Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unable to unlock via phone after MCU replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my AP2 90D center screen would not come on, or reboot. The MCU and screen (had the yellow line around the edge) were replaced under warranty. Now I can't unlock the car or open the trunk via the app, but sunroof will still vent and close. I have checked every setting I can think of and still cannot fix this. Any ideas? Back to the Service Center?

Try resetting your tesla password if you haven’t already.

Unfortunately, that didn't help. I noticed today that if I send "Lock" from my phone the lights flash but the doors don't lock. The car is clearly receiving the signal, but does not want to lock or unlock the doors. I looked at all the controls and settings again, I can't figure out what's not set correctly

Follow up:
I called the service center. It took them about a week, but they fixed the problem remotely.
The app is working normally again.

Hi there! I believe I have the same exact issue. Can you tell me how you described the problem to the service center, or what technical phrases they used to describe the problem? That way I can phrase it in a way that they will understand exactly what to do. Thank you!

Reactions: sku100
I had the exact same problem : No FRUNK, TRUNK, Opening via iphone App.
Moreover when i'm trying the Smart Summon, the car tells me "No key detected".
Gonna try this solution with service Center...

Thx for clue... I'll let you know..

Cyril

Same issue for my 2014 MS85 AP1. They replaced my failed MCU with a refurbished MCU and now having this issue. I have reported to them via iOS app and even visited the service center. Still no resolution...3 weeks and counting. I am now totally fed up with Tesla Service..because this shouldn't even be an issue. It is super simple fix, and or shouldn't have even occurred. I really really hope something big happens to Tesla so they can fix their service.

Same issue for my 2014 MS85 AP1. They replaced my failed MCU with a refurbished MCU and now having this issue. I have reported to them via iOS app and even visited the service center. Still no resolution...3 weeks and counting. I am now totally fed up with Tesla Service..because this shouldn't even be an issue. It is super simple fix, and or shouldn't have even occurred. I really really hope something big happens to Tesla so they can fix their service.

I am having the same issue 85D AP1 after an MCU replacement. Got a text it was fixed remotely but still not working.

CHECKLIST AFTER MCU INSTALL

· BOOT TIME IS NORMAL , No “Please Wait while system powers up”

· NO YELLOW DISCOLORATION ON SCREEN SUCH AS AROUND EDGES

· NO BUBBLES ON SCREEN

· AIR CONDITIONER WORKS

· CAN ATTACH TO WIFI - ( SSID: )

· BLUETOOTH WORKS

· AM/FM RADIO WORKS

· XM RADIO WORKS

· SLACKER / TUNE IN WORKS

· REAR CAMERA WORKS

· CAN SEE CAR IN TESLA APP

· Can lock and unlock car, open trunk from app, and keyless driving

o (If fails, tech needs to “RESET THE MCU COMMANDS KEY”)

· MAPS AND NAV WORKS

· BROWSER WORKS

· TURN SIGNALS WORK

· CHARGING WORKS

CHECKLIST AFTER MCU INSTALL

· BOOT TIME IS NORMAL , No “Please Wait while system powers up”

· NO YELLOW DISCOLORATION ON SCREEN SUCH AS AROUND EDGES

· NO BUBBLES ON SCREEN

· AIR CONDITIONER WORKS

· CAN ATTACH TO WIFI - ( SSID: )

· BLUETOOTH WORKS

· AM/FM RADIO WORKS

· XM RADIO WORKS

· SLACKER / TUNE IN WORKS

· REAR CAMERA WORKS

· CAN SEE CAR IN TESLA APP

· Can lock and unlock car, open trunk from app, and keyless driving

o (If fails, tech needs to “RESET THE MCU COMMANDS KEY”)

· MAPS AND NAV WORKS

· BROWSER WORKS

· TURN SIGNALS WORK

· CHARGING WORKS

check to make sure the Mileage is correct.

Reactions: reddy
I had an otherwise successful MCU replacement a week ago. I gave my list to the Ranger to be sure everything was working before he left. They don't give these guys enough time to actually complete the reprogramming, so he left while the car was still updating itself.

I told him about my concerns that the app wouldn't unlock the car, and they needed to reset the MCU Command Key. He said he had never heard about that, but if it was a problem to text him.

And of course, the app won't unlock the car from the app.

I texted the Ranger, and he replied that they would send a newer build of the software to me. They did, it updated, and the car still won't unlock from the app. I texted that they needed to reset the MCU Command Key.

They replied by text that they would have somebody do it. Nothing changed.

Five days later I call Tesla support, do all the preliminary dance for 10 minutes so that they can actually read your records, and the tech support has never heard of resetting the MCU Command Key. They suggested that I reboot the car a few times and reinstall the app.

When I told him that I had already done those things, he entered a ticket for the Ranger to come back in a week. I told him that seemed unnecessary since I had seen (here in this thread) that it could be done remotely. He said he would put in a ticket to do that, but scheduled the Ranger anyway.

It sounds like Tesla still needs to refine the MCU replacement process. I still can't control anything from the app. And they are wasting Ranger time on stuff they can do from home base.