Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Universal Mobile Connector (UMC) in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have received my Tesla accessories order with my new UMC

Confirming both my tails say 10A and 15A. Once I get my electrical outlet sorted at the house Ill clamp meter it + what the Tesla internal charge current is showing on the display
I have received confirmation from Tesla Support that "there is a known characteristic with vehicle software 2023.20 or newer that is causing UMC updates to fail. This is currently being investigated by our tech/ engineering and we are hoping for this to be fixed via a future firmware update"

I have received confirmation from Tesla Support that "there is a known characteristic with vehicle software 2023.20 or newer that is causing UMC updates to fail. This is currently being investigated by our tech/ engineering and we are hoping for this to be fixed via a future firmware update"
Mine still hasn't updated. I've done a few charges now and leave it plugged in afterwards.
I definitely have the 10 and 15 tails (I checked the minuscule print).

I was just mentioning a limitation that people in Queensland may not be aware of. It is easy to read all the online information, buy a wall charger and have it installed in your single-phase supply, only to find you only get 4.8kW instead of the 7kW you were expecting.

It is useful to know both the specifications of the equipment or vehicle and how they work in the real world.

It is interesting that the Tesla manual shows 8A and 12A for Australia, even though their site and New Owners Manual showed 10A and 15A as recently as about 6 weeks ago.

I initially received a UMC with 8A and 12A tails. After I pointed out the advertising of 10A and 15A, Tesla replaced it (it took them three tries to actually send it, though!). I now have a UMC with 10A/15A tails, but the firmware has not updated despite following all the standard advice. A 10A GPO gives me 8A into the car.
Where did you buy the 10A/15A tails? The Tesla website (https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/mobile-connector) shows me:
  • 1x Mobile Connector
  • 1x 8A Adaptor
  • 1x 12A Adaptor
But here: Mobile Connector shows 10A and 15A. I've bought a UMC only few weeks ago and it is only charging with 8A at the moment.

I will head back and check the tail's label to see if it is 8A or 10A. Did you contact Tesla via the website support or from the shop?

Mine still hasn't updated. I've done a few charges now and leave it plugged in afterwards.
I definitely have the 10 and 15 tails (I checked the minuscule print).
I'm in the same boat. Recently purchased UMC and it came with the 10A and 15A tails. I tried a couple of times to get it to update but gave up.

I have a wall connector, so I primarily use that. I just wanted the UMC to update prior to being needed on a road trip. Alas I think I'll have to make do with 8A for now.

Where did you buy the 10A/15A tails? The Tesla website (https://shop.tesla.com/en_au/product/mobile-connector) shows me:
  • 1x Mobile Connector
  • 1x 8A Adaptor
  • 1x 12A Adaptor
But here: Mobile Connector shows 10A and 15A. I've bought a UMC only few weeks ago and it is only charging with 8A at the moment.

I will head back and check the tail's label to see if it is 8A or 10A. Did you contact Tesla via the website support or from the shop?
I bought from the Tesla shop. I dealt with Sales Support. I pointed out the multiple places where they advertise that the UMC kit charges at 10A and 15A. It was a really long process, so I didn't have the UMC until after my car was delivered. I am now just waiting for them to fix the firmware.

Reactions: H J (howling)
I bought from the Tesla shop. I dealt with Sales Support. I pointed out the multiple places where they advertise that the UMC kit charges at 10A and 15A. It was a really long process, so I didn't have the UMC until after my car was delivered. I am now just waiting for them to fix the firmware.
Thanks, I've got the 10A/15A tails for the UMC I ordered a few weeks ago. Yeah, just have to wait for them to fix the firmware.

Reactions: JonDarian
Anyone bought 32A 3 pin tails?
I have a “European” 32A 3-pin tail, so I can use my Tesla UMC with the wall socket I had installed for my Porsche charger (when my son brings an EV home or someone is visiting and my Tesla wall connector is already in use). This is the big round blue one, which is different from the Australian one AFAIK.

Mine is this one anyway: Tesla Model 3 / Y 32A GEN 2 Mobile Charger Cable Single Phase 3 PIN EU Adapter 2017-22 AUST STOCK

Again I will emphasise this is specifically for the _European_ 32A Blue wall socket, which you may not have, but I *do*. Anyway, it works perfectly and shows charging in my Tesla up to the expected 32A single-phase - not nearly as quick as my 3-phase Tesla Wall Connector, but a good way to have a second charger readily available since I already had the socket.

It's normally recommended to buy a 32A 5 pin tail and install a 5 pin socket at home, even if you only have single phase.

You can find 5 pin sockets outdoors throughout Australia, and AEVA / TOCA even built a network of them around the entire coastal route of Australia

32A-5roundpin.png

32A single phase sockets are by comparison rarely seen, and there's two variants to choose from.

A "round pin" version which is incompatible with pretty much everything else,
32A-3roundpin.jpg

and

A "flat pin" version which at least you can also plug 10A and 15A loads into.

32A-3flatpin.png

Nothing grey about that plug.

The grey zone is installing a 32A-5pin plug on a single phase system.
The reason people do this is the 32A/5-pin is more common in remote areas (indeed it's what AEVA/TOCA provided to get installed for venues willing to support EV cars doing the lap)

Reactions: cafz

For me the answer is technically no, but also yes in a different way

umc3pin.jpeg

Above is the genuine tail from Tesla for the 32A blue version. What this actually is, is a Euro type CEE plug aka Commando plug in 32A. Tesla also do a 16A tail version. This isnt what 99.99% of Australians need. Australia uses a variety of 3 phase 32A and 3 phase 20A industrial sockets, along with single phase 32A and single phase 20A sockets.

1.jpg

This is the side driveway area of my cottage. I have just had this installed on a dedicated circuit. It's so when necessary if I have a BEV in the driveway I can charge directly from here too. Using the Tesla UMC Gen 2 I can do 7.4KW charging single phase on 32A. Being an outdoor thing the outlet is IP66 rated and switched. This requires a third party tail solution to plug into the Tesla UMC but its super easy and super safe. For example it has a chip in it monitoring temps and will dynamically respond to conditions, is compliant to AS/NZS 3123:2005 etcetc

Last edited:
Because some sparkies are "uncomfortable" with it, but only because they haven't seen/done it before, not because there's any real issue with it.

Buddy theres more to it than that. Three phase industrial sockets should not be used for single phase industrial socket situations. Sparkies are rightly uncomfortable and should not do it.

The right solution is the 3 pin single phase 32A outlets or the 3 pin single phase 20A outlets for that single phase application in Australia

Though especially in remote farms, there is so so so much dodgy crap that it woudlnt suprise me what the hell some of those crusty ol fellas have gotten up too in their wiring :) Gotta love the blokes

Three phase industrial sockets should not be used for single phase industrial socket situations. Sparkies are rightly uncomfortable and should not do it.

Only because it potentially results in unbalanced load on the phases, which for a single site is rarely a problem (my house is 3 phase and the load on one phase is about double the load on each of the other 2 phases 🤷‍♂️). If an entire neighbourhood had unbalanced phases then the grid operator might get a bit annoyed and would seek to rebalance the phases.

Last year Ausgrid rebalanced the phases in my street by providing every house with a new lead-in connection, but for single-phase houses, these were not necessarily from the same phase that house used to be on.

This is only potentially an issue in remote areas with 3-phase power from GenSets or similar, and having a single site with severely unbalanced load across the phases is a more significant issue simply because it is a larger percentage of the whole grid demand.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot