Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding How Tesla's Shifting Works, Its Protective Protocols, and Neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a Tesla, N is exactly the same as pressing the gauss pedal however much is needed to accelerate/decelerate at the same rate.
On a fossil car, N might use more or less gas than staying in gear, depending on the conditions and auxiliary loads.
On any car, it is foolish, risky, and illegal to coast in N.
Gauss pedal? I thought I settled this. In F1 they call it the torque demand pedal. Who would be a better authority?:cool:

Reactions: XPsionic
Gauss pedal? I thought I settled this. In F1 they call it the torque demand pedal. Who would be a better authority?:cool:
"Gauss" pedal is a fun name (sounds like "gas"!), but of course Gauss is not the SI unit in question, it's (ta-da!) "Tesla" (really).

"Torque Demand Pedal" sounds like it was invented by one of those people who thinks saying "affirmative" instead of "yes" makes them sound smart.

I thought shifting to N on an ICE car actually consumed more fuel because instead of the momentum from the wheels turning the engine, the fuel pump is engaged to idle the engine. When in gear and coasting an ICE vehicle will typically not send fuel to the engine.
No. You can’t consume more fuel in N than when you’re idle. Same as if the vehicle was stopped. In gear, you feel the vehicle trying to slow itself down so you’re wasting more fuel that way because the transmission forces the RPM to go up a bit. So with the RPM going up, more gas is used. This varies across different vehicles. So N saves gas.

The assumption is that someone coasting in Neutral is otherwise driving properly, which may require riding the brakes. And fuel consumption is mostly based on torque demand, not rpm, so there’s indeed a likelihood that staying in gear would save gas.

This isn’t the place for fossil car discussions but the relevant tangent is that some EV owners mistakenly believe that disabling regen by way of Neutral or other means would provide more efficient coasting.

Reactions: rpiotro
In an ICE vehicle you can always go from N to D while going downhill without any consequences. In fact, it is a good thing to take a down hill and let the car go to N while letting the gravity drive you down if the ICE car has a manual transmission since that saves a bit of gas.
Not if the ICEV has deceleration fuel cut-off, in which case going down the hill in neutral requires fuel use to keep the engine idling while going down in gear allows the engine to be driven by the wheels without any fuel use.

Not if the ICEV has deceleration fuel cut-off, in which case going down the hill in neutral requires fuel use to keep the engine idling while going down in gear allows the engine to be driven by the wheels without any fuel use.
This is why I said, it varies across vehicles. For instance, if it’s a hybrid, then driving downhill in N would cause the engine to shut off, but it is a bad idea because then you don’t get any regen braking. Although, a hybrid will always shut off the engine in a downhill whether you’re in D or N.

This is why I said, it varies across vehicles. For instance, if it’s a hybrid, then driving downhill in N would cause the engine to shut off, but it is a bad idea because then you don’t get any regen braking. Although, a hybrid will always shut off the engine in a downhill whether you’re in D or N.
Is the transmission being lubricated when coasting in neutral on modern ICE cars? There has not been rear mounted pumps on automatic transmissions in more than 50 years.

I actually did get a push start on my '59 Chevy with a powerglide transmission. Had to get it up to about 30 MPH before the rear pump made enough pressure to engage the transmission.

Another gear tip. Many first time Tesla owners come to a full stop when going from R to D. Try this... reverse at any normal speed when getting out of your garage but do not press on brake or let go of the throttle when time to shift to D. Just tap the stalk and go to D. Notice how it smoothly slows down and then changes direction...

so yeah, this does work. oftenuseless though, because its more intuitive to directly control when/where the car stops before changing direction of travel.

kinda like in a manual transmission its possible to gear the car forward while its rolling backwards, and engage the clutch to simultaneously slow it down and reverse its direction. its possible and ive done it very occasionally, but it does not feel natural

You're joking, totally unnecessary edge case.
I don't think it's a joke. It happens to me too in some parking lots, trying to switch between Drive and Reverse (or vice-versa) and the car screams at me without doing the change. By instinct I press the accelerator and it doesn't do what I want. I must be at 6mph when that happens I guess as I'm not going that fast... but you get used to this being normal and it screws you up when it doesn't to it. Borderline dangerous to NOT switch gears when I ask it to and rely on that change.

Last edited:
Reactions: bay74
I don't think it's a joke. It happens to me too in some parking lots, trying to switch between Drive and Reverse (or vice-versa) and the car screams at me without doing the change. By instinct I press the accelerator and it doesn't do what I want. I must be at 6mph when that happens I guess as I'm not going that fast... but you get used to this being normal and it screws you up when it doesn't to it. Borderline dangerous to NOT switch gears when I ask it to and rely on that change.
With 2023.12.1 and up, there is an option to enable gear-change chimes. Might be annoying but it is informative.

This is a subject that is incredibly difficult for those who still think in ICE. As a couple of people have noted, there is no 'shifting' as known in ICE. Of course there is regenerative braking in most BEV models so one rarely needs to use brakes either. What our logic says is 'shifting' is software changing from one direction to another, no 'shifting' happens either. That is also why 'neutral' does not exist as it does in ICE, 'neutral' just stops power to the motors.
That is also why 'shifting' from 'D' to 'R' is limited in speed to protect drivers, not the car, the motors really do not care.

This is really analogous to turning 'on' or 'off' a light switch. There is no ignition, it is simply equivalent to a light switch, so in a Tesla the switch turns on by proximity and turns off by lack of proximity.

Over and over, many of us really do not realize how incredibly simple the concepts are. We've spent most of our lives, long or short, igniting flammable fluids which need complex devices to yield motive force. BEV's are simple in comparison! No wonder oil and gas industries, traditional OEMs and labor unions don't like BEVs. There very simplicity reduces job count.

Corollary; traditional OEM thought are all about ICE. That is why the Porsche Taycan actually has a transmission, even though there is zero need for those except for ICE, and why they have fake sounds and no regenerative braking. They really want their buyers to think a BEV is just another ICE.

So, there is no 'shifting' at all.; doesn't happen. The Tesla is just like a multi speed home ventilating fan. Changing the speeds just sending more or less electrical power, it's a light switch equipped with a dimmer.

Most of us have many traditional ICE thoughts. It's very hard to break lifetime habits.

This is a subject that is incredibly difficult for those who still think in ICE. As a couple of people have noted, there is no 'shifting' as known in ICE. Of course there is regenerative braking in most BEV models so one rarely needs to use brakes either. What our logic says is 'shifting' is software changing from one direction to another, no 'shifting' happens either. That is also why 'neutral' does not exist as it does in ICE, 'neutral' just stops power to the motors.
That is also why 'shifting' from 'D' to 'R' is limited in speed to protect drivers, not the car, the motors really do not care.
My guess is that it is also a protection thing. Shifting from D to R at higher speeds is going to put a lot of stress on the motor, as the rotor will be moving in one direction while the magnetic field is trying to drive it in the other. That will generate LOTS of heat and mechanical stress, which is probably not good for the motor long term.

Also, Neutral is a distinct setting, since a motor (depending on the type) can only freely turn when there is no current path across the windings. Try manually turning their shaft of a small motor .. it will freely turn. Then use a wire to short the two motor drive terminals, and try again .. it will resist rotation quite effectively.

By instinct I press the accelerator and it doesn't do what I want. I must be at 6mph when that happens I guess as I'm not going that fast... but you get used to this being normal and it screws you up when it doesn't to it. Borderline dangerous to NOT switch gears when I ask it to and rely on that change.

I believe the instruction on screen is "Press brake while switching gear" to complete the maneuver?