TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Unicorns

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Drlev, Jun 5, 2018.

1. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

This discussion should probably have the following distinction:

Unicorn = rare and highly desirable combination of options

vs.

Rare combo of options that were not necessarily desirable or valued (e.g, Aero wheels, executive rear seats; black roof, MS 40).

Using that definition, I think unicorn candidates are:

1) P85+ with AP1
    2) P85D+ with Ludicrous and AP1

I am personally a big fan of the Signature Red P85 with White interior as well, but I don't think others find that as desirable as I do.

I'm sure there are other candidates for desirable unicorns.

• Like x 3
  2. Don TLR

Don TLR Active Member

This falls into the Desirable Unicorn classification, all that other stuff is just chatter :D

3. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Know a guy on the big islan d with a 40. He is happy with it.

• Like x 2
  4. Krash

Krash Data Technician

Yeah and I am going to convert my carbon fiber to black ash, but only with the graphite trim.Too bad the timing wasn't better.

If we are adding international options to this list I would think that the most desirable unicorn for the money is the S75D with BTX8 (400v P85) battery. These were never released in the US.

Would you make an introduction please? Would love a 40 performance runlog for the performance metrics.

5. nanimac

nanimac Aloha!

I had an S40 and there are still a few here in Hawaii. They never had a badge.

• Like x 1
  6. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Mine is fairly rare (2014 S85 with AP1, luxury pkg with alcantara headliner) but probably the rarest configuration is the executive seat option. Not necessarily a desirable option considering the rear seats don't fold down. but rare.

• Like x 1
  7. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

Desirable is always relative "to whom". You might be a fan of pano roof, others desire a solid roof more. Some desire rear jump seats, others pay to remove it. Every car out there, was desirable to someone since it was ordered in that configuration (as it is extremely unlikely someone would spend $100K ordering options they hate) - especially true per-2017 where almost every option was available à la carte.

8. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I think the green was still available at that time. I have a green P85D+ and I know the color was dropped shortly after the P85D was launched, but I think there was a month or so where you could still order green cars.

• Disagree x 1
  9. P100DHG.

P100DHG. Member

My car is a unicorn. Literally! it can fly too. It has webbed hoofs that allow it to. Also the local ferrier uncorked it for me!

Great thread! Love it!

• Love x 1
  10. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

That's correct. The P85D announcement was Oct 9 2014. The P85/P85+ (along with green and brown paint) were discontinued Nov 5 2014. So sometime in those 4 weeks, you could have ordered a green P85D(+). :)

• Like x 1
  11. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Also a very short window in there where they came with Recaro sports seats front and back. The second row was quickly changed back to standard seats after the first month or two of production due to supplier problems.

I have one of those P85DL+ with Recaro front and back and I'm never letting go of it. :)

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. kdday

kdday Active Member

Ooh do share pics

13. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S/X, California Forums

Were these the "Performance Seats"?

Bruce.

14. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Performance seats came with P85+ ..I had same car as @EarlyAdopter ...but just traded for X P100D ...now this thread has me thinking :(:eek:

15. DKPowers

DKPowers Member

Someone here had a titanium metallic AP2 car.

16. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

Before the dual motor cars they had textile seats or "performance" seats. Then after the AP1/D announcement they vastly improved the seats by using Recaro brand fronts (and for a hot minute, rears). The Recaro seats were the first branded as "Next Generation Seats". Later when Tesla moved the seat production in-house they changed the name again to whatever they are called now.

/edit I didn't realize it at first, but the CPO car I linked to with Next Generation seats also has Executive rear seats. They aren't listed, but they are shown in the pictures.

17. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Any Model S in Green or Brown with AP1. The colors were discontinued roughly a month after the AP announcement.

18. shrink

shrink Supporting Member

Well, that's why I wrote "highly desirable," but if it's necessary to be more specific, then my suggested distinction would be that a "unicorn" refer to a rare set of options that have higher demand or perceived value among the prospective buyer/fan/owner community. Other rare combinations would just be that - rare, but not necessarily valued "unicorn" status. There are plenty of relatively rare things in this world that are not necessarily valued or desired. The "unicorn" term carries a connotation of rare beauty and value.

Anyway, these are just my 2 cents. The community as a whole will adopt whatever terms are most appropriate.

Regardless, from the responses, it's pretty clear the P85 with AP1; P85+ with AP1; and P85D+ with Ludicrous have higher perceived value than other rare combinations.

I'm finding it quite interesting to hear about other combinations people are mentioning, such as the P85D with Recaro seats. I'd personally be quite interested in purchasing such a rare beauty one day.

• Like x 1
  19. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

...I turned my MC Red 0
    P85DL+ that has the next gen recaro Seats hopefully will be on CPO site soon :)

20. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

It should be noted you can retrofit older Tesla's with the Recaro fronts for about $6,000.