Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unauthorized use of my HPWC...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I arrived home this morning to discover a Model X P100D parked in a space adjacent to mine, charging with my wall connector. My building is equipped with EV charging as well as other Teslas owners installing their own chargers. My initial reaction, "I feel violated...Why? Why? Why?" The building management contacted the owner and he moved his car promptly. The guy said his MX had no charge and he needed a quick juice and my wall connector was the closest. I checked his vehicle and it did show only 5km charged. However, I wouldn't know how much he would've charged if I had been out all day. It felt so wrong on so many levels....1. Not contacting building management to find a solution. 2. Not contacting the owner of the wall connector. 3. Not leaving a note informing of the usage.

I'm assuming you own the HPWC and the accompanying electricity coming from there

Step 1: Drill a 1cm hole in the plastic lip at the tip of the charging wand
Step 2: Drill a 1cm hole in the corresponding place at the charging wand dock
Step 3: Buy a nice thick padlock and lock the wand to the dock when not in use.
*take note to avoid padlock contact with charging pins

**may void warranty of HPWC

You don’t have to drill anything... you can easily add rings and padlock it that way. Or you can opt to lock your killswitch.

I have however taken a different approach. I live in a “village house” and have installed it outdoors.

75638B65-3198-4D78-9330-8467832933CD.jpeg
DECEE7F8-0566-4E85-A58A-2FE73B235C95.jpeg

I arrived home this morning to discover a Model X P100D parked in a space adjacent to mine, charging with my wall connector. My building is equipped with EV charging as well as other Teslas owners installing their own chargers. My initial reaction, "I feel violated...Why? Why? Why?" The building management contacted the owner and he moved his car promptly. The guy said his MX had no charge and he needed a quick juice and my wall connector was the closest. I checked his vehicle and it did show only 5km charged. However, I wouldn't know how much he would've charged if I had been out all day. It felt so wrong on so many levels....1. Not contacting building management to find a solution. 2. Not contacting the owner of the wall connector. 3. Not leaving a note informing of the usage.
And that is why you should keep the circuit
You don’t have to drill anything... you can easily add rings and padlock it that way. Or you can opt to lock your killswitch.

I have however taken a different approach. I live in a “village house” and have installed it outdoors.

View attachment 283427 View attachment 283428
where’d you get this? A fine looking box!

Reactions: Galve2000

Wow... Used to live in HK and left a couple years ago... Seen some crazy stuff in commercial and residential parking lots but this has me scratching my head... Since you mentioned building mgt contacted the owner, so is this guy a resident of your apt complex with a Tesla but without his own charger or just a visitor? Presume he's not some random Tesla person coming off the street.

Wow... Used to live in HK and left a couple years ago... Seen some crazy stuff in commercial and residential parking lots but this has me scratching my head... Since you mentioned building mgt contacted the owner, so is this guy a resident of your apt complex with a Tesla but without his own charger or just a visitor? Presume he's not some random Tesla person coming off the street.
This guy was a driver from a nearby complex. The MX owner rented a CP space in my building. All he had to do was stay in the car in case I came back to explain and he couldn't even do that....

As you can see, I have a similar setup but I don't lock nor shut off the circuit. Never would I imagine anyone would pull something this dumb. Guess I'm the dumb one.

Attachments

• 20180228_105320.jpg
    20180228_105320.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 757
  • 20180228_105330.jpg
    20180228_105330.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 766
As you can see, I have a similar setup but I don't lock nor shut off the circuit. Never would I imagine anyone would pull something this dumb. Guess I'm the dumb one.
I completely understand what you mean... I don’t lock mine either but I did give myself the option.

I mean a full charge isn’t all that expensive and I would gladly let someone emergency charge if they were that desperate.

The fact that the person who charged off yours didn’t even have the decency to ask is just unacceptable.

The fact that the person who charged off yours didn’t even have the decency to ask is just unacceptable.

Which raises the question, is it possible for a desperate owner to contact the owner of an HPWC? Did OP have a phone number on it? I guess ask building management?

I'm not sure what would annoy me more, someone using my charger without knowing or some stranger being given my mobile phone number so they can ask me to use my charger!

Is the garage publicly accessible or only other residents? I'd be inclined to put it on Plugshare as a home charger - "OK to use between <hours you are normally out> for emergencies only - 1-2 hours max"

There could've been multiple options for this situation but this guy chose the worse one, walking away and leaving the vehicle unattended. On a lower level, there are several HPWC the building management installed that charges HK$20 (US$2.55) per hour.

Reactions: icemankaka
I'm not sure what would annoy me more, someone using my charger without knowing or some stranger being given my mobile phone number so they can ask me to use my charger!
The building management can easily contact the owner without giving away the owner's number.

On a lower level, there are several HPWC the building management installed that charges HK$20 (US$2.55) per hour.
In this case I see no reason why he couldn't just use those.

Had I lived in apartment buildings, I most likely would lock mine especially if the building allows visitor parking.

Clearly i wasn't thinking (or was I over thinking it?).
Yeaa just loop the cable and lock it.

Wow. Clearly this is a much better execution if you've got the time to dress it up.

On a lower level, there are several HPWC the building management installed that charges HK$20 (US$2.55) per hour.

some Tesla drivers have made all of us being labelled as selfish drivers, and this guy took it to a whole new level by making use of your HPWC...I guess everyone should learn the lesson and make sure you lock your wall connector

Where did you find the Tesla panel for the charger? We have an exterior installation, and a panel in front of the pole would be more attractive.

There could've been multiple options for this situation but this guy chose the worse one, walking away and leaving the vehicle unattended. On a lower level, there are several HPWC the building management installed that charges HK$20 (US$2.55) per hour.
Okay well I was reading this and was thinking you were not being reasonable.
However, NOW I understand your frustration. I didn't know there were other charging options in the building. Just Rude!