Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unethical Business Practice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had an original delivery date for our MY of November 2021, we have now been pushed back 3 times with an expected delivery date of August or September 2022. It’s clear that this is happening because we are locked into a lower price. It’s also entirely unethical that we could have a June delivery date if we were to buy a new car now with FSD. This obviously implies it’s not an inventory limitation but a sign of Tesla greed. Is there any recourse here other than moving on to a different company?
That's called Capitalism. It's not fair but perfectly legal.

Estimate. They gave the supply chain excuse.

So how do you know or why do you think that it must be a scam/greed thing if June is an estimated date?

From what I understand Tesla honor their prices once locked in. It’s not April yet so your estimate may easily change back to an earlier date. My bounced around for a while and I just stopped looking at it. I hope that yours changes to a better date.

I cancelled my KIA EV6 order as the dates kept changing and the last one was for the end of the year. The supply chain issues are real and Tesla appears to be doing better than others. At least they don’t add mark ups and mandatory crap before you collect like the stealers.

This is my first EV and the MY is such a fantastic vehicle and worth the wait/hassle for me.

So how do you know or why do you think that it must be a scam/greed thing if June is an estimated date?

From what I understand Tesla honor their prices once locked in. It’s not April yet so your estimate may easily change back to an earlier date. My bounced around for a while and I just stopped looking at it. I hope that yours changes to a better date.

I cancelled my KIA EV6 order as the dates kept changing and the last one was for the end of the year. The supply chain issues are real and Tesla appears to be doing better than others. At least they don’t add mark ups and mandatory crap before you collect like the stealers.

This is my first EV and the MY is such a fantastic vehicle and worth the wait/hassle for me.

Because my estimated date is further out than an order for an identical car with FSD made today?

Very odd. I ordered base LR MY (in grey, no FSD, black seats, 19" wheels, no tow) 2021 mid September. Picked up 2022 late Feb

I called again today and they said that my profile wasn’t completed until today. Which is BS because I know it was complete and this isn’t my first time going through the purchase process. Seems like there was some kind of glitch or something as I did nothing different through the app, I simply called and asked what was going on. They said they would “expedite” my delivery date but we all know that doesn’t mean anything.

The one downside of online ordering is the lack of clear communication. I'm glad you spoke to them and confirmed the profile is now complete. There should have been better notification as someone else said that the profile was missing something. I hate to tell you that when the car comes in that you may not get much notice. With Tesla, it seems like the best bet is to check in with a live person if something seems amiss.

There was someone else on the boards that was stuck in limbo way longer than was reasonable. It looks like their problem was expedited so hopefully you'll get the same type of resolution. Gook luck!

Reactions: DDHEverything

I'm picking up my MYLR 7 seater on Sunday. I ordered in early January 22' and got my MYLR faster than people that are still waiting on their 2021 order. The only difference is I added FSD 1 week later which jumped my order to March instead of August.

Scam/greed, I don't know what to call it but it's not fair for people who have been patiently waiting.

It’s an ass if true and reading other threads it seems as if OP isn’t alone. The cynic in me says it’s a money thing whereas it shouldn’t be, you place your order and you’re done. I didn’t purchase FSD as I’m not convinced but it didn’t seem to effect my order. Although, I’m not sure how many peeps in the U.K. added FSD. Our roads are just not big enough or wide enough and too bendy on this tiny lump of an island. It definitely wouldn’t work in Scotland.

Who in this thread is arguing this practice is illegal?
Here’s a good analogy of unfair capitalism:

Could you imagine standing in line for some time at a COSTCO with 8 items and along comes someone with a cart full and walks right by you and gets flagged and serviced by the cashier ahead of you simply because there is more food to purchase and sell?

Here’s another one…you’re waiting at a restaurant for 10 min for a table for 2 and along comes a walk in party of 6 with no reservation but they take them in immediately simply because they will likely spend more and your wait time now becomes 60 min.

What tesla is doing is disgusting if you ask me. Pushing older and cheaper orders for new ones that are higher in sale price now, and pushing the highest margin cars to the front. Essentially the more wealthy eat first when it was not articulated this way from the start.

Airline seat? Business class over economy. Sure. You know what you are paying for, it’s advertised the level of product and service you will receive with each ticket class and you are choosing based on what’s been publically advertised.

So Tesla…I say have the balls to state on your order site: ‘Deliveries will be prioritized to orders which contain these options.’ Or ‘Tesla reserves the right to prioritize deliveries according to options chosen. Higher optioned models may receive priority’.

Don’t pretend to be this benevolent ‘order system of fairness’ and then screw good people who only want to invest and believe in your vision of the future or just love your product.

I have a buddy who ordered a M3 SR+ last august 2021 and is still waiting. He’s been pushed 5x now and the latest May 2022 delivery just got pushed again to Sept 2022. It’s ridiculous. His order price is pre pre increase and it’s quite obvious Tesla wants to infuriate him enough to cancel. He’s emailed and called many times with no response. This is not fair capitalism…it’s unfair practice.

My 2 cents…

Last edited:
I have no issue with prioritizing customers for FSD or P or whatever.

But I added FSD and my EDD didn’t change one iota, even with a 10/7 OD. Still stuck at 5/23-6/20.

At least make the prioritization universal and not selective.

Last edited:
And there are always glitches. If you don’t call and check then whatever the glitch is will continue. Seems everyone who has called has gotten it fixed, even if it was not officially acknowledge as such. The person with the RwD M3 order should call. If the order page still says SR+ then it hasn’t been updated to the new model and that’s why it isn't getting built. If he turned down an LFP car then he might as well cancel because thats all SR is now.

I placed an order April 21 then immediately went on hold. Released hold in September to get 2022 delivery but was placed at front of the line and my EDD was 2 weeks. Talked to SA and went back on hold again and came off Jan 3. Received VIN and then car on 1/20. So the “old orders are dropped to the back” line is BS. As was pointed out, Tesla wants those off their books ASAP because they mess up their profit projections.

Id guess there was an empty field somewhere in the system and every time it went to assign you a car, it didn’t check out so if kicked you to the back of the line. Apparently a simple call had so check your profile and it got fixed without you doing anything.

And one other thing, how late can you remove FSD from an order? I think up until delivery amd you pay so technically you could add it, get faster delivery then cancel FSD before actually paying. I am sure they are aware of this so I wonder if people will actually get fsd cars faster.