Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the twitter announcement was phrased slightly differently:

"Tesla product unveiling on the 17th (unexpected by most), followed by Tesla/SolarCity on the 28th"

So it is a Tesla product; and unexpected by most, therefore expected by some - and that just has to be some on here

The announcement on the 28th will reveal the impact of the new battery configuration on the Powerwall/Pack. I think there is a significant chance that he is going to reveal the impact of this configuration on the range of the Model III rather than leave it to us to speculate about after the Solar City announcement. He has been very silent about the Model IIi and I think that would stir some renewed interest until the actual second reveal. If not that Autopilot hardware version 2.0.

• Elon Musk pending announcement::

• There will be a new product announcement before October 28th's solar roof unveiling. He said the other product announcement is "unexpected by most."

One possibility is that Tesla is gearing up for its Autopilot 2.0 hardware announcement. According to TechCrunch, the updated system will enable Tesla Autopilot to read stop signs and traffic lights, allowing the cars to navigate even when not driving on highways — a current limitation.

But the announcement could also have to do with Tesla's at-home energy storage options, thePowerwall and Powerpack. During Tesla's second-quarter earnings call, Musk teased that new at-home storage options were on the way.
  • _____________________
  • With all of the existing Tesla diversification categories, the guess might be anything but the Model 3.
  • dg 10-9-16

I'm guessing it'll be Autopilot 2.0 with long-range rear sensors, capable of fully autonomous driving once the software catches up. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they announce the non-Performance 100D with crazy range. I doubt it would be the Model Y; that one deserves its own large flashy reveal event, perhaps synchronous with the Model 3 event part deux.

Longshot: it could also be V2G related, such as the ability to trickle-charge a PowerWall from the vehicle battery during an outage. That would certainly be unexpected by most.

Reactions: 3Victoria
I'll guess it will be an overall GF update including the announcement that they have begun successfully producing early 21-70 cells for production testing and eventually to make prototype Model 3 packs by the end of this year. Also, an update on GF construction progress and plans for how the newer building sections will be used and what battery output they will be capable of producing.

He might also confirm that there will be upcoming Model S/X battery packs based on 21-70 cells but I'm doubting that he will disclose the battery capacity of those future packs.