Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Price cuts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the experience I had with my ID3, I wouldn't touch another VW EV unless they start from scratch with the software & implement something more modern and useable. It can't be overstated how atrocious the software is to use and how buggy it is. It seems the update to version 3.0 of the software that was supposed to be starting roll out before I sold mine in Feb22 is still not available to most people.
My wife has an ID.3 and we share your despair.

No sign of software 3.0 anytime yet on her car and its just been booked in for its second recall - this one is to drop the HV battery to 'see if there are any faulty cells and replace them'. There are no symptoms or warnings, just a major recall.

She's already had a new 12v battery and earlier software update which required her car to be at the dealers for 2 weeks. The car is booked in for 12th July for the HV recall - 'We're a bit busy'.

Let's not even mention 'the app'...

Staggering that we're 15 years past the launch of the first iPhone and still major companies are releasing software that is a complete disaster.

I don't understand how this can happen, really. Surely the engineers (and project managers) involved in creating these things must have had experience of other, much better UX. And it's not like they're porting old software from previous ICE based cars - or at least I'd like to think they aren't. There's no excuse for ground up written software to be as bad as this in 2023.

People can moan about the lack of CarPlay, Android Auto, etc on Teslas but the software and UX is more or less excellent (assuming you have decent vision).

This coupled with the apparent delay of the upcoming Macan EV (built on VW’s new PPE architecture) probably gives an insight into some of the woes at VAG group at the moment. They need to sort it as a more competitive EV marketplace would be good for all but it’s a major turn off at present.

Tesla software does seem to be ‘tight’ by comparison, even if there is a bit of a Southern California bias at times.

Reactions: Durzel
Which ones ?
There are over 60 across the country in pretty much all colour combinations, although very few red ones. Weirdly some of the stock only saves £3k or nothing at all so sort by price.

1679112847973.jpeg

Called it. I was actually way too conservative…

Model 3 prices have dropped as well:
  • Tesla Model 3: £48,490 -> £42,990 (-£5,500, -11.34%)
  • Tesla Model 3 Long Range: £57,490 -> £50,990 (-£6,500, -11.30%)
  • Tesla Model 3 Performance: £61,490 -> £57,990 (-£3,500, -5.69%)
So much for residuals lol.

Worse than that...

Brand new Tesla Model 3 Performance for £53,280

... and there's LOTS of them coming through...

Screenshot_20230318_222057_Chrome.jpg

Staggering that we're 15 years past the launch of the first iPhone and still major companies are releasing software that is a complete disaster.

I don't understand how this can happen, really. Surely the engineers (and project managers) involved in creating these things must have had experience of other, much better UX. And it's not like they're porting old software from previous ICE based cars - or at least I'd like to think they aren't. There's no excuse for ground up written software to be as bad as this in 2023.

People can moan about the lack of CarPlay, Android Auto, etc on Teslas but the software and UX is more or less excellent (assuming you have decent vision).
I am not sure the iPhone is a good marker in tile for ‘good software’. However, developing good reliable software of moderate complexity is still hard and requires a lot of edge case testing. There is a reason that Apple, Google and Microsoft all have 1000’s of software developers and need large market shares to be profitable. Cars are not that high volume and have high costs, so the money available for software development will only support much smaller teams that do not have the capacity to polish everything.

I would argue though, that they are perhaps polishing the wrong things :)

With these price reductions, that will certainly restrict the ongoing team size for software development.

Was it ever thus. I started in IT (called computing then) in 1976 with IBM 370 computers. The newly released software was always buggy. The fix? 'Ah yes, just install (and buy!) this new hardware upgrade and everything will be fine'. Which it was - until the software stretched the hardware again and so the cycle continued.

Reactions: init6
I am not sure the iPhone is a good marker in tile for ‘good software’. However, developing good reliable software of moderate complexity is still hard and requires a lot of edge case testing. There is a reason that Apple, Google and Microsoft all have 1000’s of software developers and need large market shares to be profitable. Cars are not that high volume and have high costs, so the money available for software development will only support much smaller teams that do not have the capacity to polish everything.

I would argue though, that they are perhaps polishing the wrong things :)
The message you quoted was more talking about the software on VW (or VAG group) cars than Tesla, the conversation wandered off topic a bit. I would say Tesla do the best job of any of car maker with their software. It's certainly not perfect, as we all know, but they are a technology company who makes cars rather than a legacy car maker who hasn't figured out how to properly incorporate a usable computer into a car. I think it's hard to deny the usability of the software is leagues ahead of other marques (regardless of whether you think there should be more physical buttons or disagree with some implementations). I'm mainly referring to the UX (user experience) than the actual functionality of the car. There are a few things the ID3 does much better than Teslas; matrix lights, auto wipers, TACC to name a few are much much better than the M3. Though you could argue the better auto wipers may be more to do with having a proper rain sensor than the software implementation.

With these price reductions, that will certainly restrict the ongoing team size for software development.

To get back on topic: I very much doubt Tesla will ever compromise on their development teams with the goal of reducing costs. The price reductions are likely more to do with Tesla's ability to now increase production to a point where economies of scale make the process cheaper for them, coupled with the changes they have make to their production processes over time and reducing their overheads by bringing everything in-house. There could be a number of other factors too (guess-work); HW4 is coming, they could be off-loading cars made with previous hardware. They could simply be cutting their profit margins now cars are being made slightly faster than the demand to sell them.

Reactions: init6 and Jason71
Bit the bullet and ordered my MY - found one in inventory - brand new but £2850 less than building new on the app!
Collection came up as available from 29 March, but have put on hold as I need it after 5th April.
I got a text saying 'Unfortunately we don't deliver new vehicles between 01 April & mid-May. This is our off period where we must go through our orders and prepare for the next quarter'
Not an issue as my old car is not due to go back until June anyway, but just wondered if anyone else has had this?!

2023 MY RWD White, White interior, Black 20" wheels

They have kept my price for the inventory car, just said it's either by 31st March or after mid-May, nothing inbetween!
I would assume they are expecting the inventory car to be sold and you get another one next quarter. If it doesn't sell by 31 March then there would be no reason not to let you take delivery in April, but Tesla don't normally honour the discount price after quarter end.

Historically there are no vehicles in the country and no ships arriving in the first month of the quarter and therefore no sales, but things are changing now with Tesla not able to sell all the cars they import - Tesla sold 600 cars in Jan 2023 so Tesla can no longer say nothing in between.

I am wondering if now is a good time to buy a Model Y RWD considering the price cuts that happened and the end of quarter push. I can now buy a Demo vehicle for about 44k which is really good but I am wondering what they plan next if they have that many vehicles in inventory at a discount.

If they sell a cheaper Model Y or better in 6 months this will be a bad time. WHat do you think ? Is buying a demo car on discount a good idea ?

I am wondering if now is a good time to buy a Model Y RWD considering the price cuts that happened and the end of quarter push. I can now buy a Demo vehicle for about 44k which is really good but I am wondering what they plan next if they have that many vehicles in inventory at a discount.

If they sell a cheaper Model Y or better in 6 months this will be a bad time. WHat do you think ? Is buying a demo car on discount a good idea ?

If you have a coin ... toss it ... if you have a crystal ball ... stare into it ... if you want the car, just buy it!