Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged Track Beasts! 3 vs Y

fastp3d

Jun 16, 2020
San Diego
I tracked the 3 and Y in one 15min session. The way the Buttonwillow track is configured you have to do a minimum of 3 complete runs to get a hot lap in (out lap, hot lap, cool down). Everything worked out and I managed to get the SUV lap record and a PB in my 3 all in the same session. Later that day, I shaved off another second in my 3 which makes it top 4 fastest Teslas at Buttonwillow. Check the video below and tell me what you think!

MoreAgain

Nov 23, 2018
San Diego
Nice driving, as usual! The comparison really shows the benefit of slicks. Your min. corner speeds in the Y on slicks were sick, especially at offramp, bus stop and the sweeper.

fastp3d

Jun 16, 2020
San Diego
Nice driving, as usual! The comparison really shows the benefit of slicks. Your min. corner speeds in the Y on slicks were sick, especially at offramp, bus stop and the sweeper.
Thank you! One thing I want to note on Y speed displayed on screen. It is not precise because it's not taking into account for the smaller UP 18" race wheels. I estimate about 6mph slower than what it actually shows.

fastp3d

Jun 16, 2020
San Diego
Sweet driving! What's your camera setup like that you used to film from inside cabin? That a GoPro?
Thanks! Gopro Hero 9. although I think it does too good of job stabilizing sometimes. Perhaps I need to turn off camera stabilization to promote the true experience I'm going through. I'm also thinking of mounting a helmet cam.

Reactions: shimmy

fastp3d

Jun 16, 2020
San Diego
Still it is a razor thin especially when you take away track mode, added mass, higher center of gravity and lower power to weight ratio. Amazing the Y did so well.
Yeah, it's pretty impressive. There are only about 10/80+ Teslas I know in sub 2. They are all 3's except this Y.

MoreAgain

Nov 23, 2018
San Diego
Still it is a razor thin especially when you take away track mode, added mass, higher center of gravity and lower power to weight ratio. Amazing the Y did so well.

The slick tires are the key difference maker here. Going sub-2 in a Y on street tires would be the challenge.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC