Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging disappearing from used/cpo cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal belief is that it’s unethical to sell something as “free unlimited” and just because they get the car back they’re essentially re-selling the same thing again (in the form of charging people for pay per use SC). I get why they are doing it, that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

For all this time they had been reselling cars with FUSC, so what changed? I could understand this better if they adopted this new policy from day one, but to change it now after several years just feels like a slimy move.

Again just my opinion.

Personally I like the move as free SuperCharging is not that much of a benefit and it sure clogs up Charging stations. I recently took a 2200 mile trip charging across 5 states and racked up $53 in fees. Not bad when you need it. Charging at home is so convenient but many seem to go out of their way for a “free” charge.

Reactions: gavine and MP3Mike
Well pineapples!

I wasn't expecting this. I'm just now ready to make my move and get one already and I'm genuinely 50-50 in getting a new 3 or used S. Even though it's really not that much if I won't supercharge every time, it still would have been a nice "feel good" perk while spending time charging on road trips.

Are they really THAT desperate for any extra income source or is this yet another way to push people towards the Model 3?

Rumors of this happening started a couple of months ago, but now it appears to be completed. All used cars for sale are now SC04-Pay Per Use Supercharging (over 800 cars currently in the U.S.).
But since Tesla is taking possession of these used cars to resell, it is within their right to strip out FUSC for resale. It's neither right nor ethical to do so, but they are doing it.
??? Why is this not ethical?
They certainly are taking hit on the sale price by removing this feature, so it's well within their rights, no!?

I mean, in a private sale, when I offer FUSC, and Tesla doesn't, it stands to reason this would be worth something to the buyer, so Tesla has to compete with me on other parameters, like price, warranty, trust... No matter what, it affects the price they can sell the car.

I could understand this better if they adopted this new policy from day one, but to change it now after several years just feels like a slimy move.

Again just my opinion.

I can usually understand opinions I disagree with, but you've got me beat this time.

How on earth does this rank as 'slimy'..?

It is their car, they can do what they want with it and the buyer is free to decide if they like the price as offered or not.

They could offer them with only 3 wheels if they want and it is up to the buyer to decide if they like the deal.

I utterly fail to see how this is anything other than good news for existing Tesla drivers and owners.

Cars in the private market just got a little price boost and casual (unnecessary) use of Superchargers just got reduced.

If Tesla want to de-option all their used cars they can certainly do so and frankly with things like FSD and EAP they would be wise to do that. Easy enough to sell the options to new users on current terms if they want them, (and if Tesla still want to sell them, which they may not on HW below 2.5)

My personal belief is that it’s unethical to sell something as “free unlimited” and just because they get the car back they’re essentially re-selling the same thing again (in the form of charging people for pay per use SC). I get why they are doing it, that doesn’t mean I have to agree with it.

For all this time they had been reselling cars with FUSC, so what changed? I could understand this better if they adopted this new policy from day one, but to change it now after several years just feels like a slimy move.

Again just my opinion.

Its your opinion and you're more than entitled to it.

But for me its no more unethical than taking the FSD option off a car if a buyer doesn't want it. The only important thing is the buyer knows what they are buying and the person that takes the hit for the lower value is Tesla.

Tesla have never offered good trade in values and most sellers I know try and trade privately to get more money even if buying another Tesla, and that option has just been made more lucrative for them as they can offer something that Tesla don't.

But my view only holds if Tesla don't try and retrospectively apply the referral model where the benefit goes when the car changes hands, whoever sells the car. If they try and tell me my 2016 car that came with unlimited supercharging for life only applies to me, then I won;t be happy.

• Love
Reactions: robby and Mark_T
As long as they don’t advertise that the car has FUSC, I don’t see a problem. The buyer then understands it’s not included. End of story.

You are correct, and I basically agree with you. The issue is that the community knows that all 2012-2014 big-battery cars had FUSC, and it will take some time to now understand that they don't if you buy them from Tesla (but still should from private seller). It's a memory thing. I got burned by it myself; I thought 100D and P100D (now Long Range and Performance) came with larger (72A) on-board chargers. I guess I missed the news that the don't anymore. So my new Raven car has a 48A charger, which surprised me. Not that it really matters; my home charger is only 40A, but it would have been nice for destination charging. It's an example of how something in my head doesn't match reality, and that's definitely going to happen for people regarding cars that used to have FUSC and no longer do.

Tesla has been pretty clear from Day 1 that supercharging is intended for 'long distance travel' not to supplement charging at home....

Sort of. They implemented the urban superchargers a couple years ago specifically for local supercharging. Supercharging Cities

“Now, as part of our commitment to make Tesla ownership easy for everyone, including those without immediate access to home or workplace charging, we are expanding our Supercharger network into city centers, starting with downtown Chicago and Boston.”

The issue is that the community knows that all 2012-2014 big-battery cars had FUSC, and it will take some time to now understand that they don't if you buy them from Tesla (but still should from private seller).

Be careful with that because even if you buy from a private seller they may have bought from Tesla after the policy change. So just because it is a private sale of an old car doesn't mean that it will have FUSC.

• Helpful
Reactions: gavine