Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging for performance model 3's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other question: I've already won all the prizes from the last round for 5 referrals...

So....am I eligible for all those prizes again, starting August 1, or not, since I already won them?? Hmm
No you aren't. I am in the same boat as you and I called them to ask. They said nope, so at this point I am using a friend's referral code and we are splitting prizes

That collective groan you hear is from the Supercharger network. I don’t worry too much about Tesla’s existence but this move really strikes me as a terrible policy that smacks of financial desperation. Of course I realize those of you who benefit can’t understand my worry as you are too busy dancing.

Not really a big worry. There will not be that many P versions sold at the price they are asking.

Reactions: commasign
Not really a big worry. There will not be that many P versions sold at the price they are asking.

Agreed. This just tips the balance slightly for those who were on the fence (folks deciding between an AWD and P, and folks who were going to order a P anyway but were originally planning to wait a little longer). Not going to see any effect on supercharger availability or usage.

That is for your car/account. I was referring to new M3P orders. Also the free supercharging does not transfer in my 2017 S. All cars bought through referral (past Jan. 2017 I believe) do not transfer free supercharging to new owner.

I think January 1, 2018, is cutoff for lifetime Supercharging for early owners that transfers with the car to the new owner. :cool:

upload_2018-7-31_22-42-18-png.322074

That collective groan you hear is from the Supercharger network. I don’t worry too much about Tesla’s existence but this move really strikes me as a terrible policy that smacks of financial desperation. Of course I realize those of you who benefit can’t understand my worry as you are too busy dancing.

Gross margin. There's 3 cars that Tesla really really wants you to buy. Guess which 3? And they all currently qualify for referrals and unlimited SC.

e951153a24cf347664d1136b020b0856.gif

***pssss - maybe.. just maybe P Model 3s help pay for additional Superchargers?***

Any current owners (of S/X) care to comment what Free Unlimited supercharging is actually worth? Like, I'm in LA and it's cool to know that I could drive to NYC & back for free (literally), but a) that's gonna be a super rare occurrence, and b) since one doesn't supercharge on the regular, how often does this come into play? I don't yet have an EV (P3D on order) so asking as a noob.

Like you want to know like how much is like free SC worth like so you can like go to NYC and like from LA ... get the like drift :rolleyes:

I think January 1, 2018, is cutoff for lifetime Supercharging for early owners that transfers with the car to the new owner. :cool:

upload_2018-7-31_22-42-18-png.322074
It was mid-January 2017, not 2018 when they switched over. Cars ordered after mid-January 2017 don't have Supercharging that transfers to the new owner.

The January 2018 was just a date where you could get free Supercharging for any car an existing owner purchased, whether or not they used a referral code.

… The $64K to $80k Model 3P's .
This is one of the few times that Tesla has really surprised me. I thought for sure they learned (a number of lessons) and were "cutting the cord" with Model 3 -- "none of them get lifetime supercharging".

Overnight I was mulling it over and I think the mindset is close to what you're describing. The sales pitch to/from Elon (not sure which direction) goes something like this:
Lifetime supercharging was part of the premium ($) offering of Model S/X. We keep attempting to chip at that for Model S and X, but leave the door open via referrals. But we never seem to draw the line in the sand and hold to it. Maybe it's time, but... perhaps we should reevaluate Model 3 a bit. Maybe we should think of the Model 3 Performance as a similar "premium ($)" offering, especially since the prices are actually higher than some S configurations at launch. This could be an additional incentive to nudge people to Performance to add some punch to 3Q (calendar) results too. Note: We gotta draw the line in the sand though and make note that the gravy train is going away -- maybe just announce an end date for "forever" referral benefit, limiting it to only 1 year?

Gross margin. There's 3 cars that Tesla really really wants you to buy. Guess which 3? And they all currently qualify for referrals and unlimited SC.
I'm kinda hoping they yank another lever in the next month of adding a new $1500 option (attached to PUP?) for lifetime Supercharging. For me thats probably 40,000mi worth (people that charge primarily in higher priced states, like CA, it'd be worth even more EDIT: that is to say, you'll reach your break even mileage charged at SC at a lower number of miles than that). Given what Tesla is aiming at for Semi charging costs, they could probably cover close to 21MWh in the longterm, or nearly 90,000 mi, with that $1500.

Last edited:
This is one of the few times that Tesla has really surprised me. I thought for sure they learned (a number of lessons) and were "cutting the cord" with Model 3 -- "none of them get lifetime supercharging".

Nope...they "plugged the cord back in" and I will be eternally grateful.

Think about it. For a $78k car with a 20% profit margin......how much are they losing? Nothing.

Its almost impossible to charge a Model 3 throughout its lifetime to the toon of $14k.

Nope...they "plugged the cord back in" and I will be eternally grateful.

Think about it. For a $78k car with a 20% profit margin......how much are they losing? Nothing.

Its almost impossible to charge a Model 3 throughout its lifetime to the toon of $14k.

Agree. The actual value of free supercharging to most people is really low. The perceived value is irrationally high. There are always outliers but in reality this will cost Tesla very little.