Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amazing! I’m getting my black/white int MS wrapped in 3M 1080line gloss blue metallic. Exact match to the Tesla blue. (Not a fan of black but got one of the unicorn inventory P100D’s at too good of a rate to not get it!)

Question...how is the vinyl with washing, waxing etc? Did to find the upkeep the same as regular paint?

Attachments

• 5FA3E213-50D7-4758-8DB9-87A11AB2EBAF.jpeg
    5FA3E213-50D7-4758-8DB9-87A11AB2EBAF.jpeg
    373.7 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: benjiejr
Amazing! I’m getting my black/white int MS wrapped in 3M 1080line gloss blue metallic. Exact match to the Tesla blue. (Not a fan of black but got one of the unicorn inventory P100D’s at too good of a rate to not get it!)

Question...how is the vinyl with washing, waxing etc? Did to find the upkeep the same as regular paint?

Well black is the best color to lay a wrap over - hides the door jambs, etc. That's a beautiful wrap you chose!

Yeah, upkeep is basically the same. If I kept up with it, I could just wipe it down with a waterless wash once or twice a week and it would look great. If it got really dirty, I would just give it the old 2 bucket wash with a pressure washer. It holds up extremely well. Actually, I think it's a bit easier because you don't have to be quite as careful not to scratch the paint. Good luck!

Well black is the best color to lay a wrap over - hides the door jambs, etc. That's a beautiful wrap you chose!

Yeah, upkeep is basically the same. If I kept up with it, I could just wipe it down with a waterless wash once or twice a week and it would look great. If it got really dirty, I would just give it the old 2 bucket wash with a pressure washer. It holds up extremely well. Actually, I think it's a bit easier because you don't have to be quite as careful not to scratch the paint. Good luck!

Thx!
Did you get the door jambs or inner doors done?
Figured it’s somewhat hard given the hinges etc which can’t be wrapped.

I can either wrap exterior only or exterior with inner doors.

Reactions: benjiejr
How much did that full wrap cost you?

Man, I get this question all the time and it really varies on several factors. The guy who wrapped mine is a friend who does it for a living, so he cut me a little bit of a deal. I've heard prices all over the place on wraps and I think sometimes we get overcharged because it's a Tesla. There is a lot of prep, assembly/disassembly, and tedious work involved. Since I've helped out on the wrap and unwrap, I completely understand why it can be so expensive - almost the cost of a well-done paint job. Don't go cheap - I've seen cheap wrap jobs and they are really horrible. A good job will look like paint and most people won't even know it's a wrap.

Some rough estimates...

Chrome delete: $600-800 - There's actually several difficult spots on a Tesla, esp. the chrome around the mirrors is challenging with lots of curves and moving parts.
Wrap material: $800-3000 - You can find a lot of options in the $800-1200 range. Chromes are much more expensive and around $3000, plus they are much more difficult to install so installation will cost more (can't use as much heat or stretching).
Wrap: $1500-3600 - Depending on vehicle and difficulty. I was quoted by a local company $3600. I told them I already bought the material, just wanted a quote for install. That seemed too high to me. Chrome wrap will be on the higher end on this range.
Unwrap and prep: $500-1500 - I was quoted by a local company $1500. Again, seemed high, but I did this and there is a lot of work involved to prep the surface for a new wrap. It's very time consuming.
Door jambs: $500-$1300 - This is completely optional. I was quoted by a local company $1300. I wouldn't even worry about this on a black car. On a light colored car with a darker wrap, it is nice to wrap the door jambs so you don't see the lighter paint around the edges or when you open the doors/hatch/frunk. I didn't do it last time, but I am considering it this time.

As you can see, it adds up real quick. If someone quotes a complete wrap for like $2000, I might be a little wary because the material alone can cost close to that or more. Not saying it's not possible, but just make sure the work is top notch and the material is good quality.

Reactions: masamitsu
Thx!
Did you get the door jambs or inner doors done?
Figured it’s somewhat hard given the hinges etc which can’t be wrapped.

I can either wrap exterior only or exterior with inner doors.

Yeah, I skipped the door jambs last time, mainly because the car was brand new and no one around me had wrapped a Tesla before so I was scared of them pulling parts off my car. lol Since the car was white, you could see some white peaking through at certain angles. It bothered me and my OCD. I'm considering doing it this time, but not sure yet. To save some money, I might wrap the door jambs in satin black (i have several other satin black accents) because it's less expensive and can be replaced easily from the wear and tear of people getting in and out or loading things in and out of the car.

Yeah, I skipped the door jambs last time, mainly because the car was brand new and no one around me had wrapped a Tesla before so I was scared of them pulling parts off my car. lol Since the car was white, you could see some white peaking through at certain angles. It bothered me and my OCD. I'm considering doing it this time, but not sure yet. To save some money, I might wrap the door jambs in satin black (i have several other satin black accents) because it's less expensive and can be replaced easily from the wear and tear of people getting in and out or loading things in and out of the car.

I was thinking more of wrapping the inner doors themselves...not so much the door jambs/pillars as they are covered by rubber seals on the front doors. I guess to may referring to the rear doors and perhaps the trunk spacing?

Definitely don’t want the doors removed!
Bumpers and lights they will as they are easy clips.