Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Servicing Update...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
I had booked my S in for the revised first year 'service' which was only the brake caliber lubrication as required in 'cold weather areas'.

Just got a phone call to say that the requirments had been adjusted and the UK was no longer considered to be a 'cold weather area' so no need for anything at all in the first year..

Naturally I've asked for that to be confirmed via email.

• Informative
Reactions: WannabeOwner
I had booked my S in for the revised first year 'service' which was only the brake caliber lubrication as required in 'cold weather areas'.

Just got a phone call to say that the requirments had been adjusted and the UK was no longer considered to be a 'cold weather area' so no need for anything at all in the first year..

Naturally I've asked for that to be confirmed via email.

The servicing requirements have gone from one extreme to another :rolleyes:. I too will be making sure I have written evidence that I've followed the manual - i.e. 12 months/12.5 miles, and that Tesla's response was "our recommendation is that you don't need a service Sir". PCP box ticked nicely :).

The only slight negative to this approach is that they used to be quite proactive and look for warranty issues, but as I don't have any intention of keeping the car beyond warranty I'm happy to forego that - unless I notice something of course.

2015 model S 85D owner here. I was told by a tesla employee in year 1 when they fixed a door issue that he thought the first year service was totally unnecessary, so I skipped it. Even the 2 year service seemed a bit of a formality. I wouldnt ever consider annual service for a tesla in the UK, unless you do crazy miles in it.

Just to save people hunting for the other thread where I posted the details:

Got some prices to go with those items, all inc. labour and VAT: First price is for the 'S', second for the 'X':

Cabin Air filter: £27.30/£43.40
HEPA filter £209.79/£218.49
Brake fluid test: £17.40/£17.40
Brake fluid flush if needed £159.90/£186.00
AC Desiccant £151.06/£194.00
Winter Care £174/£174 - UPDATE: Not required in the UK
Wheel Alignment if needed: £174/£174

So for an S with HEPA that looks like this:

Year 1 £0
Year 2 £195.76 + £159.90 if brake fluid flush needed
Year 3 £209.79
Year 4 £195.76 + £159.90 if brake fluid flush needed

For an X with HEPA:

Year 1 £0
Year 2 £43.40 + £186.00 if brake fluid flush needed
Year 3 £218.49
Year 4 £254.80 + £186.00 if brake fluid flush needed

Always keeping in mind that if tyre wear indicates a need for wheel alignment check at any time then add £174.

• Informative
Reactions: .jg. and gangzoom
Brake fluid test: £17.40/£17.40
Brake fluid flush if needed £159.90/£186.00
AC Desiccant £151.06/£194.00

Whys the brake fluid replacement so overpriced? From what I understand the brakes are essentially the same as old 90s Ferrari Brembo setups, even BMW main dealers only charge £70.

AC seems Ok, especially the X which has two HAVC systems.

As for wheel alignment since passing my driving test 20 years ago I don't think I have EVER go it done on any car I've owned, so why start now :).

Looks like our first true 'service' cost will be a brake fluid change at the local independ who charges £55. Have already got a 'spare' third party HEPA filter and looks like cabin filter from Tesla is only a £20 part, so will DIY those. Not bad considering the car will be close to 30k by than!!

Oh just seen Amazon sells brake fluid test strips for £7, so will only get it changed if needed. May not need to do any paid servicing on this thing till it hits nearly 60k, fab :).

Last edited:
Reactions: goRt
Tyre wear? (if you were to bump a curb and clobber a pothole badly)

I've never had a car suffer un-even tyre wear, not in 20 years of driving. Changed the tyres on our X at 25K, no issues with uneven wear.

Every time I visit my local tyre garage I see the flashing lasers of the Hunter alignment machine flashing a me with all kinds of adverts.....I'm ALWAYS suspicious of things that's pushed by advertising than real need. If I ever own a car with uneven tyre wear I'll get the alignment done, so who knows sure in the next 20 years of car ownership it might happen :).

Early Model S had a tendency to drift out of alignment easily, sometimes during transport from factory to delivery. There were a number of cases of tyre wear so bad that Tesla replaced the tyres under warranty. Check back pages of TMC for details. Alignment then got added to the service schedule. Almost certainly there were design changes to reduce the problem.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That is unfortunate...

I'd suggest you ask them if they would 'refund' it anyway or perhaps convert it into a service centre credit or an extended warranty.

It was worth over £2000 to you originally but now it is worth only a fraction of that.

With regards to winter check, my manual has just been updated and for the UK it's pretty clear we are a country that would need it:

Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)

Even more confused now ;) I've emailed the service manager, one to validate the validity of my service plan but also what if anything is needed for Y1

From past experience the SC's dont alwasy have the same bible so i suspect a different answer :)

Clean and lubricate brake calipers every year or 12,500 miles (if in an area where roads are salted during the Winter)

I agree even balmy Surrey gets the roads gritted occasionally.

From past experience the SC's dont alwasy have the same bible so i suspect a different answer

As long as I have the answer I want in writing that will do for me, any inconsistency isn't my problem.

Reactions: Fellsteruk
So are the official servicing intervals for S/X still annual/ 12.5k miles? I also have a 4 year service plan so will cancel it if better off (just coming up to 25k mile service). But I'm on PCP with a very generous GMFV so I can't afford to cut any corners on servicing.

So are the official servicing intervals for S/X still annual/ 12.5k miles? I also have a 4 year service plan so will cancel it if better off (just coming up to 25k mile service). But I'm on PCP with a very generous GMFV so I can't afford to cut any corners on servicing.

There’s a new manual which confirms the new servicing guidelines, if you log onto your My Tesla it’ll be there. It removes the mileage link and has a short list of what’s recommended - certainly nothing that would make a service plan continuing good value. Post #6 above is very helpful.

The PCP requires servicing ‘in line with manufacturers recommendation’ so having had 2 services so far I’m going to email Tesla near the 3rd year point and ask what they recommend I have done, and will follow that advice. That’s following PCP small print to the letter, and protects my also very valuable GFV.

• Informative
Reactions: Peteski

Check the manual linked in your Tesla account, you should find this:

upload_2019-6-3_8-43-2.png

I had my car booked in for its first service just for the brake clean and lube, Tesla called to cancel as they had decided it was not required for the UK, I got them to email me to confirm that.

I would suggest that you either proceed with the lube regardless, or get them to email to confirm as I did.

I will be forwarding the email to Black Horse anyway just in case...