Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unusual use of Frunk? Reporter wants to know.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty much anything that smells goes in the frunk. My favorite use is when I go to the gas station and get a bag of ice. The look on peoples' faces are priceless. But then I spend the whole drive home repeating "don't forget about the ice..."

I raise honeybees, and this weekend was one of our bottling weekends; our "honey processing plant" (a family member's garage) is about 150 miles from us. What better way to get there than to take the Tesla?

1274896_10201357196645152_859069979_o.jpg

And when I say I put my honey in the frunk, I don't mean my wife! :)

Hmm, might get warm in the summer. We put our bee nucleus in the back seat floor area :tongue: considered the frunk but it was >90F

nice FlasherZ !
we have a frameless hive

Liz was referring to the times we've taken the Tesla to pick up our packages of bees, we stuck them in the frunk too. I could have put those in the back seat without problems but the frunk works nicely, and since the bees usually keep a brood-rearing hive at 94 degrees regardless of season anyway, the heat won't hurt them too much.

For honey harvest, I won't use the passenger compartment, need it for the family; there is just too much leaky-sticky; and, the occasional handful of bees are still hanging around on the frames.

I can't find a picture right now, but at a 4th of July parade one Model S drove with us from the staging area...and as soon as they got downtown, their daughter pushed up the hood, jumped out of the frunk and started passing out candy.

Last Halloween, some Tesla stores had candy in the frunk.

@FlasherZ, is there anything that you don't do?!!

I have a fruit orchard. It grew from having extra land near my home and I planted 3 trees. 3 became 20 became 70+. Then I added bees.

I suffer from a syndrome that requires I keep learning new stuff all the time. That tends to mean a lot of interests and hobbies as well.

For what it's worth, I don't maintain a nuclear missle silo at home. So that's something I don't do. :)

Heh, heh-heh. You didn't say "butt".

I carefully did the two-hand thing for a long time, but I hated putting down whatever I was carrying. I now close with the palm of one hand, right in the middle, very close to the front edge and it works great - no hood flexing, and it closes nicely. It seems it didn't when I first got the car; not sure why it works now.

I carefully did the two-hand thing for a long time, but I hated putting down whatever I was carrying. I now close with the palm of one hand, right in the middle, very close to the front edge and it works great - no hood flexing, and it closes nicely. It seems it didn't when I first got the car; not sure why it works now.

That's the way I've always done it too... The service staff told me they teach people the two-hand, but right near the edge, single hand press, works great. I think it's more to reduce the risk of bending the lid if something is too high in the cargo area. It takes a bit more force with one hand to push it down, whereas with two you're likely to use less "oomph" and feel the resistance.

For those who have seen "Legally Blonde", think of my method as a modified reverse "bend and snap".

Little brother in the frunk...

I use it to store my younger brother when driving him around in the Tesla as punishment for saying "meh" after the test drive of my new Model S! For the record he is 6 foot, 180lbs and the frunk closes completely without him being squished! I guess I now know why there is an emergency release there...

image_7.jpeg

We had a toilet in ours.

17 years ago we bought a camper van. My wife told me we "had" to have one because she wouldn't go camping in a tent because she was afraid of bears. (She was actually shooting for an RV, but we got the camper van because it got 16mpg instead of 8). We just sold the camper van a couple of months ago. We recently took the Model S on a trip over the mountains and stayed in a rustic cabin for a couple of days.

And it turns out bears were never my wife's issue (although she did get a real fright from some deer on this trip). She just wanted to always have a toilet with her so she didn't have to walk outside to the restroom in the middle of the night.

We still had the porta-potty from our van...and it fits perfectly in the frunk.

portable-camping-toilet.jpg

Last edited:
We had a toilet in ours.

17 years ago we bought a camper van. My wife told me we "had" to have one because she wouldn't go camping in a tent because she was afraid of bears. (She was actually shooting for an RV, but we got the camper van because it got 16mpg instead of 8). We just sold the camper van a couple of months ago. We recently took the Model S on a trip over the mountains and stayed in a rustic cabin for a couple of days.

And it turns out bears were never my wife's issue. She just wanted to always have a toilet with her so she didn't have to walk outside to the restroom in the middle of the night.

We still had the porta-potty from our van...and it fits perfectly in the frunk.

View attachment 33612

Did she take it out or just poop in it while it was still in the frunk?