Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual steering wheel vibration and noise

DJ 240V

Oct 20, 2016
California
I got my car 3 weeks back. Last night as I gently accelerated (after stoping at a red light ), there was an unusual vibration on the steering wheel ( not subtle) accompanied with what appeared to be noise coming from front left tire. Has anyone else experienced this? I letft a voice mail with the service center and waiting to hear back.

I tried driving around trying to replicate the problem for about 30 mins after it happened and could not.

We are planning on a 1k+ roadtrip shorty - should I be worried?

Reactions: markn455

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Ok, you didn't mention the actual speed where it started.

Lane warning set to off? But I don't think that triggers at low speed, so not likely cause.

DJ 240V

Oct 20, 2016
California
Traction control? Grasping, but again no conditions mentioned.
Thats a great point! And im hoping that is it. It did rain earlier in the day and the roads were wet. The road was particularly crowded as well so possibly had a film of oil. I did feel the "knocking" from front left wheel. Doe any one know if traction control will cause the shaking all the way to the steering?

mspohr

Jul 27, 2014
California
Thats a great point! And im hoping that is it. It did rain earlier in the day and the roads were wet. The road was particularly crowded as well so possibly had a film of oil. I did feel the "knocking" from front left wheel. Doe any one know if traction control will cause the shaking all the way to the steering?
Traction control will cause a knocking vibration. Most noticeable at low speed. If the road was slippery, that could have caused it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC