Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Unplugged Performance Dual Rate LOWERING Spring Set

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would appreciate it if someone can provide us the ground clearance measurements for their M3 after installing UP Moderate springs. While I like the look of less wheel well clearance. Ground clearance is also important to me. Perhaps near the front and back jack points to check if the car is also level.

I test drove a model 3 for the first time yesterday (after driving an Audi S4 and a bmw M3 the day before). I am an aggressive enthusiast driver. There were two things that concerned me about the model 3, that I have not heard about: 1. the car I drove exhibit significant bouncing (in the rear) during hard cornering with the throtle pressed, and 2, acceleration from a rolling start 20-30 or 30-50mph was great, however, from a standstill (ie 0-5mph), I felt like the car was holding back (ie like there was more power and grip) that the car should be able to come off the line a little faster. I am especially concerned about the cornering behavior the car exhibited, as it really took to fun out of the hard turns. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Might this be related to the suspension or the traction control cutting back power to the wheels? Appreciate thoughts. I'm getting ready to pull the plug and place my configuration order in (overall, really enjoyed the car).

• Love
Reactions: BillO
I test drove a model 3 for the first time yesterday (after driving an Audi S4 and a bmw M3 the day before). I am an aggressive enthusiast driver. There were two things that concerned me about the model 3, that I have not heard about: 1. the car I drove exhibit significant bouncing (in the rear) during hard cornering with the throtle pressed, and 2, acceleration from a rolling start 20-30 or 30-50mph was great, however, from a standstill (ie 0-5mph), I felt like the car was holding back (ie like there was more power and grip) that the car should be able to come off the line a little faster. I am especially concerned about the cornering behavior the car exhibited, as it really took to fun out of the hard turns. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Might this be related to the suspension or the traction control cutting back power to the wheels? Appreciate thoughts. I'm getting ready to pull the plug and place my configuration order in (overall, really enjoyed the car).

The slow accel 0-5 is definitely software limited. EVs need aggressive traction control due to the instantaneous torque, but I agree there is more grip off the line than is actually being put to use. This is the same thing you’re noticing when accelerating out of turns. The TC is even more aggressive in my experience because the wheels are turned and it’s try to prevent you spinning out.

If you’re looking for pure driving pleasure I wouldn’t get a Tesla. We will see if Elon’s promised of track performance on the Model 3P are true but if Tesla’s past is any indication they are more interested in tuning the cars for straight line acceleration not handling. That said, besides the TC issue (and the complete lack of steering feel), the model handles incredibly well. The suspension and chassis are impressively tuned, and the low center of gravity holds it in the turns.

I really wish Tesla would release a track mode which allows more wheel spin and ideally lower power steering boost as well.

If you want some evidence of what a model 3 with no traction control would be like, scroll to the bottom of the Road & Track review:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a15070866/tesla-model-3-test-drive-review/

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Too bad because the car is generally fun to drive, with incredible passing acceleration. It can also take turns quite fast, albeit if your not stomping oin the gas paddle. My understanding is past performance s also don't allow a partial traction defeat, which makes me doubt tesla will be provide us a "joy" button ti make accelerating through turns more rewarding. I don't even need full drift, but a little wheel spin or oversteer would be nice.

Reactions: dgaultiere
Thanks for confirming my suspicions. Too bad because the car is generally fun to drive, with incredible passing acceleration. It can also take turns quite fast, albeit if your not stomping oin the gas paddle. My understanding is past performance s also don't allow a partial traction defeat, which makes me doubt tesla will be provide us a "joy" button ti make accelerating through turns more rewarding. I don't even need full drift, but a little wheel spin or oversteer would be nice.
There are two answers to the traction control issue now.

One, is the recent Model 3 owner who took his car to Laguna Seca and beat the previous EV record. He disabled TC by disconnecting the front wheel sensor. Obviously not a practical solution for street use but a simple fix for track days.

The second is that Mountains Pass Performance seems to have developed some kind of performance-oriented traction control device to replace the stock one. They’re currently using it on their Model 3 race/test car and have indicated they plan to commercialize it.

Reactions: Blue in NC
Is it just me or does the Mild drop look like total crap? I was looking for a small drop but I see no difference between Mild and Moderate. Im going to see if they will take them back.
Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Moderate_GREY-02-1.jpg
Unplugged-Performance-Dual-Rate-Lowering-Springs-Tesla-Model-3-Mild_WHITE-02-1-1200x800.jpg

I can see the difference in drop between the Moderate and Mild springs. The gap looks a touch wider as expected for the Mild springs. I'm just wondering if UP ever fixed the problem with the rears being lower than the fronts. It's hard to tell from the pics.

I can see the difference in drop between the Moderate and Mild springs. The gap looks a touch wider as expected for the Mild springs. I'm just wondering if UP ever fixed the problem with the rears being lower than the fronts. It's hard to tell from the pics.
Not sure if UP fixed the issue across the board. I did email them (had to reach out to one of their founders), they sent me a replacement set of rear springs which they tested at their facilities to have a drop that is more level with the front springs. They have not been the most communicative about it all--since I emailed them again and to ask a few more questions and never got a response again.

Anyways, at this point if I have to spend the money on the re-installation, I am likely to going to swap everything out for the Mountain Pass coilovers. It is definitely more expensive, but at least it will likely solve for the proper ride height, camber, and softens up the ride. I believe Mountain Pass will have everything in August, so likely to make the decision then.

From my understanding they just got the new batch of moderate springs that correct the front and back ride height issue. I will be going to them and getting them installed on the 30th, will post pictures after.

That's great! I would be interested in knowing if they dropped the rear less or dropped the front more from stock to get the overall 1.5" drop. I'm guessing UP would drop the rear less.

From my understanding they just got the new batch of moderate springs that correct the front and back ride height issue. I will be going to them and getting them installed on the 30th, will post pictures after.

This would be great. It looks like the rear of my car is lower than the front. It is quite annoying. Would be nice if they could remedy this for people that already own the springs at a discount or maybe even at no charge parts wise.