Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Newbie here. Trying to find out how updates work. I received notification that there was an update tonight. I can't seem to find anywhere were it tells me what is being changed? Is there a difference between updates and software upgrade?

Thanks

Unfortunately you don't get to know what changed (or even what version of software you're getting) until after you've installed the update. The quality of Tesla release notes is pretty spotty, except for major software upgrades that add new features such as autopilot or summoning. Many of us have been asking for more comprehensive information about "what changed" for a long time (particularly bugs that have been fixed), but TMC really has probably the best information you'll find outside of Tesla itself (along with, as usual, a lot of speculation and outright guesses!).

"Update" is the same as "software upgrade", although you will sometimes find people referring to a software update as a "downgrade" if they didn't like some aspect of the new version's behavior.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

Reactions: Cr8it
Tesla software update is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get :D

Most of them are good, usually things get better, but occasionally bugs get introduced. Over the last 3 years I can only recall one update that made me (and plenty of others) angry - that's when Tesla locked out the air suspension from going low after bad media attention from some accidents - took months before they re-enabled the suspension. You can usually check on forums on what people report about the latest software.

Reactions: Cr8it
As whitex mentioned, the forums are a good source of info on new software (firmware) updates. In my 3 years experience, feedback on new updates are often posted within a day, so you don't have to wait too long to see what the update has to offer, if anything discernible. Many times the update simply resolves bugs most of us never know about.

One way to dig into the details before you update is to visit Hank's site HERE to see what firmware version(s) are being rolled out at the moment, then you can search the forums for specific feedback on that version.

As for me, I trigger the updates as they come in, figuring I have more to gain than to lose.

• Funny
Reactions: TWBC
Sometimes new releases re-set your settings. So with the Summon problem, my suggestion is to make sure it is enabled in the Settings panel. It may have been switched off by the update.
Also reboot both screens (press and hold the scroll wheels for the large display, the two top buttons for the small display).

Thanks again. Now it brings up another question. I see that there has been 10 releases after my last one. Why and how can I ever catch up ?

tom
Being "behind" is not usual. Just checked and see that I'm also 10 behind the one that appears to have started rolling out on the 17th.

Initially this bugged me but eventually realized that the great majority are minor updates and don't really change anything that's noticeable by the driver. But eventually that little clock icon will show up on your touch screen and the Tesal app will indicate there's a new version ready. Once that's installed you get everything you've "missed".

'Course then it starts all over again as you see more updates being sent out that you don't have yet. :)

As whitex mentioned, the forums are a good source of info on new software (firmware) updates. In my 3 years experience, feedback on new updates are often posted within a day, so you don't have to wait too long to see what the update has to offer, if anything discernible. Many times the update simply resolves bugs most of us never know about.

One way to dig into the details before you update is to visit Hank's site HERE to see what firmware version(s) are being rolled out at the moment, then you can search the forums for specific feedback on that version.

As for me, I trigger the updates as they come in, figuring I have more to gain than to lose.
How do I contact Hank so my new update version 2.36.17 I just got today from the service center is put into the list on his site?

So what is changed in this most recent update? My car began informing me of an available update on Tuesday, September 6th. What changes with this update? I haven't found a thread about it yet.

If you haven't heard of anything, it's probably nothing significant other than "bug fixes".

A question for those here for the 7.0/7.1 updates. Did they release what would be in the update (besides AP) before it actually came out? How long before?

Nope. There were various leaks (particularly of the new UI style) and a heck of a lot of speculation here on TMC but nothing official and concrete until the software actually rolled out.

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: hybridbear