Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming FW upgrade to "positively impact" essentially the entire fleet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new browser doesn't move the needle. My guess.. API's, 3rd party apps/SDK, super charger routing and reservation (or at least status/wait times), maybe LTE.

Well the browser is just being floated as one possible change. Whatever it turns out to be it's going to be an assortment of new features. Not just one thing. Plus, it's consistent with what Elon hinted about a year or so ago.

BTW, LTE isn't going to happen. That requires new hardware.

That could be part of it, but it can't be the feature that impacts the "entire fleet" as it would not impact the P85Ds (since they already have it.)

No the P85Ds don't already have it. They already have the current firmware not the coming firmware. The coming firmware could improve range for D and non D alike.

You saying the D already has it would imply there is no room for improvement in the code/firmware at all. I expect they have some low hanging fruit left on that one that they have discovered but required further QC or that they wanted to release fleet wide after the P85D uproar died down (due to a different but also significant optimization).

No the P85Ds don't already have it. They already have the current firmware not the coming firmware. The coming firmware could improve range for D and non D alike.

You saying the D already has it would imply there is no room for improvement in the code/firmware at all. I expect they have some low hanging fruit left on that one that they have discovered but required further QC or that they wanted to release fleet wide after the P85D uproar died down (due to a different but also significant optimization).

I just don't think that with all the issues there have been surrounding P85D range Tesla would be keeping quiet if they had more range improvements possible for the P85D. JB Straubel's blog post at the end of December talked about the P85D having range similar to the P85 after the torque sleep update. If there was even more of a range increase planned for this soon afterwards, I think it would have been talked about then.

I stand by my position / prediction that either range updates are not part of whatever this big software release is next month, or if they are, that they don't apply to the P85Ds, and thus are not the feature that was teased as applying to the entire fleet.

API and/or fully revamped phone apps that can do way more then current apps can.

I don't think they'll enable it to be a hotspot until Tesla stops providing the cell connectivity and the owners start paying for it (whatever year that is coming up).

Real-time supercharger use/status on the nav screen would be awesome.

Tons more improvements to the Energy/Trip screen.

After getting crucified for "over promising and under delivering" for being a few weeks late? Hmmm :-/

It wouldn't have had to have been specific, so there wouldn't have had to have been any promise or missed delivery. It could have been as generic as a simple addition to the statement about the torque sleep software update that was due in January, and was expected to get the P85D's range roughly similar to the P85. The simple addition of, "We expect (or hope) to improve upon this even further in the near future." would have been a simple addition. The fact that there was no such addition is why I am taking the position I am taking.

It wouldn't have had to have been specific, so there wouldn't have had to have been any promise or missed delivery. It could have been as generic as a simple addition to the statement about the torque sleep software update that was due in January, and was expected to get the P85D's range roughly similar to the P85. The simple addition of, "We expect (or hope) to improve upon this even further in the near future." would have been a simple addition. The fact that there was no such addition is why I am taking the position I am taking.

If they said it that way we would have a "when is the near future" thread arguing the rollout schedule yet again. They can't win no matter how they announce it the end users will complain. They did however use phrasing similar to "we will continue to increase efficiency for the Model S". I don't remember if it was on the earnings call or not but I remember it as a post 85D issue statement.

You either didn't hear the statements I did or you interpreted them differently. Either way we'll know when 6.2 arrives.

Updating the browser is laughable - who cares - I couldn't tell you what browser it uses now or the one I'm posting from - they all feel the same to me.

I would like to see tangible stuff like:

Valet / inexperienced driver mode would be cool - Maybe a unique key that is programmable to limit speed etc. (my ford fusion hybrid has this and it works great)
LTE/Hot Spot
an eco mode - that maximizes the software for efficiency by restricting hp/torque etc. If they can do insane mode - they can do eco mode - they would massively extend the range..
Waze option
Black 19 inch turbine rims....
Bringing back the P85 and drop the regular S - for the price of a regular S
License plate behind the nose cone is coooooolll - I would pay extra for that - it makes the car look ugly with the 1920's tech hanging off the chin... where is ARTSCI???
Exterior premium lighting kit - just hire ArtSci and have him do the front and rear of the car at the factory.
An option for integrated iPAD docking stations on the back of both front seats for the kids
A Model S Station Wagon or Estate for Europe
Tesla Charging Stations as the national electrical code standard for autos in North America.
Buying out Car Charging Group Inc (owners of Ecotality's Blink, 350Green and some hardware players) and converting them to Tesla Charging stations.

Ok -- waaaay offf topic -- you said Firmware.....

Last edited:
@Xenoilphobe, I also think it would be great to go beyond the simple idea of a Valet Mode and make it more flexible so that the owner could use it to variably limit the cars top speed and acceleration and range as needed for those with teenage drivers (not my situation personal situation) this would be useful. Call it "Restricted Driving Mode".

Note: 3 of the items on your list are relevant to this topic, which is about the upcoming firmware update. Your other 9 items are not firmware.

an eco mode - that maximizes the software for efficiency by restricting hp/torque etc. If they can do insane mode - they can do eco mode - they would massively extend the range..

There may be a tiny adjustment here that is possible, but in an electric motor, there is only so much that can be done to reduce power consumption. Increasing power consumption while increasing performance is easier.

Just like in an ICE, where they have no problem making them faster and burn more fuel, but making them economical is much more difficult. It takes a certain amount of energy to overcome the forces trying to make the car stand still. I think that if they could have done anything to improve range with a download, it would have been done.

@Xenoilphobe, I also think it would be great to go beyond the simple idea of a Valet Mode and make it more flexible so that the owner could use it to variably limit the cars top speed and acceleration and range as needed for those with teenage drivers (not my situation personal situation) this would be useful. Call it "Restricted Driving Mode".

Note: 3 of the items on your list are relevant to this topic, which is about the upcoming firmware update. Your other 9 items are not firmware.

Updating the browser is laughable - who cares - I couldn't tell you what browser it uses now or the one I'm posting from - they all feel the same to me.

I would like to see tangible stuff like:

Valet / inexperienced driver mode would be cool - Maybe a unique key that is programmable to limit speed etc. (my ford fusion hybrid has this and it works great)
LTE/Hot Spot
Waze option
Black 19 inch turbine rims....
Bringing back the P85 and drop the regular S - for the price of a regular S
License plate behind the nose cone is coooooolll - I would pay extra for that - it makes the car look ugly with the 1920's tech hanging off the chin... where is ARTSCI???
Exterior premium lighting kit - just hire ArtSci and have him do the front and rear of the car at the factory.
An option for integrated iPAD docking stations on the back of both front seats for the kids
A Model S Station Wagon or Estate for Europe
Tesla Charging Stations as the national electrical code standard for autos in North America.
Buying out Car Charging Group Inc (owners of Ecotality's Blink, 350Green and some hardware players) and converting them to Tesla Charging stations.

Ok -- waaaay offf topic -- you said Firmware.....

I like the term 'Safe Mode' versus Valet Mode: Many people would never consider the need for 'valet' but on second thought might like a restriction on acceleration/top speed/warning to your phone if the car is more than 'X' miles away from your phone. This would be very good in a household with an inexperienced (think teenager) driver. While many might say 'Why would you ever let your teenager drive a Tesla', the counterargument is that many would like to have all their family vehicles be EVs. Then consider that the safest car on the road today is the S. Then consider that you might want your wife or teenager to have the largest battery available so they may not need to charge at a remote location at night when driving by themselves. So, given all this you have a 85 pack in any configuration capable of 0-60 in 3-4 seconds. Yes, I would like 'safe mode' and I am well aware this is a 'first world' problem.

While I believe that this will be part of a release 'soon', I realize it is not a significant one for the entire fleet. I would think some type of upgrade involving APPs/connectivity..

If they said it that way we would have a "when is the near future" thread arguing the rollout schedule yet again. They can't win no matter how they announce it the end users will complain. They did however use phrasing similar to "we will continue to increase efficiency for the Model S". I don't remember if it was on the earnings call or not but I remember it as a post 85D issue statement.

You either didn't hear the statements I did or you interpreted them differently. Either way we'll know when 6.2 arrives.

I certainly hope you are correct.

I think we're going to see Nav improvements, among other things. They're due. Now that there's better energy awareness, it can be explicitly integrated into the routing UI. This includes alternate routes, waypoints and arbitrary start point (for trip planning), supercharger routing (taking availability into account, which would be a perfectly doable addition), and user preferences (least energy, least distance, least time). I think these things are all simply waiting on proper UI design. I currently find my P85's chosen route to be rather inexplicable, and sometimes bizarre, and I can't do a variety of things I would like to do. Obviously, over time Tesla will implement pretty much all the EVTripPlanner features that people like.

My model for Tesla on these things is Apple. We won't see a feature from Tesla until they have figured out how to make it excellent, and if it's a catch up feature it will have to be better in some significant way than what the other guys already have. This is why, for example, we haven't seen blind spot monitoring yet -- I think they've been able to do it for a while, but it isn't yet as good as they want it and they won't put it out there until it is.