvenienced by the USB ports ? There's surely only one possible impact (connecting a game controller) which is perhaps quite an edge case for many drivers.

Personally I don't think things really go backwards, redundant appendages get removed like my car doesn't have radar rather than having an unused radar. Not looking to start a fight about USS, my car has them but TBH I find them of pretty limited value.

Do people really feel inconvenienced by the USB ports ? There's surely only one possible impact (connecting a game controller) which is perhaps quite an edge case for many drivers.

Personally I don't think things really go backwards, redundant appendages get removed like my car doesn't have radar rather than having an unused radar. Not looking to start a fight about USS, my car has them but TBH I find them of pretty limited value.

it just comes across as lack of joined up thinking and that does sometimes worry me about where else that happens not jsut the specific thing thats annoying.

The USB ports they literally added a couple of new games at the same time as removing the ability for new owners to actually play them. Why not add the ability to use a bluetooth controller? Or provide clear information on how to use a powered hub or similar to put a wireless dongle in the glovebox or something? Maybe they thought of that and couldn't, but they don't ever provide context. It smoetimes feels like they just rip stuff out willy nilly and wait for the fanboys to justify it.

it just comes across as lack of joined up thinking and that does sometimes worry me about where else that happens not jsut the specific thing thats annoying.

The USB ports they literally added a couple of new games at the same time as removing the ability for new owners to actually play them. Why not add the ability to use a bluetooth controller? Or provide clear information on how to use a powered hub or similar to put a wireless dongle in the glovebox or something? Maybe they thought of that and couldn't, but they don't ever provide context. It smoetimes feels like they just rip stuff out willy nilly and wait for the fanboys to justify it.
It's the world of agile developing a minimum viable products, the problem with chip supply was solved with a minor inconvenience of needing to the use the glovebox connector for the small number of people who want to use a controller with the small number of games that require it. Making bluetooth work will no doubt be in a backlog, but likely blocked (for example by the security impact of allowing keyboard access over bluetooth).

Rightly not the highest priority to be worked on next.