Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think "significantly impact" and "valet mode" goes together... ;)

Completely agree. I don't know about most other owners but I very rarely need valet parking and would have no need for a valet mode.

- - - Updated - - -

My bet.... a substantial refresh to the UI on the center console that provides some added functionality to all cars (like valet mode), plus implements the changes necessary to make the upcoming "autopilot" functions accessible. The current system is a bit messy. I wouldn't want to be driving down the road drilling through menus trying activate this or that feature. It may also come with the rumored acceleration bump for all cars.

Auto pilot enhancements do not impact the entire fleet so it probably isn't that.

How about the ability to input the time you're leaving and have car car automatically figure out what time to start charging?

I doubt that's in this update, but if you want that, go to the thread below, and vote in the poll:

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

The first post in the thread has a link to another thread which includes the letter I sent to Tesla asking for exactly that.

Some or all of the below:

1. 4G/LTE retrofittable as necessary (My understanding is that at least some of the radios can support 4G but not LTE).
2. 90 days hotspot-ization - subscriptions thereafter as an option.
3. The aforementioned autopilot features - blind spots, lanekeeping, recognition of red lights and stop signs, safer behavior overall.
4. Valet mode.
5. Announcement of SC site enhancements for driver safety.
6. CPO program launch schedule.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I *did* bring enough crack for everybody** :p.

**This statement may have been vetted by the Williams/Colbert School of Truthiness.

My guess is enhanced trip planning via superchargers. Auto route via SC, and it will be able to show you current SC status and perhaps expected wait times, etc. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was slight UI update.

I would bet one of two items below:
- Faster charging by tapering later, on some conditions met. They must have expected various conditions while charging and have built the safety margins. However if the climate and status of the battery is appropriate it might be possible to taper a bit later to shove 5 minutes off from charging.
- LTE support for all cars. I wildly guess that in 2012 most of available M2M cellular modules were LTE ready and Tesla chose to use 3G to save some cost over operator contracts. Now they might have decided to upgrade the user experience by changing the contract terms with global operators and use LTE.

Just guesses!

Reading this thread made me realise how much of a room for improvement and possibilities there were with the Model S software side that doesn't necessarily require significant hardware updates. They couldn't come quicker, even though I'm not an owner nor am close to being one because of my financials (only 23 y/o tho, so I have time :)) I'm very excited about them. There's so much added value possibilities.

I would bet one of two items below:
- Faster charging by tapering later, on some conditions met. They must have expected various conditions while charging and have built the safety margins. However if the climate and status of the battery is appropriate it might be possible to taper a bit later to shove 5 minutes off from charging.
- LTE support for all cars. I wildly guess that in 2012 most of available M2M cellular modules were LTE ready and Tesla chose to use 3G to save some cost over operator contracts. Now they might have decided to upgrade the user experience by changing the contract terms with global operators and use LTE.

Just guesses!

I think there's a very good bet that will be coming soon, possibly in the form of some kind of module SC's can easily install in the touchscreen.

I think that enhanced Voice Recognition commands, would be able to be added to all existing Tech Equipped Model S cars.
The Voice Recognition would expand into settings and go way beyond entertainment and NAV.
Thus the ability to tell the S to change just about all settings without the need to interact with the display menus.

Perhaps a refreshed UI (User Interface) as well with options for "pinning" and some amount of customization.
Again, this could cover the entire existing fleet of S cars.

Also, for newer S cars with autopilot sensors, the Blind Spot Information System would be a great addition.

Lastly, Torque Sleep (TS) could be implemented to all cars, not just those with dual motors.
TS for a single motor S, when invoked, could remap the accelerator pedal on flat stretches and simply modulate the
power to the single motor and eek out a small percentage of efficiency. Also, I feel that TS should make its presence
known in the central display, perhaps by a different color on the power/regen meter. Today, TS is so well implemented by
Tesla that most P85D owners cannot tell if and when it is at work or should I say.. "sleeping"?

I would love Valet Mode, 4G/LTE (my DS told me that the car is already equipped with hardware for 4G, just a matter of time...perhaps this is it!), and some additional apps / better app-integration for for live-data! So fun speculating, hoping, and wishing...This last few weeks until delivery are going to be excruciating.

Upcoming FW upgrade to "significantly impact" essentially the entire fleet

Require a password to take it OUT of Valet Mode, sure, obviously.
But why should there be a PW to put it IN Valet, slowing the process? Is this how it works on the Roadster?
I can't think of a reason.

Yes in the Roadster you need to enter the cars PIN (which you can define) to put the car into, or take it out of, Valet Mode. I think that is reasonable. I don't want just anybody to be able to put my car into a restricted mode, I want control over that.