Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming integrated dashcam feature... How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point of my first post has been confirmed by this pissing contest. Tesla has the hardware and staff to make this great ... But at what cost? How hungry is the PX2 to power if they want visual motion detection? What hardware makes sense to power for this feature set? The stand alone blackvue solution certainly is way more power efficient than turning on the various Tesla modules that were not purpose built just for this purpose.
I’m trying to help save money and sell more Teslas. I firmly believe that Tesla’s dashcam feature could be a selling point that is superior to anything on the market. Efficient or not is up to the owner to use. They provide the tools. Just like the cabin overheating. My only issues NOW is the timeframe and resolution of the cams. Otherwise, 5 years from now with better cams and UI iterations, you won’t want anything else. Although I’m eager to see what’s rolling out in v9, I must temporarily use BlackVue. 2 yrs is worth $700 investment.

Hmm... there’s dash cam in motion (I.e., recording in case of accidents) and there’s stationary dash-cam (I.e., in the case of vandalism or breakins). Perhaps we’ll only get in-motion dash-cam? Or perhaps the ultrasonic sensors are on a separate, lower drain power circuit and activate the recording for parked dash-cam capability?

Shrug - we will see....

I'd love stationary recording on a 24 hour loop. It would pretty much end all crime since cops could use parked teslas for potential video

I'd love stationary recording on a 24 hour loop. It would pretty much end all crime since cops could use parked teslas for potential video
This is easy for Tesla. Question is would you wanna waste that battery? Motion or stationary will drain a lot for sure but this is where as the owner, let me choose. But understand, Tesla is concern with Range to sell cars and dashcam sucking 20-30 miles range per day isn’t good to say. More reasons why I think we’re 5 yrs away. They can easily do it but is it wise?

• Disagree
Reactions: csshih
Y’all can thank me for this. I installed my dash cam today since I gave up waiting for this feature. I was convinced that dashcam on the Model 3 would be announced the day I installed mine. Sometimes I hate being right.

I bet your solution still beats Tesla’s for channels you have setup.

The “beta” software if free will never be as good as those devoted to make a living off it.

With ther said I would love the Tesla solution to be paid so there is a dedicated department with its own cost center.

Blackvue won’t take it lying down for sure. Competition is good.

Was just about to post the tweet. They’re more serious on it than I anticipated. Only thing is 720p but all else will be impeccable. Computer vision can do just about anything. Hope it’s not a huge battery drain. Just being able to notify of events and view live cams are huge! All the dots can easily be connected.

Question is would you wanna waste that battery? Motion or stationary will drain a lot for sure but this is where as the owner, let me choose. But understand, Tesla is concern with Range to sell cars and dashcam sucking 20-30 miles range per day isn’t good to say. More reasons why I think we’re 5 yrs away. They can easily do it but is it wise?

I would like to note that the Blackvue DR900S-2CH which records in 4K (front) and 1080p (back), which is equivalent to 5 1080p streams, and 20 720P streams, consumes approximately 5W. at 241 watt hours per mile, that's about 1 mile every two days.

20-30 miles range per day? that's hilarious. 4.8kwh- 7.23kWH? this aint a 250W dashcam.

As long as no image processing is needed, the Tesla should be able to record up to 8 camera feeds in 720p color. However, keep in mind that current AP hardware can only “process” camera images (i.e., to detect motion in video) at a maximum of 200 frames per second (i.e., 3 cameras at 60 FPS) in black and white, and uses considerably more power than your typical dash cam. All cameras are connected directly to the AP hardware, and it is not clear whether the Tesla can record from the cameras without running the power-hungry nVidia GPUs (around 120W?).

Last edited:
I would like to note that the Blackvue DR900S-2CH which records in 4K (front) and 1080p (back), which is equivalent to 5 1080p streams, and 20 720P streams, consumes approximately 5W. at 241 watt hours per mile, that's about 1 mile every two days.

20-30 miles range per day? that's hilarious. 4.8kwh- 7.23kWH? this aint a 250W dashcam.
I was using the cabin overheating as an example which drains like 10 miles a day for me. But glad you did that math though prob need to factor in LTE remote access and computer vision processes running. I’ll be happy if it’s less than the cabin overheating!

As long as no image processing is needed, the Tesla should be able to record up to 8 camera feeds in 720p color. However, keep in mind that current AP hardware can only “process” camera images (i.e., to detect motion in video) at a maximum of 200 frames per second (i.e., 3 cameras at 60 FPS) in black and white, and uses considerably more power than your typical dash cam. All cameras are connected directly to the AP hardware, and it is not clear whether the Tesla can record from the cameras without running the power-hungry nVidia GPUs (around 120W?).
Precisely my point about the processing battery drain.

Why does AP not care about color? Surely, for self driving, the ability to differentiate green, yellow, and red is a must.

AP doesn't care about stoplights- that's FSD. It cares about lanes and things on the road.

It uses B/W because it's faster to process the images that way.

Notice that FSD is now going to require a faster computer? Likely fast enough to process all 8 cameras images in color.