Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own an S and an X and for us, it's not worth much. Will depend heavily on how far away the nearest supercharger is for you. Only savings is on long trips, which now cost basically nothing.
Also even if it’s 5mins away, charging at home is way more convenient than spending an hr of your time to save a few bucks. Speaking from experience

Any current owners (of S/X) care to comment what Free Unlimited supercharging is actually worth? Like, I'm in LA and it's cool to know that I could drive to NYC & back for free (literally), but a) that's gonna be a super rare occurrence, and b) since one doesn't supercharge on the regular, how often does this come into play? I don't yet have an EV (P3D on order) so asking as a noob.

Great for long trips... not so much around town especially in California where the existing Superchargers are mobbed 24/7 :cool:

Awesome! I wonder what the significance is of August 1st.
Any current owners (of S/X) care to comment what Free Unlimited supercharging is actually worth? Like, I'm in LA and it's cool to know that I could drive to NYC & back for free (literally), but a) that's gonna be a super rare occurrence, and b) since one doesn't supercharge on the regular, how often does this come into play? I don't yet have an EV (P3D on order) so asking as a noob.

Depends on how often you take road trips really. If you take a couple a year, I'd expect savings of maybe $50-$100/yr?

Free supercharging is not worth the time or hassle if you have the option to charge at home.

Reactions: MXWing

Realized value depends on how often you use it. For most people, not very high. Without unlimited SC, Tesla gives out 400KWH I believe which translates to $80 in California. I think this a good base for the 'average' SC use. It would be a silly jump to spend $11k for this perk.

Perceived value is *irrationally high*. People will stand in line for 90 minutes to get free ice cream valued 1.25 when their theoretical opportunity cost could be in the hundreds.

That perceived value transfers over to future resale value giving this batch of PM3s an advantage on the secondary market.

As long as you don't ascribe a monetary value to it, you will just feel better having it. Ignorance is bliss. Ice cream and everything else taste better when its FREE :D

Last edited:
Supercharging through referral only stays with the original owner

Incorrect... it transfers to the next owner and remains with the vehicle. :cool:

upload_2018-7-31_22-42-18.png

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: Maaz and MXWing
Realized value depends on how often you use it. For most people, not very high. It would be a silly jump to spend $11k for this perk.

Perceived value is very high. People will stand in line for 90 minutes to get free ice cream valued 1.25 when their theoretical opportunity cost could be in the hundreds.

That perceived value transfers over to future resale value giving this batch of PM3s an advantage on the secondary market.

As long as you don't ascribe a monetary value to it, you will just feel better having it. Ignorance is bliss. :D
That reminds me of Buid-a-Bear pay-your-age promotion earlier this month. What a disaster in terms of opportunity cost.

Ignorance is a bliss. All Performance models depreciate more than the non-P counterparts.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
That reminds me of Buid-a-Bear pay-your-age promotion earlier this month. What a disaster in terms of opportunity cost.

Ignorance is a bliss. All Performance models depreciate more than the non-P counterparts.

If you had a newborn... 1/3rd of 1 penny for a bear. :D

When is your P Model 3 due anyway as your sig had one on order?

My counter argument to the horribly depreciating P Model 3 (which would outstrip the value of free SC credits by a tremendous margin) is I will want to hang on to my P Model 3 for the next 40 years.. just to keep the unlimited SC credits.

You can't scare me on the 39th year depreciation after I've had it for 38 already. ;)

That PM3 is going to be a part of my estate... great grandkids are going to fight over who gets the car with unlimited SC.

If you had a newborn... 1/3rd of 1 penny for a bear. :D

When is your P Model 3 due anyway as your sig had one on order?

My counter argument to the horribly depreciating P Model 3 (which would outstrip the value of free SC credits by a tremendous margin) is I will want to hang on to my P Model 3 for the next 40 years.. just to keep the unlimited SC credits.

You can't scare me on the 39th year depreciation after I've had it for 38 already. ;)

That PM3 is going to be a part of my estate... great grandkids are going to fight over who gets the car with unlimited SC.
It was $1 for newborn ;)

My estimate shows Aug - Oct. Still waiting for them to start building black interior w/ Performance upgrade package.

It was $1 for newborn ;)

My estimate shows Aug - Oct. Still waiting for them to start building black interior w/ Performance upgrade package.

There’s no updates on if it’s built or not.
Once it’s parked in the storage lot in downtown Irvine you will get a phone call asking if you want it the next day. Those estimates do not mean anything. :D

• Funny
Reactions: S5S5G6
If I known this was an option I probably would've gone with a Model 3P. Although doing the math, I realized I'd probably save at most $2300 over 5 years. A full charge cost me about $8.30 at home (paying about $0.10/kWh), and assuming a weekly charge thats only about $430/year or $2150 over 5 years if I exclusively supercharged.

In regards to the convenience factor, I slept in my Volt regularly to get 4 hours charges and managed to go 3 years on only 3 tanks of gas (and thats with only 40 miles of EV range!), so I'd likely make full use of supercharging (there's one literally on my way home from work.

If I known this was an option I probably would've gone with a Model 3P. Although doing the math, I realized I'd probably save at most $2300 over 5 years. A full charge cost me about $8.30 at home (paying about $0.10/kWh), and assuming a weekly charge thats only about $430/year or $2150 over 5 years if I exclusively supercharged.

In regards to the convenience factor, I slept in my Volt regularly to get 4 hours charges and managed to go 3 years on only 3 tanks of gas (and thats with only 40 miles of EV range!), so I'd likely make full use of supercharging (there's one literally on my way home from work.

Sleep 4 hours in the car to save a couple bucks of electricity? Might as well just live in the car full time and save money on rent then! Elon mentioned camper mode is coming soon, right?

U know what they say - u can live in a car, but u can’t drive a house!

Sleep 4 hours in the car to save a couple bucks of electricity? Might as well just live in the car full time and save money on rent then! Elon mentioned camper mode is coming soon, right?

U know what they say - u can live in a car, but u can’t drive a house!

Its was more about gas anxiety (a feature of owning a PHEV/Volt) than saving money. There were times I paid $1 or $2/hr charging (@ 3.3 kW) to avoid using gas haha....

I did seriously consider living in the car for a while haha, there was a kitchen/shower/bathroom at my office as well....but this is SoCal, not NorCal. Homes aren't as crazily priced here....

Last edited:
If I placed an order for a AWD on 6/28 and changed it to P on 8/1 does that mean my order is still dated for 6/28 and thus I would get the free supercharging as though I ordered P originality. Or does it count as 8/1 and doesn't get supercharging? Based on the whole free premium internet thing, one would assume it's still dated for 6/28 even with the P upgrade later.