Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Under the new Frunk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question for you guys with homelink.

How does it know what state the door is in?

So if I pull up and it automatically sends a signal what if the door was already open? Does it know?
The module is Homelink 5 but Tesla does not support the two way communication options to check door state and simply acts like a regular opener. I’m hoping someday they support open and close and state of the door and not simply toggle what state the door is in. I have the MyQ internet bridge as well which does the same thing over the internet, not just wifi. These days I have siri on my Apple watch open or close the door or tell me what state it is in regardless how close I am to the house. I never have to wait for the door to go up now.
Tesla ignoring the technical features of the Homelink module has annoyed me for years. I complain about it at every opportunity.

Why can’t Tesla program the front camera to recognize if the garage door is open? For a car flushed with tech, it’s inability to know if the door is open or not was odd to me. Perhaps I’m expecting too much.
No not expecting to much at least I don't think. Specially if you buy the M3P. Most if not all cars in this price range come with the ability to open the garage door or the gate at a private community or both gate and garage door. It is a $300 device installed after delivery, has to be cheaper at the factory without having a guy come to the house to do it.

No excuses this device not being included or at least a way for the smart car to open a dumb door.

It doesn't know the state. So if you drive up to it and your wife's SUV tail gate is open... And garage door will be triggered by homelink and it'll close on your suv trunk and cost you $4000 to fix. Ask me how I know.

I had that exact fear! That's why I designed an opener with a sensor that my m3 uses to only open the door. if the door is already open, nothing happens.

Some openers do actually have discrete open and close commands (including my own) but for some reason the homelink module in the m3 doesn't properly learn those codes. So I made my own.

Reactions: akidesir
I have cameras on my house, so it is really convenient to open or close the garage door using the Tesla and Homelink parked in the garage to either let someone in or close the door that has been left open. All of this will work from the Smartphone app.

So with the Homelink addition if someone steals your car, say from the airport as you were on a trip, and decides to drive by your house after getting your address from the car registration, will the garage door automatically open for them?

So with the Homelink addition if someone steals your car, say from the airport as you were on a trip, and decides to drive by your house after getting your address from the car registration, will the garage door automatically open for them?
Remember, you can set the distance for the door to open--typically 10-20'. If you house is that close to the street, pick a lower setting.

A good garage option is to install Liftmaster MyQ modules to each door, and also the Liftmaster Home Bridge. That enables you to use Apple's Home App on your devices, or just use Siri. Once installed you can open and close your garage doors with your voice. I merely raise my Apple Watch while driving a few blocks from my house, and say "Open the Main," and it is done when I get there..from anywhere. I have it set for each of my 2 garages that have different names set. I usually use the same process when I am getting ready to leave. I say "Hey Siri" open the "Main" as I walk through the house on the way to the garage...One tip..this works best when you talk to your Watch or iPhone while driving in a very low voice so that the car doesn't hear you. If you say it loud enough for the car to respond to your request, the process doesn't always work. Speaking to my Watch in a low voice, so the car doesn't hear me works every time!

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
2 years and counting for me with Homelink. No $4k issues, but just be aware of what to push if needed....

Homelink almost always works for me, but it is annoying and disappointing that the M3 doesn't understand up or down through Homelink, camera, MyQ, or whatever. A couple of times I have backed the car into the driveway, then we decided to take the other car and I pulled back in. Apparently the programming is happy with car motion in either direction, since I discovered to my surprise that the door was closing behind me.

So how on earth is someone going to steal your Tesla from the airport (or shops, or anywhere)?
Maybe if you lose your phone or keycard, but that’s why I enable PIN to drive.
For a very small inconvenience, it’s worth it for the peace of mind.