Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Barnes did u Luda ur car too ?

No Luda, that's why I was considering the upgrade but if the value is that bad I'll just keep driving it. Sales adviser said she may able to get the price up "beyond the algorithm" once I submit photos, has anyone had luck with that? Regardless photos submitted, so we will see what they say. Only thing not 100% is that driver's side lower seat bolster that has alot of wrinkles. That's why I took a few shots of that.

Blake Barnes has shared 26 photos with you!

Let me know which unicorn versions/features I missed:

VIN/Version:
- Founders cars
- Signature cars (bonus points for Sig Red, extra bonus points for Sig white interior)
- S40's
- P85DL (bonus points for P85DL+)
- S90's (RWD)
- weird factory upgrades (like P90 or P90+)

Colors:
- Signature Red
- original Brown
- green
- original dark blue???
- Signature white interior (2012 only)

Seat options:
- Signature white (2012 only)
- Gen 1 perforated seats (Sig/Founder NON-P cars only)
- Gen 1 performance seats w/ alcantara & piping (were those rare?)
- next gen REAR seats (P85D only)
- executive rear seats
- rear facing child seats
- ventilated seats (were those rare?)
- grey seats? (were those rare?)

Wheels:
- aero
- black/grey arachnids?
- cyclone wheels? (were those rare?)

Others:
- black contrast painted roof
- '+' suspension
- drop-in REAR cupholders/armrest
- lacewood trim?
- dual/twin (80a) onboard charger?
- certain configs with AP1/2/2.5?
- NON-power folding mirrors?
- yacht floors (were those rare?)

I have a Sig Red P85, but have a friend who has a green P85+ w/AP1 & rear-facing seats. Show me your weird/rare configurations!

• Informative
Reactions: mfmvdsande
- grey seats? (were those rare?)
Those were offered for a while, but rarely in stock - usually they showed as "backordered" by as much as 6-9 months, so people didn't order them not to delay their cars. Every once in a while they were in stock, so most orders came from those short periods of time.

Now, if you want to really define unicorns, the very next step is unique combination of options. For example, grey seats - rare, grey seats and AP2, very rare (they discontinued grey seats a while after AP2 came out, but they were only in stock for a brief amount of time just before discontinuing). Other combinations, P85 AP1 car - by themselves P85's are not rare, neither are AP1 cars, but P85 AP1 car are rare because only few were ever produced.

Before you go into listing all possible unicorns, I'm thinking don't waste your time. With Tesla offering a la carte options before 2016, and changing cars every 2 weeks (according to Elon), there are thousands and thousands of unicorns out there. Add to that production shortcuts, like a batch of S75's and S60's which were built with 85KWh batteries. Pretty much majority of cars built before some date in 2016 are unicorn, i.e. there are very few cars with that exact hardware combination out there.

Last edited:
...configs with AP1/2/2.5?...
I think AP2 with transferable Free Unlimited Supercharging (FUSC) is noteworthy. More so if the cars eventually do get Full Self Driving. Since FUSC is being stripped on trade -ins this will get more unicorn over time.

Also any non transferable FUSC combos lose some unicorn status since FUSC still periodically resurfaces.

Also I think adaptive suspension cars with DU0x induction motors (pre-raven/PMSR) get unicorn status. There are a few at least Xs configured this way. Not sure about Ss. Probably no raven cars without adaptive suspension.

Last edited:
Those were offered for a while, but rarely in stock - usually they showed as "backordered" by as much as 6-9 months, so people didn't order them not to delay their cars. Every once in a while they were in stock, so most orders came from those short periods of time.

Interesting. I didn't know that. My Model S (85D) has gray seats, but that didn't hold production up at all. Five weeks from ordering to factory delivery.

Among single options that one could actually choose to order, I think the aero wheels, solid black roof (on a non-black car), and executive seats are probably the least common that I can think of.

Some of the features listed in post #64 are hard to spot nowadays, but were common/standard at the time they were in production (yacht floor, non-powered mirrors).

Now, if you want to really define unicorns, the very next step is unique combination of options. For example, grey seats - rare, grey seats and AP2, very rare (they discontinued grey seats a while after AP2 came out, but they were only in stock for a brief amount of time just before discontinuing). Other combinations, P85 AP1 car - by themselves P85's are not rare, neither are AP1 cars, but P85 AP1 car are rare because only few were ever produced.

Before you go into listing all possible unicorns, I'm thinking don't waste your time. With Tesla offering a la carte options before 2016, and changing cars every 2 weeks (according to Elon), there are thousands and thousands of unicorns out there. Add to that production shortcuts, like a batch of S75's and S60's which were built with 85KWh batteries. Pretty much majority of cars built before some date in 2016 are unicorn, i.e. there are very few cars with that exact hardware combination out there.

This. It's kind of fun to think about (especially the weird factory upgrade cars, which generally have a story behind them), but there were so many more-or-less orthogonal options that you could make a case for many combinations being rare. Whether you'd care about a particular combination or not is another story. AP1 P85s are a great example of a small set of desirable cars.

Just as an editorial comment, I think people toss around the word "unicorn" way too freely on TMC.

My car has a slightly unusual combination of options (silver paint, gray seats, body-color roof), but I don't think that makes it any more special. And then I actually saw an identically-configured P85D at a Supercharger on a road trip (of course I had to park next to it, which made for slow charging but great photos).

Bruce.

Interesting. I didn't know that. My Model S (85D) has gray seats, but that didn't hold production up at all. Five weeks from ordering to factory delivery.
When ordering the first three of four MS I bought, grey seats were one of the options on the design studio. 2 of the 3 times I ordered they were backordered. My wife really likes grey seats, so when I saw one day they were no longer backordered, I ordered and picked up the car without delay (don't remember exactly how long, but ~4-5 weeks). While waiting for that car, grey seats were permanently removed from the Design Studio, so it seems we caught the very last batch. Delivery person told us they have never seen another AP2 car with grey seats too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sig72 and bmah
In the UK it was hard work finding an S with Free supercharging for life and AP2 and free road tax because they all changed at the same time and there was about a 30 day order window and a 30 day delivery window. Fortunately I found one.

Hey Folks. Sometime ago, there was a monitoring sheet where they monitor P85 and P85+ build date between Sept - Dec, 2014. These are RWD and has AP1 hardware built in. I've been searching for hours for this link posted here in TMC but I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Appreciate your help in advance.

In the UK it was hard work finding an S with Free supercharging for life and AP2 and free road tax because they all changed at the same time and there was about a 30 day order window and a 30 day delivery window. Fortunately I found one.

I'll second that - our May 17 registered 90D bought last month came with all of that apart from the free road tax but then the budget intervened and we ended up only having to pay the tax for last month which was quite nice timing for a change. We have the upgrade option for FSD as well although I don't think I'm tempted at £5800!

Can this one be considered unicorn?

P85+ red with beige leather interior and black glass (blind) roof.

20040507024724352616726681.jpg

20040507024724352616726680.jpg

20040507024724352616726679.jpg

Our Ludicrous 2015 P85D+ has all these "unicorn" features:

VIN/Version:
- P85DL+ (Ludicrous and Plus Suspension)

Seat options:
- next gen REAR seats (leather Recaro)

Wheels:
- Arachnids

Others:
- '+' suspension
- dual / twin (40a) onboard chargers = 80A charge capability
- yacht floor

... so seems to quality as a "unicorn" Tesla.

The only option that our P85D+ didn't come with was the rear facing child seats which we never would have used... and would have taken up our well used "basement" storage.

Love our unicorn "Pegasus" (Greek: Πήγασος, Pḗgasos; Latin: Pegasus, Pegasos) is a mythical winged divine lightning fast white horse

5YY8JbP2QHaEt5uKuzXIjw_thumb_4727.jpg

Reactions: Dare and SilverGS
Hey Folks. Sometime ago, there was a monitoring sheet where they monitor P85 and P85+ build date between Sept - Dec, 2014. These are RWD and has AP1 hardware built in. I've been searching for hours for this link posted here in TMC but I can't seem to find it.

Can anyone point me to the right direction? Appreciate your help in advance.

@Blu Zap ? :)

Bruce.