Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y.

The way SUV's are selling, Tesla would be foolish not to release the Y shortly after the 3. Same sled, and the production line HAS to have been designed to crank both out simultaneously. Y starts production 6 months after 3 is first delivered. Reservations are transferable to the Y. New orders for Y being accepted starting immediately.

150,000 new deposits in the first month.

RT

Agreed.

This is actually one of the few speculations that makes sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Model Y.

The way SUV's are selling, Tesla would be foolish not to release the Y shortly after the 3. Same sled, and the production line HAS to have been designed to crank both out simultaneously. Y starts production 6 months after 3 is first delivered. Reservations are transferable to the Y. New orders for Y being accepted starting immediately.

150,000 new deposits in the first month.

RT

I agree as well. The Y will be based upon the 3 just as the X is on the S. It would be foolish to create a production line from the start that isn't capable of producing both vehicles. I also agree about timing and possible transfer of reservations to the Y. If this product announcement isn't about the Y I think we will see it announced shortly. This would also create an influx of $$ also in line with Elon's statement for lack of need to raise capital for the next quarter or two.

We expect:

PowerWall 2 & PowerPack 2
AP 2
Solar Roof

We don't all expect (but I do):
Solar roof on Tesla cars
Model Y/pickup
Bus
Truck (semi, etc.)
Inverter
AI enhancements to Tesla cars (ie, part of AP2 hw)
Swappable smaller batteries (smaller sizes, 2-4 per car, insert when needed)
Tractors (as in construction, farm, etc.). Standard ruggedized swappable battery packs would seem necessary to me. Dirty, rough, heavy duty, heavy duty cycle, heavy load, reliable, shaken a lot, etc. different than dainty premium EV's.
Jobsite power
Wireless charge, snake charge, whatever to not need plugin

He already said no:
Use car battery for home solar bidirectional

Coming later:
Model 3 (or is it already here?)

Down the road:
Airplane
Helicopter
RV
Redesigns of S,X,Roadster (spreading features of them around, adding features/luxury)
HUD
Emergency rockets in cars to divert around accidents

As unlikely as this is, I would give about 40% to this (50% is AP2 and 10% is sg else). Others have noted this could be related to the Model X 60 disappearing - making room for Y - and that a few hundered million in reservations could help with the cash sans the capital raise. Also, it may not be that far fetched to assume that they have 1 early prototype of Y ready to show off.
Or the cargo van based on Model X chassis he recently mentioned.

Am I the only one who thinks of this every time October 17th is mentioned?:

The 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake occurred in Northern California on October 17 at 5:04 p.m.

Maybe the product that all the stockholders are waiting for, Profit?

The "unexpected" part is curious.. We are all expecting AP 2.0 to roll out before the 3.

Could it be:

Heads up or Augmented Reality display?
P100 Quad motors?
New superchargers?
Model Y?
Model S Wagon?
I like the quad motors one. Gets rid of axle problems. I always thought electric motors allow this in a way ICE don't, and I based lots of designs off this concept.

After thread merge, I voted Semi. My second guess is Model Y/Pickup, and third guess is solar roof on car.

People: "unveil" is visual. AP2.0 hw isn't a match on multiple levels. If we're getting AP2 now, I think this unveiling is something else, additional to that. Same goes with policies (SuperCharging), existing packs new sales configs (100D).

Last edited:
I still think it's AP 2.0 aka Tesla Vision.

IMO, a model Y crossover would hurt Model X sales. Too much risk in that to cover another year of X sales. A new model should be a huge invitation based event, not a simple a tweet for an unveil.

What would be unexpected? A Model X with normal doors and folding 2nd row seats!!

We expect:
I like the quad motors one. Gets rid of axle problems. I always thought electric motors allow this in a way ICE don't, and I based lots of designs off this concept.
Interesting. I wonder if this is related to the requirement that all Model X come with Smart Air Suspension. Maybe they're eliminating the axles and using that space for more battery capacity.