Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Would you buy another tesla

Would you buy another Tesla

• Yes

Votes: 213 53.1%
  • No

Votes: 55 13.7%
  • Unsure

Votes: 88 21.9%
  • Absolutely no way due to the way tesla treat their customers

Votes: 21 5.2%
  • Of course, Tesla are the best thing since sliced bread

Votes: 24 6.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am still waiting for the new smaller "affordable" Tesla to be released, I love my M3 but it's still a big car, there are only 2 of us and I use it for commuting and occasional days out. Bought it new last December and nearing 10k miles and the car has had no problems what so ever.
95% of charging is done at home with only the occasional charge at a supercharger, to date I have not used any other chargers so don't know what they are like.
If Tesla reported they were to release the new vehicle then they could have my deposit tomorrow

Reactions: jr_gn and ringi
Love my M3 SR+ and have had no issues with it in now nearly 3.5 years and 22,000 miles, I'm retired so small mileage. I love the simplicity of driving it, the power when needed and how cheap as chips it is to run from Home Charging. That said an improvement in Customer Service would go a long way to removing the negatives you so often hear about.

I really like my M3P, but it's shortcomings (in particular noise levels) are steering me away from a second one. I only so a few raod trips per year so the SC network is not a biggie for me. I'm seriously looking at the BYD Seal AWD version love the look of it and it's getting good reviews. It should be coming to the UK later this year. Yes, I know there are many unanswered questions on the BYD but they are a huge company and are making tens of thousands of Seals so I expect it to be pretty sorted by the time it comes to our shores.

Last edited:
This is an interesting question, and very appropriate for me just now...

One of the joys of being 'older' is that I'm likely to retire in about a year, however that means my salary sacrifice M3P will be going back and I need to look at a replacement. Given more limited finances, but a desire to remain with an EV, we have been out looking at new cars in the £30-40K area (probably a PCP, so monthly cost will actually be the driving force). I have also started 'lurking' on various forums of possible alternative cars - yes, I know full well that forums are overwhelmingly negative!

To cut to the chase, I'm now actually thinking about getting another Model 3 - maybe new, but more likely a 2nd hand LR (assuming prices have settled a little in 12 months time). My logic may be flawed, but here we go:
  • The new alternatives all seem to have had/are having basic software issues on the car
  • The competition all say over the air updates are a thing, but the actual occurrences seem rare (or back to the dealer in reality)
  • The displays/infotainment in the competitors feel really laggy, even compared to my 2020 car
  • There seem to be real issues with the 'phone apps' the other cars have (I know my wife's e208 one is shocking)
  • My M3P has actually improved, and got additional features since I got it (I'm one of the lucky ones with no issues with AHB and wipers!)
  • The dealers (and there's an issue right there) have all tried to sell me a 'service plan' as well, and they are not necessarily cheap plans either
  • I've got used to the built in dashcam/sentry - I know they are not as good as 3rd party options, but those cost extra and don't look great (imo)
  • I'm a fan of 'get in and drive off' (I'm confused by the need for start/stop buttons tbh)
  • Proper regen braking and hold (one-pedal driving) seems a challenge on other cars - oh, and I really hate them 'creeping'
  • Lastly, having the option of ALL Superchargers and ALL 3rd party chargers is a huge factor for our occasional long trips
Summary - currently yes, I will likely get another Tesla :p

An “unsure” vote from me, first time Tesla (and EV-) owner, 1 year into M3 SR+ ownership having done 9,000 miles so far.

Biggest pros from me are drive train (speed, responsiveness), handling, charging network and clean design of the interior. Biggest con for me is that it isn’t as solidly build as its competitors.

I still wouldn’t switch right now because of the charging network. Spent total of 6 hours on the road yesterday, during Friday morning and evening rush hours, and found plenty of free chargers at the Newport Pagnell and Rugby SC’s. Non Tesla chargers at those sites seemed to be either broken or occupied.

The new alternatives all seem to have had/are having basic software issues on the car
  • The competition all say over the air updates are a thing, but the actual occurrences seem rare (or back to the dealer in reality)
  • The dealers (and there's an issue right there) have all tried to sell me a 'service plan' as well, and they are not necessarily cheap plans either
  • I'm a fan of 'get in and drive off' (I'm confused by the need for start/stop buttons tbh)
Even though our other EV, Fiat 500e is not comparable to a Tesla it's typical of many others...
  • It's been awaiting a two day service centre visit for nearly six months to receive a software update that as far as Fiat user groups are concerned adds absolutely nothing of worth (the dealer agreed last week that we won't bother until/if something useful results).

• Earlier today I reluctantly signed up to a 3 year fixed price-discounted service plan/1st two MOTs (first service a week ago was £126). Stellantis invalidate much of the warranty if you don't service the car annually even though it's basically nothing apart from a little video recording pat on the back and attention to 'six essential fluids' (I could only imagine a couple so presumably the rest are taking the...)

• As it's my wife's car I try to remember not to activate the wipers every time I want to select drive & have to push a little start button on the dash & then another for drive.

trickle charge overnight

:)

I wonder how much battery a multi-stall Supercharger site would need in order to deliver full kW - the required kW declines as car charges, so only required for part of a charge, but if there are several cars charging then statistically One/Several of them will be at "full power". I haven't done the maths, but seems unlikely that a battery could wait until "overnight" to recharge, I think it would need to do it continuously to then be able to cover the full power spikes. Seems to me battery is more about avoiding demand charges by keeping max-grid-draw below whatever is the threshold for "much higher demand-price", rather than timeshift from night Rate to Day Rate.

I would be interested if anyone has the figures.

Biggest con for me is that it isn’t as solidly build as its competitors.

It will fair pretty well if it has someone else's accident. MY has the highest NCAP score (and I think the M3 did too, at the time it was tested). Since then OTA has improved the air bag deployment based on actual logged crash data ...

I know you didn't mean that sort of "solidly", but I think its a nice-to-have when choosing a car

I'm on my second Tesla. The first was a Freemont built 2020 M3P with horrendous build quality problems that i traded in for a new Model Y in March 2022 taking advantage of the very high trade in value by Tesla. I also took advantage of the pre prise rise Model Y price so have been less affected by the recent price drop. The Model Y Shanghai is MUCH better built but i really do miss the handling and performance of my M3P. My plan is to order the next facelift M3P in 2023/2024, hopefully by then the trade in value on my Model Y has improved!. Long term i will probably always run a Tesla as my DD and use Porsche ICE/EV's second cars when i want to experience something special

Reactions: kcrane and boombap
Answered “Yes,” and after 2-1/2 years with my M3SR+, waiting for a MYP. Delivery Date in 5 weeks, ordered 6 monthis ago, before a LOT of recent hullabaloo. However, none of that stuff bothers me. I live in Japan, and have investigated all alternative EVs available here, and even test-drove some. Teslas are head-and-shoulders (might that mean about 25%?) above all competition in practically every category. I have no emotional investment in the leadership/politics issues, and not attached to gizmos and driving aids (that much). My M3 drives well for myself and my wife, can scoot and corner plenty good enough, efficient, low-maintenance, no-fuss … and very few nitpicks. I test drove the ‘22 and ‘23 MYP, and it gives all the above with easier ingress/egress, longer range, and more room … and was sold. For anyone that has the ability to home charge (not easy in Japan) and grasp basic technology, I would heartily recommend at least consideration.

cheers!

Reactions: kcrane
I would especially at the new lower price.

What other EV 4 door can match Tesla AND have an adequate charging network?
Others offer better interior quality, tech and at the moment access to Tesla Super Chargers and then it will change by next couple of years

And in general, SCs are nice to have but after 1 year ownership - need of SCs is a bit of overstated

Yep. Just did. Will do again.

I wouldn’t have bought a 2nd Model 3, I loved the car while I had it, but the practicality wasn't quite there. The Y is basically the perfect car for my use case and unless any other manufacturer deploys their own equally reliable Supercharger network, then I won’t be switching to a different EV brand. Did consider an ID Buzz but going from concept to reality has left a lot to be desired In my opinion and it has too many trade offs, Ionic 5 also disappointed a bit despite that matte silver looking awesome.

Next one will probably be another Y if they start shipping from Berlin with the new colours, otherwise maybe an S as I tend to prefer the sedan shape but need a rear hatch.

10% of votes so far echo your feelings.......Is this vote going as anticipated:)
I think you mistook the reason for the thread, it isn’t to reinforce my own feelings of anything, I am quite happy with forming an opinion on my own and being able to listen to reasoned argument which could then influence my opinion one way or another.
I know some people who buy certain products become unpaid ambassadors for the brand, and won’t have a bad word said against them, and then there are the others who totally hate everything about it even if they secretly want to like it.
I know you love your Tesla, the whole brand and ethos, and there is nothing wrong with that at all (I have seen your posts in another forum that we both use), and for being open I voted unsure as if I feel there is a better car that more suits my needs when it comes to my time to change then I’ll buy something else, and if at that time I feel that that car is a Tesla then I’ll buy another, hence voting unsure.
Everyone is allowed to have different opinions and thoughts, and I’m interested in those thoughts.
There is no need to say what you voted for tho😉