Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 17.18.25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peteybabes

redneck drivin' a tesla...
Apr 8, 2016
'murica
I'm on AP1 so I may be getting this sooner than AP2 cars?

some improvements that I've noticed are:

1. It locks on to cars much further down the road now, (looks like a small blue dot on the screen), I noticed this yesterday when I was driving down a road damaged by winter weather and most of the lines were gone...It was tracking a car that was at least 200' in front of me! :)

2. It seems to be "looking" further down the road in general as I drive in AP with my distance set to 1 car length and it seems to start slowing down much sooner now rather than racing up on stopped cars when at a stoplight or traffic.

3. It does much better on badly marked roads or roads with no lane markings even when there's no car for it to lock on to, doing better noticing curbs and seems to be using GPS/Maps/Camera combined to take me down the road. (I will have to post a video tomorrow when I go back down this road, which isn't all the way straight!)

You can see below that there are no road lines shown and it's not locked on the car in front of me, (the car would be blue if it was locked in), but doing a fantastic job keeping me going down the road.
20170516_093851.jpg

....'Making it up as it goes along'...

It looks like the system can remain functioning as long as there's a lead car even when it cannot detect lane markings.

The problem might be that the road is not straight and what the car see ahead is after the lead car straighten out after a curve!

May be the system uses High Definition Map to know when the road is straight and when it is curve?

It looks like the system can remain functioning as long as there's a lead car even when it cannot detect lane markings.

The problem might be that the road is not straight and what the car see ahead is after the lead car straighten out after a curve!

May be the system uses High Definition Map to know when the road is straight and when it is curve?
But I thought you said it wasn't detecting the 'lead car'? That was my point... no lines and no 'locked on to car in front'. It definitely works when it is 'following' someone. (Even in AP2.0, that was demo'd recently.)

But I thought you said it wasn't detecting the 'lead car'? That was my point... no lines and no 'locked on to car in front'. It definitely works when it is 'following' someone. (Even in AP2.0, that was demo'd recently.)

correct. normally when the car in front of me is acting as a "lead" car it is blue on the screen but in this case it's gray...

..."lead" car it is blue on the screen but in this case it's gray...

Did Tesla just changed the lead car icon's color recently?

I've just got my AP2 for the past one and a half months and over 2,000 miles but I don't remember a lead car icon would change from grey to blue ever.

Such as stop-and-go traffic .

Approaching a lead car and it remained gray without changing to blue even when the speed of the car was tracking the lead car's speed very closely after the traffic lights.

and so on...

Last edited:
Maybe it is locked on the vehicle in front, but it's so small it looks "gray" when in fact it's blue. Perhaps the console doesn't have the depth to properly display the blue car.

Just a thought.

this is actually not the case, and i will try to get a picture when i head home in a few minutes. yesterday i had a "tiny blue" car that on the screen...(the one that was 200' in front of me)

OK, here are some results from my trip home today plus some other fun stuff.

these first 2 images are showing a badly marked 5 lane road and it tracking beautifully...
ap-1.jpg
ap-2.jpg

This next image is kind of hard to tell what's happening, but in this case there is a green arrow and the lead car that i'm locked into starts going around the corner and my car follows!! about half way around the corner the red hands of death show up and i took over, has anybody else's cars followed a lead car around the corner or even tried to??

ap-4turn.jpg

these last two photos show the "tiny blue" car that i mentioned earlier with cars distance ranging from 75 feet in front of me to (as you can see in the second picture) over 150 feet ahead of me!

ap-3.jpg
ap-5.jpg

On AP2, I have noticed the corresponding lead car colors:
  • Light grey - Sees car ahead and not locked on for TACC or auto steer
  • White - TACC locked without auto steer
  • Blue - TACC and auto steer locked
Just my observations

FWIW, I have never, ever seen AP2 paint a lead car blue, not even when auto-steer locked. It does paint it white, though, for TACC.