Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found in updated Order Page:

Enhanced Autopilot $5000 ($6000 upgrade after delivery)
Full Self Driving Capability $3000 ($4000 upgrade after delivery)

So the affordable $35,000 Model 3 is now potentially $43,000 before adding any additional features. I wonder what percentage of Model 3 buyers will opt out of this extra $8,000 when configure their vehicles.
I'm not....I'm all in.

Reactions: SOLARUSA

So the affordable $35,000 Model 3 is now potentially $43,000 before adding any additional features. I wonder what percentage of Model 3 buyers will opt out of this extra $8,000 when configure their vehicles.
Sounds as if you don't need to opt for it right away as its a software thing

I have no plans to include this $8000 worth of autopilot stuff in my Model 3. Chances are good I will order the bigger battery and no other options. Plain white paint at no extra cost better be available then too, or some other nice colors, not the drab dark dull colors the Model S has.

Reactions: Owner
Man, an automatic supercharger connection is the LAST thing Tesla needs to waste time on. If you are too damn LAZY to get out of the car and plug the cable in, you don't deserve a Tesla! How did you ever manage to pump your car up with gas back in the day?

I'm still shaking my head over this.

Unless it's charging mighty fast, the driver is going to end up getting out of the car anyway.

I'm speechless. This is the announcement that we've been waiting for for the last several days.

I think you can pay $500 to move your deposit to a new order. A friend said he was just told he could do that for his order.
I sent a message to my delivery rep so will find out in the morning. The car is here and all prepared for my pick up next Tuesday. This is a very complex decision as the new hardware won't have autopilot enabled until end of the year and the full self drive has no date and could be months or even a year out.

Do I cancel and get a December delivery and pay the extra $5500 ($8000 - $2500 that I paid for the original autopilot). Or just sod it take this car and replace it in 3yrs once they have ironed out all the issues - decisions

I would expect Tesla would have waited for all older generation hardware cars to get delivered before they make this announcement. So I bet if your car is being delivered, it already has new hardware.

At least that's what I would expect.
It looks like Model X with VIN 22xxx+ and S with 163xxx or so might have the new hardware. I mentioned the new option codes a few days ago and gave a VIN of a car in Fremont to check out. Too bad nobody took me up on that offer. I suppose they wouldn't have let anyone see it anyways...which would've been a good hint that it had been updated.

Unless it's charging mighty fast, the driver is going to end up getting out of the car anyway.

I suspect that the automatic charging is for the car to charge itself, perhaps with NO ONE IN THE CAR. Maybe you get out at your favorite restaurant, the car Valets itself to the supercharger while you dine, then parks happily until you are ready for it to pick you up.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lex
And.....how much for a retrofit :)

Our own (human) visual processing works with very limited data. What our brains do well is take all that data and merge it into a good mental map of how we expect things to be. It works very well :) though it means we sometimes can't see something obvious, even though we think we can see everything really well.

Which is to say... it'd be great if they allowed a CPU upgrade on older cars.

It won't improve the cameras and radar etc, but a more sophisticated internal map, more sophisticated overlays of visual/radar data, and more powerful prediction of how cars and people MIGHT move - these would all be a very effective upgrade.

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Do I cancel and get a December delivery and pay the extra $5500 ($8000 - $2500 that I paid for the original autopilot). Or just sod it take this car and replace it in 3yrs once they have ironed out all the issues - decisions

Since you asked, I would cancel the current order and take a newly equipped hardware that should be enabled by the end of this year.

Whether you have new or old hardware, it's never perfected so there's advantage to use the lesser capable one.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
I suspect that the automatic charging is for the car to charge itself, perhaps with NO ONE IN THE CAR. Maybe you get out at your favorite restaurant, the car Valets itself to the supercharger while you dine, then parks happily until you are ready for it to pick you up.
And most importantly, it moves out of the way when done.