Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unlimited supercharging transfer process when purchased thru dealer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in a 2015 Model S 90D, and I believe that it has transferable unlimited supercharging.
My question is since I don’t have contact with the previous owner, and the dealer is unlikely to provide their contact due to privacy reasons; if ownership is transferred in the app by providing Tesla with the bill of sale and other documents, instead of getting in contact with the previous owner to remove the vehicle from their account, will Tesla not transfer the unlimited supercharging because Tesla processed the documents?

Don’t think that even matters. Private party sales are your best bet if you are after free super charging.
Well I guess I’ll just see how it goes… Will there be any issues using the car without transferring the account? I’ll be able to drive with just the key right?
According to what the dealer has told me, the dealer did not transfer ownership of the account from the previous owner to themself, so I’m hoping that means to Tesla it still looks like a private sale? Just wasn’t sure if they would still count that if the previous owner doesn’t manually remove the car from their own account, but going thru the process by sending sale documents to Tesla instead.

I think you have a couple of things going on. As far as supercharger, Tesla should let you know if the vehicle free supercharging will transfer to you. Most articles that talk about this will note to contact Tesla. If the vehicle was under your account, there is a way to look through the app or with a web browser.
I know your trying to figure that out now and again, I think Tesla should have the correct answer.
I think you should also be in touch with Tesla for your own peace of mind to ensure the vehicle can supercharge. There have been topics where a dealer has sold a tesla with a clean title but for some reason was known to tesla as a salvage title. Here or there, I would ensure that it still can be supercharged before moving foward. Not saying dealers lie but sometimes they don't speak all the truth.

Now as far as transferring the account. If you are to purchase this through a dealer, then the dealer will provide you with a bill of sale and that should satisfy Tesla in order to put the car on your account. You should not need to contact previous owner for the dealer is actually the previous owner to some degree.

Wish you the best in your search and I hope this works out for you. I know when I had any loaners over the years it was always a pleasure to drive an older MS. They ride and drive like a dream.

I traded in my 2018 Model 3 to a BMW dealer when my wife bought that car. The dealer then sold it as a pre-owned car on their lot. The buyer contacted me and was able to transfer the car into his name. I did not notify Tesla, only spoke with the buyer when he was at the dealership deciding to buy my used Tesla. The car shows on my account as a TRANSFER. At the time I purchased what is now the standard autopilot as an option. Tesla transferred that option to him as well.

The car either has transferrable supercharging or it doesn’t. Contacting the prior owner and asking them to do something is completely unnecessary, and for that matter there is nothing at all for them to do. Buying the car from a third party dealer vs. private party is irrelevant.

The ONLY thing that matters is whether or not Tesla took ownership of the vehicle again at any point after the original sale (as in a lease return or trade in). If they did, the transferrable supercharging entitlement was very likely stripped. If not, it will transfer without any special practice or procedure.

Last edited:
i think there's a misconception floating around that buying from ANY dealer will remove SC01 hence the questions like this...
This comes partially from Tesla not being clear about certain policies, from Tesla changing policies, and from ambiguity on how dealers obtain used cars.

Dealers can buy cars direct from private owners, but they also buy cars from auto auctions. Auto auctions are a way that businesses (like dealers, like CarMax, like Carvana, like Tesla) clear out/sell off cars they don't want to deal with for one reason or another (including condition, mileage, age, brand, etc.). After receiving a trade-in, Tesla may not want to sell that trade-in itself, so the car goes to auction. While the car is owned by Tesla, they can legitimately strip anything off the car that they so choose. But they should NOT be stripping features off in the middle of a sale or after a sale.

Reactions: vickh
Well it took a few days but good news is the supercharging did transfer over and I’m writing this sitting at a supercharger looking happily at the $0.

For some reason the car wasn’t letting me change the name to the 3 letter code, so I called Tesla support to see if they could enable that feature. In the end they opened a support ticket sent to my email for me to reply to and asked for the following info:
  • Email address of your Tesla account:
  • Full VIN:
  • Home or mailing address:
  • Phone number:
  • Was vehicle purchased from a private party or 3rd party dealership?

• Color photo of your current driver's license or state/province ID (name must match title or registration)
  • Color photo of your title, or registration, or bill of sale
  • If registering under a business, include your business card that includes your name and business name

So even tho I purchased it from the 3rd party dealer, it still transferred over.
I guess the only factor that matters is if Tesla had ever taken possession of it to remove the perk.
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I traded in my 2018 Model 3 to a BMW dealer when my wife bought that car. The dealer then sold it as a pre-owned car on their lot. The buyer contacted me and was able to transfer the car into his name. I did not notify Tesla, only spoke with the buyer when he was at the dealership deciding to buy my used Tesla. The car shows on my account as a TRANSFER. At the time I purchased what is now the standard autopilot as an option. Tesla transferred that option to him as well.
That is correct. TESLA said the easiest way to transfer is to ask the original owner to do it in the APP. If not, I will take 3-5 day after you sent in Proof of ownership and ID

If you don’t mind me asking, how did the new owner get in contact with you to transfer ?

This comes partially from Tesla not being clear about certain policies, from Tesla changing policies, and from ambiguity on how dealers obtain used cars.

Dealers can buy cars direct from private owners, but they also buy cars from auto auctions. Auto auctions are a way that businesses (like dealers, like CarMax, like Carvana, like Tesla) clear out/sell off cars they don't want to deal with for one reason or another (including condition, mileage, age, brand, etc.). After receiving a trade-in, Tesla may not want to sell that trade-in itself, so the car goes to auction. While the car is owned by Tesla, they can legitimately strip anything off the car that they so choose. But they should NOT be stripping features off in the middle of a sale or after a sale.
I bought a 2013 MS 40 2 weeks ago. The 40s actually have 60kw batteries that were software locked unless upgraded. Mine seemed to be upgraded, as I could charge the full 60kw pack for the first 4 days, until ownership transferred to me in the app. Now the battery is limited to charging to 68%. I know my car went through an auction before going to the dealership I bought it from. Is it possible Tesla stripped my unlocked battery and re-locked it when the ownership transferred? This experience has felt pretty crappy, because I thought I had the range of a 60 but suddenly it was stripped back to the range of a 40.