Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unicorns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In addition to the AP1 P85/P85+...

There were a couple of OEM options that weren’t very popular. Specifically the black metal roof on a non-black body is rare, as are the original aero wheels.

Green 85D and P85D are also pretty unusual combinations due to a very short time when that combination was available.

Bruce.

...also to be honest I have never seen a S40 on the road and I’m in SoCal where Tesla’s are as common as Honda’s :eek:

Might be difficult to spot those, because I don't think there were any 40 badges made (at least I've never seen one). OK, my son is sitting next to me as I'm writing this and we have a difference of opinion...he thinks we might have seen a badged S40 somewhere, but I don't remember this. Could be I'm getting senile. :oops:

Bruce.

In green or brown. ;)
Only one brown P85+ with AP1 is known to exist.

5 green P85+ cars are known to have AP1. But possibly more interesting is that 4 Signature Red P85+ cars were built with AP1... all of them in Australia, since they were first available in that country in the last quarter of 2014. They are also right-hand drive.

Might be difficult to spot those, because I don't think there were any 40 badges made (at least I've never seen one). OK, my son is sitting next to me as I'm writing this and we have a difference of opinion...he thinks we might have seen a badged S40 somewhere, but I don't remember this. Could be I'm getting senile. :oops:.
My recollection is that back in 2012, Model S cars were initially not delivered with badges. They added the badges early in 2013 and you could have one installed if your car didn't get one. Then the 40 was discontinued in April 2013, so the window for getting a 40 badge was pretty short. I could not find an image of a 40 badge, but according to this post, they may have existed at some point in March 2013.

Every Tesla in the for sale if you believe the sellors...

It's actually true. Given the number of changes Tesla was making especially for the first few years, and the fact that they didn't start bundling until late 2016 IIRC. In 2017, after PUP bundled a bunch of options and interior options were limited to 5 there was only 1848 possible build configurations not counting EAP and FSD which would multiply that number by 3 (see how to arrive at that number here). Prior to PUP bundle and bundling of interiors (you used to be able to change seat color, headliner color and decor independently) that it was 96x that, so over 177,408 possible different configurations! Now add to that colors which have come and gone (exterior and interior), and changing options (different seat generations, console, yacht floor, AP, EAP, different onboard chargers, primacy upgraded tires, etc, etc) and I think you can safely say there were more possible configurations than cars being produced. So while there are some configurations which are more common, pretty much almost every pre-2017 car is a unicorn.

Since 2017 Tesla has been limiting the customizations to limit the number of possible configurations. A while back Elon even boasted how many thousands of possible configurations Model S allowed while Model 3 had significantly less - they have since removed that from their website as they further reduced the number of Model S and X configurations.

EDIT: I was curious so did the calculation for today:
7 colors * 3 trim levels (75D/100D/P100D) * 2 roof choices * 4 wheel choices * 10 possible interiors (5 with and 5 without carbon fiber) * 3 AP combinations (no AP, EAP, FSD) * 2 trunk configs (rear-seats or not) * 2 premium (PUP or no PUP) and we arrive at 20,160 possible configurations. Maybe a few more or less since I didn't bother including P100 exclusive interior but included exclusive wheels, but still, given there was only 27,060 Model S delivered in the US in 2017, every Model S produced today could also be considered a unicorn.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: P100DHG.
Yup... Here's a fairly low mileage green P85+ being sold in Tampa at a great price.

I'm not a fan of the color though.

2013 TESLA MODEL S | Discovery Auto Center
That doesn't have Autopilot. The "unicorns" we're talking about are the few that were built with AP1 after 9/17/2014, at the tail end of the RWD P85/P85+ models' existence. You couldn't order a new P85 or P85+ after 11/5/2014 when they were discontinued in favor of the dual-motor P85D. The green and brown paint options were dropped at the same time.