Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Man, an automatic supercharger connection is the LAST thing Tesla needs to waste time on. If you are too damn LAZY to get out of the car and plug the cable in, you don't deserve a Tesla! How did you ever manage to pump your car up with gas back in the day?

I would assume this is in preparation for when your Tesla can drive to the Supercharger without you even being in the car.

Reactions: malcolm
If it costs a serious chunk of change to order the full suite of new hardware, but full autonomy may be years away due to various factors, what's the benefit of paying for the hardware now without all the functionality enabled? Would people who have cars in transit be better off just going through with their purchases rather than canceling and buying a new car with new hardware that has disabled four functions that already work with the current hardware? And by the time full autonomy is enabled and approved by regulators, would some of these owners be poised to buy new cars anyway (at which time paying for the enhanced hardware suite would also provide fully autonomous functionality)?

Am I missing something here or is this like buying an HDTV early on but not having any programming that can take advantage of the hardware? And by the time programming became available, you're already on to a new TV set?

New options on the Tesla site, "Enhanced Autopilot" and "Full Self-Driving Capability":

tesla-autonomous-options-jpg.199257

If it costs a serious chunk of change to order the full suite of new hardware, but full autonomy may be years away due to various factors, what's the benefit of paying for the hardware now without all the functionality enabled? Would people who have cars in transit be better off just going through with their purchases rather than canceling and buying a new car with new hardware that has disabled four functions that already work with the current hardware? And by the time full autonomy is enabled and approved by regulators, would some of these owners be poised to buy new cars anyway (at which time paying for the enhanced hardware suite would also provide full autonomous functionality)?

Thats the quandary I have, my car is due next Tuesday, do I take it or do I cancel and get a more advanced autopilot that isn't functioning on day 1

I have no plans to include this $8000 worth of autopilot stuff in my Model 3. Chances are good I will order the bigger battery and no other options. Plain white paint at no extra cost better be available then too, or some other nice colors, not the drab dark dull colors the Model S has.
If it can be enabled after the fact it would imply that the car comes with the hardware. I am interested in seeing what the margins are for the Model 3.

Am I missing something here or is this like buying an HDTV early on but not having any programming that can take advantage of the hardware? And by the time programming became available, you're already on to a new TV set?

Yes, you are missing the fact that this is not just some fly-by-night upgrade. This is the autopilot suite that will go in the Model 3, so it's here to stay for 2+ years at the very least. Getting it now you are essentially opting-in to be a beta tester, just like AP 1.0 and any other break-through thing Tesla has done. I am taking delivery end of November and can live without those features for a few months. It's really not a big deal. Going so far as to say that someone would buy another car based on that is ludicrous.

It seems that with this upgrade, all MobileEye involvement is gone. And as we know it hasn't been a friendly breakup. The previous radar software upgrade was internally developed (right?) but still partnered with the MobileEye visual system.

The transition must be a real challenge for Tesla. I wonder if they've pushed forward their hardware plans due to MobileEye, or whether they were intending to release now anyway but with MobileEye software so users barely noticed.

In any case I think they've done well, and I think they've built a brilliant reputation for their software upgrades so at least on that front no-one will be concerned about whether it will happen. Just wishing they didn't have to wait.

I sent a message to my delivery rep so will find out in the morning. The car is here and all prepared for my pick up next Tuesday. This is a very complex decision as the new hardware won't have autopilot enabled until end of the year and the full self drive has no date and could be months or even a year out.

Do I cancel and get a December delivery and pay the extra $5500 ($8000 - $2500 that I paid for the original autopilot). Or just sod it take this car and replace it in 3yrs once they have ironed out all the issues - decisions

I am in the same situation. I bought a brand new inventory MS at the end of Sept that was heavily discounted. It is currently being shipped with an expected ETA in three days. Considering the discount I received I could enjoy AP1 now and pay the upgrade fee next year to get AP2 and still come out ahead. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out...

• Disagree
Reactions: Owner and MP3Mike
If it costs a serious chunk of change to order the full suite of new hardware, but full autonomy may be years away due to various factors, what's the benefit of paying for the hardware now without all the functionality enabled? Would people who have cars in transit be better off just going through with their purchases rather than canceling and buying a new car with new hardware that has disabled four functions that already work with the current hardware? And by the time full autonomy is enabled and approved by regulators, would some of these owners be poised to buy new cars anyway (at which time paying for the enhanced hardware suite would also provide fully autonomous functionality)?

No, you aren't missing a thing. You've covered it completely.

Reactions: Owner
I am in the same situation. I bought a brand new inventory MS at the end of Sept that was heavily discounted. It is currently being shipped with an expected ETA in three days. Considering the discount I received I could enjoy AP1 now and pay the upgrade fee next year to get AP2 and still come out ahead. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out...

There is no upgrade fee from AP1 to AP2. You can only enable the Enhanced AP and self-driving on cars produced as of today.

I didn;t get a discount, I placed my order in July but didn't need delivery until next week. Problem is the hardware isn't in the cars shipped therefore there is not post delivery upgrade option for us. The idea of a retrofit for this is out of the question due to the significant change in hardware, more sensors, cameras, change in the computer system, etc.