Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update 2023.20.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get this update yet?
I just did today, and now have lost the ability to make phone calls through Bluetooth. I just get an error message saying the phone is not connected... though, in a strange twist, it still works as a key.

This was supposed to be a "bug fix" update, and like most updates, created a larger bug than what it was designed to fix

I am SO sick of this sh** with Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: GalacticHero
Anyone ender get this update yet?
I just did today, and now have lost the ability to make phone calls through Bluetooth. I just get an error message saying the phone is not connected... though, in a strange twist, it still works as a key.

This was supposed to be a "bug fix" update, and like most updates, created a larger bug than what it was designed to fix

I am SO sick of this sh** with Tesla.
Have you done a system reboot? Tried disconnecting and reconnecting the phone?

I am on 2023.26.1 now, and I did not notice any phone connectivity issues so far. I plan to give it a try on my drive this morning.

I did the scroll button reboot twice.
The car says the phone is paired. I'm afraid to Uninstall the phone, fearing I won't be able to get it to work as a key any longer.

I'll be driving the iD4 for a couple days. I'm just so sick of this constantly happening with the Tesla. One stumbling step forward, three steps back. Always.

May be time to trade it on the VW bus.

The car says the phone is paired. I'm afraid to Uninstall the phone, fearing I won't be able to get it to work as a key any longer.
Uninstalling the phone from Bluetooth will have no impact on its key function. I've had to uninstall my phone several times this past week trying to get it to connect as a phone. The key worked even with it uninstalled.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Just tested mine. No interruption of my phone in 2023.20.9 or 2023.26.1. iPhone 14 Pro.

In my life experience with car Bluetooth, I have had far more problems with phones than cars. Apple is particularly bad - they have broken Bluetooth many times over the years.

Wow, strange they moved you to 20.9
They moved my 2 Ts 20.8 to 26.1
No blue tooth issues ever in 9 months

In my past Jeep Wrangler, terrible BT experience thst never got better

BT SIG industry group sets rhe spec and they are at version 5.4, after 5.3 both being just tweaks. The last major update was 5.2 in 2019 four years ago. Tesla sees they are hostage to BT and thus plannimg to use Apple Airplay instead. Think BT is just a side gig for rhe SIG group.

Airplay will be an amazing alternative when it arrives

Reactions: E90alex
I did the scroll button reboot twice.

I'll be driving the iD4 for a couple days. I'm just so sick of this constantly happening with the Tesla. One stumbling step forward, three steps back. Always.

May be time to trade it on the VW bus.
A new order for the iD VW bus might not be deliverable before the MY battery warranty expires

Uninstalling the phone from Bluetooth will have no impact on its key function. I've had to uninstall my phone several times this past week trying to get it to connect as a phone. The key worked even with it uninstalled.
There are actually two separate BT connections to the car. One for phone key (you don’t see this listed, but the Tesla app uses it) and the other for phone (calls, media, etc).

Wow, strange they moved you to 20.9
They moved my 2 Ts 20.8 to 26.1
No blue tooth issues ever in 9 months

In my past Jeep Wrangler, terrible BT experience thst never got better

BT SIG industry group sets rhe spec and they are at version 5.4, after 5.3 both being just tweaks. The last major update was 5.2 in 2019 four years ago. Tesla sees they are hostage to BT and thus plannimg to use Apple Airplay instead. Think BT is just a side gig for rhe SIG group.

Airplay will be an amazing alternative when it arrives
And so what if it isn’t updated every other week? Why does it need to?

Last I check, Tesla is implementing Airplay for media streaming… cause that’s what it’s for. It won’t help with making phone calls or being used as phonekeys. CarPlay can handle phone calls, etc. But that’s not being implemented and it still relies on BT.

Last edited:
There are actually two separate BT connections to the car. One for phone key (you don’t see this listed, but the Tesla app uses it) and the other for phone (calls, media, etc).

And so what if it isn’t updated every other week? Why does it need to?

Last I check, Tesla is implementing Airplay for media streaming… cause that’s what it’s for. It won’t help with making phone calls or being used as phonekeys. CarPlay can handle phone calls, etc. But that’s not being implemented and it still relies on BT.
Thanks, forgot about phone calls

I think the 20.9 update is for people on FSD.
Which is weird since it seems like they were starting to merge the two software streams. People that have long had FSD are on 2023.7.X and they added FSD to the main software branch 2023.20.X for new FSD enrollees.

Now there’s THREE software branches. 2023.26.X for non FSD. 2023.20.X for newer FSD enrollees but with older FSD beta 11.3.6. Then still have 2023.7.X for older FSD enrollees which actually has a newer FSD beta version 11.4.X

Crazy but until merge makes sense
2023.26.X -Non FSD
2020.20.X-FSD
2023.7.X-FADb
How will this ever change? Maybe
-switchable, non FSD and FSD
-FSDb
“FSD” is included on all firmwares, it’s just EAP with stop sign and traffic light control. No special software version required for that.

When people talk about FSD they typically mean FSD beta. 2023.20.X includes FSD beta 11.3.6

So it’s more like
2023.26.X - no FSD beta
2023.20.X - older more stable FSD beta
2023.7.X - very latest FSD beta

2023.20.9 just popped up - not installed yet.
Car has never had FSD.

Have been having an annoying issue this week where the phone 'unlock' for the car hasnt been working well - but in coincided with a Samsung phone update - so likely a Samsung caused error.
Wife's Samsung phone still working flawlessly.