Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited Free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased (3rd party) a 2016 Model a 70D 2+ months ago. Today after supercharging while on a trip in Madison, WI I received an email requesting payment for supercharging. It was only for 85 cents, but I was of the understanding that free supercharging was transferrable to me with the purchase of a 2016 Model S, and I fear that if I dont do something that I could get charged fully for all supercharging. Does anyone have any insight or guidance on this situation? Thanks!

Login to your online Tesla account and click on your car. Does it say you have unlimited free supercharging? If not, sounds like a mistake. Tesla is removing free supercharging from their certified pre-owned cars but it shouldn’t affect private sales.

Thanks for your response! I logged on and it states that I receive 400 kWh per year. I don't think this makes sense as I believe the cutoff for unlimited free supercharging was a purchase date of very early 2017. According to carfax my Model S was purchased in April 2016. Does this sound right? Thanks again!

Thanks for your response! I logged on and it states that I receive 400 kWh per year. I don't think this makes sense as I believe the cutoff for unlimited free supercharging was a purchase date of very early 2017. According to carfax my Model S was purchased in April 2016. Does this sound right? Thanks again!

Did you buy from a private seller or used car dealer? There is currently only speculation (not fact) that Tesla only remove the feature from inventory cars, used (FUSC / SC01) and new (SC05). If you bought from private seller and they removed the feature during the Tesla transfer of ownership process, I’d tell them that they will be hearing from your lawyer. Because that’s bullshat. FUSC was promised for the life of the car, not the owner. AFAIK, SC05 is the only code for free SC for the original owner.

Did you buy from a private seller or used car dealer? There is currently only speculation (not fact) that Tesla only remove the feature from inventory cars, used (FUSC / SC01) and new (SC05). If you bought from private seller and they removed the feature during the Tesla transfer of ownership process, I’d tell them that they will be hearing from your lawyer. Because that’s bullshat. FUSC was promised for the life of the car, not the owner. AFAIK, SC05 is the only code for free SC for the original owner.

Used car dealer

Used car dealer
Then your purchase falls in line with what many other people have reported here on TMC. It still sucks, but it sounds like Tesla is treating every car sale NOT from private parties the same and removing FUSC. Look around on TMC and find more like stories like yours. Maybe everyone impacted can start a class action to get Tesla to honor their "Free for the life of the car" policy. Good luck @JGreg24.

Reactions: byeLT4
Tesla is sticking their foot into a legal minefield here. For the cars sold prior to that January 2017 point, Tesla very clearly in writing specified that the free unlimited Supercharging would remain with that specific VIN of car for the rest of its life, through all future ownership changes. That is legally enforceable. Now, they seem to be trying to revoke that in all third party to third party sales that they have no involvement with. That is definitely illegal for them to revoke, and whenever people want to hold their feet to the fire with legal action, they can get smacked down for trying it.

Tesla is sticking their foot into a legal minefield here. For the cars sold prior to that January 2017 point, Tesla very clearly in writing specified that the free unlimited Supercharging would remain with that specific VIN of car for the rest of its life, through all future ownership changes. That is legally enforceable. Now, they seem to be trying to revoke that in all third party to third party sales that they have no involvement with. That is definitely illegal for them to revoke, and whenever people want to hold their feet to the fire with legal action, they can get smacked down for trying it.

I emailed Tesla on Sunday asking them to update my account with free supercharging due to the original purchase date of my Tesla bring April 2016. Hopefully will get a positive response from them. Are you saying that you know of owners in the same situation as mine that have been told no by Tesla?

I just looked up my option codes and FUSC is not there. SC01 is there, but I think that is the "Free for current owner" code. I don't think that is the code for "Free for life of VIN". Anyone have real insight into these code beyond what EV-CPO describes. As a point of reference, EV-CPO reports my VIN did have FUSC before I purchased my car, but on the first data pull I have recorded (18 days after taking delivery), FUSC is not there. Thoughts?

In follow up...chatted with Tesla today and they refused to budge on providing me FUSC. I asked if they could provide published documentation of their policy change. To which their response was simply "No sir". They claim that they had ownership of vehicle earlier this year (assuming lease return), and then vehicle went to auction. I am pretty certain that all took place prior to any Tesla policy change. But again no budge from Tesla. Very disappointing and frustrating!

I purchased (3rd party) a 2016 Model a 70D 2+ months ago. Today after supercharging while on a trip in Madison, WI I received an email requesting payment for supercharging. It was only for 85 cents, but I was of the understanding that free supercharging was transferrable to me with the purchase of a 2016 Model S, and I fear that if I dont do something that I could get charged fully for all supercharging. Does anyone have any insight or guidance on this situation? Thanks!
I just took a picture of my acct with the FUSC as a record of having FUSC should that change... Sorry about your but I can see some litigation coming on this.
Dzm

The car passing through Tesla ownership might have something to do with it.

I put a deposit on one from the used Tesla on line inventory, Tesla owned, four days before they discontinued the free supercharging, what it said in the ad was free unlimited supercharging for life. I had no idea that they had discontinued it after I bought it, and when I picked the car up a week or so later and paid the balance I couldn't figure out why the guy delivering the car was going on about the free supercharging, and how lucky I was, and, who knows if he knew what he was talking about, but he said that Tesla could not take it away if I sold it unless the car went back through them, they would be devaluing the car for me by removing an option that I in theory paid for.

My option code says SC01.

It made sense a couple of weeks later, I was looking for something else and ended up on the used car page, saw that none of them had free supercharging, wondered why, Googled it.

Anyway, mine does have it for me, and if this guy knew what he was talking about it's transferable. Caveat is that he also told me I couldn't upgrade to 4G, which is not true.

I'm also worried that at some point in the not so distant future Tesla will have financial problems to an extent that they will undergo changes and no one will continue to have free charging. I'm not saying it kept me awake last night, but I am not a Tesla financial optimist and only give them a 50/50 chance of making it another 4 years. They have too many projects on their plate and they can only succeed if most if not all of them become profitable.

So the "lifetime" for free supercharging may be Tesla's, not the car or the owner.

My 2019 MS, bought in early June clearly states Free Lifetime Supercharging to original owner only. I sometimes see charges appear on the supercharger screen but have never received any bills or had my account charged

If your car is totaled and Tesla is not offering the unlimited supercharging at that time, I wonder how you might be compensated for that loss? Seems to me that is a part of the value of the new car. Getting a used car won't convey the same value. If the accident is someone else's fault, I'd feel justified in claiming this for say, 300,000 miles which at Tesla's kWh rate of $0.28 comes to roughly $28,000 on the model X (~333 Wh/mi) minus existing use at the time of the accident of course.

I'd feel justified in claiming this for say, 300,000 miles which at Tesla's kWh rate of $0.28 comes to roughly $28,000 on the model X (~333 Wh/mi) minus existing use at the time of the accident of course.
I assume you're joking, or just have never had file a serious insurance claim before. If you could get them to compensate for it, they'll base the value either on how much Tesla was selling the upgrade to FUSC for during periods when it was an offered option or on the price delta between 2 otherwise equivalent (used) cars, one with and one without the FUSC. You don't get to set your own perceived value on things, it's based on what the market for such items says they are worth.

I assume you're joking, or just have never had file a serious insurance claim before. If you could get them to compensate for it, they'll base the value either on how much Tesla was selling the upgrade to FUSC for during periods when it was an offered option or on the price delta between 2 otherwise equivalent (used) cars, one with and one without the FUSC. You don't get to set your own perceived value on things, it's based on what the market for such items says they are worth.

Nothing to do with insurance... Your agreement with your insurance company is just that, between you and your insurance company. I have filed insurance claims and they have nothing to do with what was paid for a car. They have to do with replacement value.

This is an matter of being compensated for a loss. The car I have includes free charging at Tesla Superchargers. If I am not able to buy a comparable car with free charging then I would expect to be reimbursed for the car which can be valued easily as well as the charging which can be calculated easily. It has nothing to do with my "perceived" value. Charging costs money. If it came with the car, that's part of the car just like the autopilot or the performance option. I added the full self driving after the fact. It is not transferable to a new car, it will have to be bought again. If Tesla isn't offering the free charging with their cars at that time I would expect to be compensated for it.