Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner... Tysions Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not taking sides, but I thought the chargers at the stores are reserved for Tesla Demo cars only, if you need to use them, you should've asked the store manager before using them. That's my understanding.

If the "offender" asked the Tesla store and they said "Sure, if one of ours is plugged in you can grab it" then maybe they thought they were doing the right thing. It is common knowledge that the store cars are going to be parked/plugged in there. Did the OP notify the store they were going to plug in?

The parking area at Tysons has been getting more crowded as of late. It used to be that the store asked for ppl to call and check in with them before plugging in. A few months ago they changed the signage; the left HPWC is reserved for the store, and the right one is available for public use. I've never used the 14-50's.

It's possible the New York driver called the store and asked if he could unplug the store's car, and unplugged the wrong car. Or.. He is just an ass.

If the "offender" asked the Tesla store and they said "Sure, if one of ours is plugged in you can grab it" then maybe they thought they were doing the right thing. It is common knowledge that the store cars are going to be parked/plugged in there. Did the OP notify the store they were going to plug in?

Tyson's is a mall store where they can't sell cars, discuss price etc. there isn't inventory and Virginia isn't allowed (except a single designated store that is not yet opened about half a mile away). I know the store folks, I'm in enough and those spots are marked for tesla customer vehicles. It pretty easy to tell a customer vehicle vs inventory anyway.

In any case leave me a note, that's all I asked. I'm always happy just to park there and not charge so no one door dings me (larger spots). However, I was plugged in, if you need to pull my plug leave a note... Did I say leave a note.

Totally not cool. I wish their was a way to text the other cars via the app - some kinda of geolocation thing that notified all cars in the same geolocation about the request to plug in / pull the plug. I was traveling to the Bethesda SC and every spot was filled with a Tesla - yet all of them were charged...but no plug-in was available. Bottom Line I wasn't in bad need of a charge, but if I had been I would have pulled the 14-50 and stayed with the car or left a note, because it was my only accessible charge location.

I had a similar experience shortly after getting my car. I was staying at a hotel that had a single J1772 available. My mobile app reported my charging stopped.

I happened to be in the lobby, so I was able to get to the car in a short time. Sure enough another out of state Model S had unplugged the connector from my car and plugged in theirs. A woman was walking away. I told her that was "uncool", and she seemed flustered and walked away. I plugged my car back in as I needed the charge for my 135 mile trek home.

I later learned she was unfamiliar with the type of charger and assumed the car was not charging for some reason. While I appreciate it was likely an honest mistake, I personally would not make many assumptions when messing with somebody else's car.

Being able to text other owners would be very handy. VIN to VIN would preserve privacy. I'd bet there are gobs of situations like this where the person charging doesn't really need more charge and someone pulling up is in desperate need and a simple text could allow them to take it without harming others, being a douche, or living with guilt.

I wonder if a phone camera could get a good enough image of the VIN for that to work? Maybe Tesla should include a QR somewhere?

Being able to text other owners would be very handy. VIN to VIN would preserve privacy. I'd bet there are gobs of situations like this where the person charging doesn't really need more charge and someone pulling up is in desperate need and a simple text could allow them to take it without harming others, being a douche, or living with guilt.

I wonder if a phone camera could get a good enough image of the VIN for that to work? Maybe Tesla should include a QR somewhere?

I've never worried about leaving my cell # on a note when I'm charging. Worst case, someone could post a number on a forum (ahem) and encourage crank calls. But shoot, they could do that with any number that is out there. Odds of it happening to me is probably minuscule at best.

So left work earlier today and decided to stop by Tysons Mall (Virginia) and parked in the designated Tesla parking that has HPWC (tesla store has parking for about 6 Tesla's in a secure location with two HPWC and 1-2 40A wall sockets). There were four spaces taken so I took one of the remaining and then used the 40A wall socket and my own charger to plug in.

I then went and ran some errands at the mall that I needed to do and then met my wife and Kids for dinner (they drove out on their own due to it being a snow day). Towards the end of the dinner I received a notice that charging had been interrupted, so I promptly left my wife and kids and went back to the car. What I found was an out of state (NEW YORK) plate Model S which had unplugged my charger and left it at the rear of my car and subsequently plugged in his/her own charger into the socket. I had 50% charge so I was ok and didn't have far to get home, but it annoyed me for a few reasons:

1. I left dinner early because of the warning
  2. My charger was just unplugged directly from the wall in mid charge
  3. No note was left. Now, I get it if you are driving to New York overnight. However, there is a supercharger 15 miles each way of that location. Leave me a damn note, I would.

Basically its rude that's what my conclusion is.

I could post a photo of the offending S but I wont....

Did you record the license plate number of the offending car? A reverse look-up is possible. Knowing the identity of the offending party would be great so we could all properly castigate this dreadful behavior.

It is unfortunate to hear stories like this. The OP could have been very low on battery.

I've left a note on my dash when I charge at hotels or other public places saying if you need a charge, call me at xxxxxx. Only once did I receive a call from another Tesla owner who was running on fumes. I told him to go ahead and unplug me.

I plan on getting http://www.takechargeandgo.com/2015/02/14/hangers/ ...just have to wait for them to ship to Canada.

I have charged at Tysons once and parked there once in the Tesla-only spots. The first time the store almost seemed annoyed that I asked if it was ok. The response was something akin to: of course it's ok, why would you even bother to ask. So the second time, I just parked there and didn't worry about it.

I'm always happy just to park there and not charge so no one door dings me (larger spots).

I was right with you (YEAH MAN, LET'S GO GET THEM!) until I got to that line.

I don't see how someone leaving a note in that case would have been helpful... as they waited for you to finish shopping and come out and read the note so they could park and charge?? Not very timely.

I don't get that.

If you left your phone number visible on your car, perhaps. But even then, you've crossed a line I wouldn't. If I'm not charging, I'm not taking up a space where someone else could charge. To avoid door dings I'm always happy just to park the next state away and walk over.

To be clear to those that have never been to Tysons corner mall, at this location there are more tesla spots than EVSEs or outlets. It can accommodate 7-8 cars, and there are two HPWCs and 1-2? 14-50's.

I too have parked there when the lot is full, and purposely parked in a slot that was away from the HPWCs because I did not need to charge. I also leave either my superchargerQR code or my cell number on the dash just in case.

I would never use a charging parking spot and not charge. I won't even park at a charging spot at the airport because I can get home without charging, and I would rather leave it open for someone who needs it.

To be clear to those that have never been to Tysons corner mall, at this location there are more tesla spots than EVSEs or outlets. It can accommodate 7-8 cars, and there are two HPWCs and 1-2? 14-50's.

I too have parked there when the lot is full, and purposely parked in a slot that was away from the HPWCs because I did not need to charge. I also leave either my superchargerQR code or my cell number on the dash just in case.

I would never use a charging parking spot and not charge. I won't even park at a charging spot at the airport because I can get home without charging, and I would rather leave it open for someone who needs it.

This.

I've done similarly.