Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I lived in Dublin and not Belfast I could order a new white M3 for just €40,300 ! No sign of UK cuts ?
Isn't that just under £36k,,,,

If it continues will we see Southern Imports back on the cards.

I've bought a few Southern Imports over the years two of them were in Punts mind, but achieved substantial savings over what the stealers in the North were demanding.

Current steed was bought via Car WoW for the same reason and the same stealers, never ceases to amaze me just exactly how much more money some people have over sense/time etc.

Current EU prices in Euro for a model 3 translated to £ would be about +/-

RWD £35,990
LR £44,990-45,990
M3P £49,990

USA hard for simple me to fathom as they always quote prices without a bunch of local and federal taxes which change state to state I believe? The M3P equates to £42,684. Then there’s the Federal tax credit of $7,500 plus other state incentives depending where you are.

Of course these apply to other EV’s but this is the Tesla forum.

Sure to ruffle a few feathers in the industry if an M3 RWD can be had for £2k less than a eCorsa ultimate…

Just my opinion.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Exy1 and Adopado
The shipping cost from China really not a lot per car and is probably less than the cost to truck then from Germany to the U.K. They bring thousands over on a single roll on roll off ships.

Say it’s £1000 per car and 2000 cars on a boat, that’s £2million for a single sailing that takes a couple of weeks. I’m pretty sure than can fit more than 2000 cars on on a single ship. I can’t see it being north of £2million.

The ‘killer’ in terms of cost is the 10% import tariff that gets passed on to us.

Edit: I just checked and I could ship my own car to Hong Kong from Southampton via a roll on roll off ferry for £640. Obviously I’d have to get it there and arrange pickup. If Tesla are chartering the entire boat, you can guarantee they are paying less.
The larger ones can fit nearly 6000 cars on 19 decks. Maybe it's cheaper to send it back as they probably go back nearly empty! Probably a few hundred tons of fuel is a good million quid? You're paying for the fuel both ways as the ship goes back nearly empty. Doubt anyone's got 6000 cars to ship to China! The ships probably cost up to £200m to make so there's costs to spread this around, profits and crew (though not many of them on these ships- probably only 15-20). I've seen the videos where they have about 100 staff driving them off in a shift. Yeah, probably closer to £1000 per car on reflection.

Reactions: Ricecooker
The larger ones can fit nearly 6000 cars on 19 decks. Maybe it's cheaper to send it back as they probably go back nearly empty! Probably a few hundred tons of fuel is a good million quid? You're paying for the fuel both ways as the ship goes back nearly empty. Doubt anyone's got 6000 cars to ship to China! The ships probably cost up to £200m to make so there's costs to spread this around, profits and crew (though not many of them on these ships- probably only 15-20). I've seen the videos where they have about 100 staff driving them off in a shift. Yeah, probably closer to £1000 per car on reflection.

The most informed person with regard to the shipping of Teslas (who is on the forum) is @Mr Miserable He knows the numbers of vehicles on whatever types of ships so may be able to help with an opinion of the likely cost per car.

He knows the numbers of vehicles on whatever types of ships so may be able to help with an opinion of the likely cost per car.

Indeed :) I did a google earlier which suggested that Bunker Oil was $600 per tonne, container ships (not the same as RoRo of course ... I'm figuring Container ships may be a lot bigger / more thirsty than RoRo) use between 75 - 100 tonnes a day, and assuming its a 30 day voyage and 4,000 cars, I made that a max of $450 per vehicle

I'd be interested in @Mr Miserable putting me straight :)

As always - great if you believe in Tesla are "transitioning everyone to electric", or a shareholder, not so great if you're just a lowly owner hoping to not take a massive bath on residuals.

I wonder how this will all shake out with financing. If you were a finance company surely you'd want to err on the side of caution and assume a lower GFV than is suggested by the current price?

I feel for the people who bought towards the latter part of last year, with the current interest rates and none of the discounts, even considering "they accepted the price they paid".

Reactions: CWT3LR
If you were a finance company surely you'd want to err on the side of caution and assume a lower GFV than is suggested by the current price?
Precisely this. The price might be lower but the cost to own won't be, if anything a lower GFV and higher interest rates mean it might be even more expensive even if, on paper, the price of the car comes down.

Basically no one really wins unless you're a cash buyer with 40/50/60k burning a hole in your pocket - but I suspect someone like that will probably have a bit more cash and will probably prefer to own something a bit more premium.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Model 3 Performance now £52,290! Stock clear out ahead of Highland I think?
going to have to happen at some point. And if you just want a performance to drive it may be a good deal though I would argue if you want the "old"model at this point a used one would be a better bet because whatever you save now is going to cost you later in depreciation vs the new model if 2023 versions of both exist come resale time. not to mention any new refinements the highland model has....

going to have to happen at some point. And if you just want a performance to drive it may be a good deal though I would argue if you want the "old"model at this point a used one would be a better bet because whatever you save now is going to cost you later in depreciation vs the new model if 2023 versions of both exist come resale time. not to mention any new refinements the highland model has....

what do we think they might have held back? They’ve been pretty regular with updates since introducting the model 3. Unlike other cars that tend to hold changes back for mid-cycle refreshes or new model designs its much more incremental with tesla

what do we think they might have held back? They’ve been pretty regular with updates since introducting the model 3. Unlike other cars that tend to hold changes back for mid-cycle refreshes or new model designs its much more incremental with tesla
No idea. maybe any or all of

HW4
New Cameras?
HD radar?
functioning USB ports
Proper matrix LED functionality
Working windscreen wipers
interior changes / upgrades
The ability to turn off the vents on the passenger side of the car at will

personally I would quite fancy vented seats which lots of cars in this class have

Though who knows maybe they will just use it as an excuse to take off more stuff like the stalks and the top and bottom of the steering wheel?