Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unintended/Over Acceleration Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
-----------
Two problems with your explanations: 1) The car turned sharply to the left to hit the wall (there would be no reason for me to turn the wheel to the left to go straight into my garage). So even if I pressed the accelerator by mistake (as you claim) I should have gone straight into my garage; 2) I was already stopped -- so there was no need for me to press hard on the brake pedal at that time, although the data shows the accelerator pedal pressed to a peak of 78.8% (BTW Tesla's letter wrongly claims 88%). There are additional inconsistencies between the letter and the log data.
You're claiming a simultaneous failure of the brakes, accelerator, and steering that presumably fixed itself after the collision. I hope you can understand why people are skeptical.

Reactions: Mod3forMe
I am not claiming anything. Just stating what I experienced. You can interpret the EDR data if you know how to read it! (I have provided all the information)
I looked at it and it looks like your foot was off the accelerator for a few seconds. During that time I could see how you might have lost track of where your foot was. When you pressed what you thought was the brake (but was actually the accelerator) it didn't slow down the car so you pressed harder (over the course of about 1 second). I think this because similar accidents happen in every other make and model of car so the most likely explanation is that it is human error and not an undiscovered flaw in every make and model of car.
I am willing to believe that something about the design of Teslas makes human error more likely (regen, quietness, creep on or off, something else). As posted above the NHTSA estimates that there are 16,000 accidents due to unintended acceleration a year so from the sample of users in this forum the rate for Teslas doesn't seem way out of line.

Assuming you are right about the accelerator pedal, how do you explain the steering wheel angle data -- both the log and Tesla's letter says the wheel was turned sharply to the right. Yet, the car hit the wall to my left!

I think the fast acceleration on the Tesla's probably exacerbate the problem.

When unintended acceleration happens, the driver panics due to the unintended movement and pushes the wrong pedal harder.
With a Tesla that all happens so much quicker. Some folks might catch themselves in a slower vehicle. But with a Tesla there is no time.

So I think that's why it's happening more often.

Not trying to be a fanboy and defend Tesla here but so many stories don't add up in how they were explained.

One thing I found confusing with Model 3, is the right Stem being double duty for AutoPilot functions and for PRND.
Several times I double clicked down to go into DRIVE. Oops.
My brain was also confused when I'm cruising along and canceling AutoPilot that putting it into Reverse feels wrong.

Now I keep reaching for the right Stem to get into Drive on my wife's Chevy Volt (which is the Wipers).

Maybe One Pedal Driving also confuses Muscle Memory from past cars (that have been burned in for Decades).
You're getting different queues.

I highly recommend new owners to use Chill and Creep for at least a week on any Tesla. No matter how good you think you are.

-----------
Two problems with your explanations: 1) The car turned sharply to the left to hit the wall (there would be no reason for me to turn the wheel to the left to go straight into my garage). So even if I pressed the accelerator by mistake (as you claim) I should have gone straight into my garage; 2) I was already stopped -- so there was no need for me to press hard on the brake pedal at that time, although the data shows the accelerator pedal pressed to a peak of 78.8% (BTW Tesla's letter wrongly claims 88%). There are additional inconsistencies between the letter and the log data.

EDR data shows the steering wheel turning back towards the left as the acceleration happened, starting at minus 2.0 seconds. Depending on your orientation in the driveway, that could explain your perception that the car turned to the left.

If you think the car turned sharply to the left without steering input, you should have your suspension checked for any failures such as a control arm, etc. You say you haven’t driven the car since the event, so you may not know if you had a suspension or tire issue that contributed to this event.

Assuming you are right about the accelerator pedal, how do you explain the steering wheel angle data -- both the log and Tesla's letter says the wheel was turned sharply to the right. Yet, the car hit the wall to my left!

I'm not sure I'm reading it right but it looks like steering wheel was turned to the right (positive angle) and car accelerated to the right (positive acceleration). Unless lateral acceleration has polarity reversed.

I'm not sure I'm reading it right but it looks like steering wheel was turned to the right (positive angle) and car accelerated to the right (positive acceleration). Unless lateral acceleration has polarity reversed.

The data looks to me like the wheel was turning back towards the left during the acceleration event. The wheel hadn’t cut back past zero, but if you have the tires turned full right and you turn the wheel less right, the car will appear to be going left from the drivers seat.

41C7F45C-5595-417E-8A05-267932482963.jpeg

I agree that the logs (both steering angle and lateral acceleration) show the steering wheel turned hard to the right. Yet you claim that the steering wheel was straight or to the left. That cannot be reconciled. Also, you say that you were stopped waiting for the garage to open but the logs shows you were moving at 6mph or above for many seconds. I agree that the data does not agree with your recollection. Hard to understand how there could be a failure that would cause the steering wheel angle and lateral acceleration data to be both wrong and consistent.

As the car accelerated, the steering wheel, with insufficient human applied torque to prevent it, started to naturally correct back towards center as the car moved. You know, the same thing that happens if you turn the wheel in a normal turn and let go of the wheel while still moving forward. Nothing spectacular here, and the rate of change is consistent with this normal behavior given the conditions.

You hit the wrong pedal. There's nothing to see here. The data appears to be pretty clear on this, and I'm beyond certain the other more detailed back-end logs would confirm the same.

I mean really, you come here claiming the car did this all on its own, and posted a log that proves otherwise (shows you hit the accelerator for at least a full second)... come on, really?

Edit: Also, Tesla is most likely correct in their note of the accelerator pedal percentage. The EDR logs come from the airbag module, not the full log system Tesla uses and has access to which has much higher resolution than 0.2s polling.

so...again, the question is, how does the car strike a wall to the driver's left, if the wheel (before the hit) was turned sharply to the right as Tesla's letter states?

It means the car wasn't straight. You turned right into the driveway so you probably didn't straighten out all the way. You are now attempting to basically accept things we are telling you one by one, but then holding out on singular items. The data has contradicted many of your statements. You have contradicted some of your own statements here. I am sorry this happened to you but as with most Unintended Acceleration events, it wasn't the car that unintentionally accelerated, it was you the driver who unintentionally pressed the accelerator.

Humans are very bad witnesses and the human mind has a way of messing up peoples recollection from reality.

Reactions: Falkirk