Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's all about charging and supercharging. The robosnake, perhaps, along with the decoupling of supercharging from the price (drops entry price even further) along with details of either faster superchargers or significant details on the expansion of the network.

I wouldn't put it past them to take on a new project.

A don't think anyone would expect a full unveiling event for a new car like the 3 unveiling. But they could reveal a new concept in the works with the full unveiling happening next year.

While building "the machine to build the machines" they discovered they could offer several different configurations of the M3 with minimal tooling. So they'll introduce the M3 shooting brake (2 door wagon) and M3 midsize pickup truck.

Reactions: Ulmo and JPUConn
Elon Musk uses language precisely. "Unveiling" is a visual word, which means he's going to *show* something, not just *announce* something. He said "product", not "feature", so it's not AP 2.0. And he said "unexpected by most", which rules out both AP 2.0 and (non-P) 100D. My best guess is a next-gen roadster.
Even Wikipedia already has next gen roadster due 2019. How is that unexpected by most?

Tesla CEO Elon Musk announces unexpected product unveiling Oct. 17th & Tesla SolarCity event Oct. 28

Tesla CEO Elon Musk took to Twitter this afternoon to announce an unexpected product launch event on October 17th, just a week away. He further noted that the expected Tesla/SolarCity announcement, which he previously hoped to hold at the end of the month, would indeed be on October 28th… We have heard a number of things about the SolarCity event which many expect to also mark the closing of the deal. Fred broke the news of the more dense Powerpack 2.0 made with the new 2170 cells manufactured at the Gigafactory as well as the likely Solar Roof product which we’ve heard resembles an existing kickstart project. There will likely be many more surprises including the packaging of solar/storage backup/charging/vehicles. I’d of course like to see a DC charging option and a Tesla Inverter/charge controller…just in time for the holidays!

As for the 17th event, we haven’t heard specifics but can dip into speculation that the event will revolve around Autopilot, a hot topic of late. One possible scenario would be a new Autopilot 2.0 hardware announcement with hopeful retrofit upgrades to recent existing vehicles. We’ve seen some previews of what this will be like. Another possible topic of conversation on the 17th will be updates to Autopilot software stack which we are tracking closely. There could possibly be some Model 3 announcement updates which could include higher-end optional specs and perhaps a closer look at what the final, pencils down design will look like. We heard a long time ago that the top end of Model 3 will go from 0-60 in under 4 seconds and will have a range of over 300 miles. More recently (3 mos ago) we heard that the internal engine inverter for the model 3 would be a beast.

Starting October 17th 2016 you will be able to change your Model X into various other vehicles such as a Model S for a small fee.

Made possible because all Tesla's are actually transformers that have been software limited to their current shapes thanks to a revolutionary new smart aluminum shape shifting material.

Elon did say the X has features we have not been yet told about.

Either that or all tesla's will ship with a 100kw battery that is software limited to various sizes, I think that would be a smart move, allowing tesla to continue to making money on tesla's long after the initial purchase, could explain why they removed the 60d, they may only want to go as low as 75kw now.....hopefully that means a free upgrade to the outstanding 60d orders

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
It seems reasonable to suppose that it'll be something related to the known roadmap:

in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:

Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it
We can probably rule out (1) because it would fit better with the announcement on the 28th. As I see it (4) depends on (3). That leaves (2) and (3).

If it's (2) it could be more info on the TM3, which would be nice. I don't care much about other vehicle types — with apologies to those who do.

If it's (3) my expectations will be lower than some. I expect the next generation of hardware sensors to be better that the current generation, but still a work in progress. The next round of improvements may be enough to push Tesla from SAE L2 up to L3, at least for some situations and in some jurisdictions. But I won't hold my breath for L4 capabilities, much less L5. Initially new hardware may only support a more robust implementation of L2: better blind spot monitoring and collision avoidance, but still requiring continuous human supervision due to some mix of legal and technical factors. That could be enough to claim "10x safer", which would be great.

I'd also love to see some traffic flow optimization features. I think that could make a big difference to quality of life in areas where Teslas are popular and traffic is terrible: The Physics Behind Traffic Jams and all that.

Reactions: Ulmo
My guess is a wagon/CUV variant of Model 3.

Elon did say "product" and not "feature", which IMO would rule out Autopilot 2.0 hardware… UNLESS it's also an available retrofit for people with Autopilot 1.0 Model S/X. An "upgrade" pack for $x would be interesting.

Supercharger robot snake is my WAG.

Model Y.

The way SUV's are selling, Tesla would be foolish not to release the Y shortly after the 3. Same sled, and the production line HAS to have been designed to crank both out simultaneously. Y starts production 6 months after 3 is first delivered. Reservations are transferable to the Y. New orders for Y being accepted starting immediately.

150,000 new deposits in the first month.

RT