Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Drought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the same boat, However I am not concerned with new updates as most of the features are not applicable for my 2017/MCU1/AP3 car. I am to fine to get an update when there is meaningful features for my hardware that does not reduce its life or till it improves UI performance.
I don't even want new features. Just fix the bugs, optimize what we have and like cut out the logging.

You can't have a setup like that without the payoff! What was the issue?

As it were, I am a fellow "unique issue" car, and my failure prompted an engineering design change.
Well, since you asked — from my invoice:
Car will not turn on and charge cable will not release. When this first happened
he had a charge port alert. Customer states he had pulled fuses to try to reset
car. This happened around midday Saturday 03/23/19.

Performed diagnosis on vehicle systems controller area network. Found
corroded wire which was creating communication failure between the battery
management system and the charge port with the rest of the vehicle.
Performed wiring repair. Found vehicle charges, drives without any further
alerts after repair.

Correction: HV Battery Assembly General Diagnosis
In addition to this repair they replaced the charge port at no cost because of cosmetic damage caused by the service.

I was told by service that it took them nine hours of time to figure out the problem; they comped me for all but one hour. As I said earlier, they also picked up the cost of my rental car so that I could drive over the mountains to pick up my car. All this for a car out of warranty. Since my car went in right at the end of the quarter, during the quarterly sale push, they weren't able to get to it for a few days (neighbors helped me go shopping and get around, that's what we do out in the sticks). However, the service center got right on it on April 1st, the first day of the new quarter, and had the car ready for me by the end of the day. I drove over the mountains to pick it up the next day, camped the night with my repaired car, and drove home the following day.

This is why I try not to get involved in ragging on Tesla Service — they have treated me well, for the most part, and this particular service center gets slammed here at TMC by some. I did have one screw-up where the service center forgot to tighten the lug nuts on a wheel. I found it more a thousand miles later and took my car back to the service center, on the advice of mobile service, to be sure that nothing had been damaged. All checked out ok.

I've had more service issues than the average Tesla owner, based on feedback at TMC, but I'm happy with the car, which I purchased used (CPO, back when that meant something). Since I can't afford a new one, I plan to keep, and repair, my current car as long as I can.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Same here. 2020.36.11
MS 2017 MCU1/HW3.0

so basically that’s it? We got what we got? I mean when I bought the vehicle it said “FSD capable”, that could mean a lot of things. Capable if you have this and that (MCU2) If that’s the case, why won’t they just tell us? I mean I have no problem upgrading to MCU2 but mine works just fine...

Personally I like the new TuneIn and look forward to the improved Spotify.
Agreed updates can bring their share of issues at times, or take many iteration for a feature to work, but yeah... getting impatient to get that.

@kindred7, I saw your post in the preventive eMMC replacement thread. You proactively replaced/had your eMMC replaced? Who did it? Not getting updates sounds like your car is not validating against the Tesla server. It sounds like your car's security certificates don't match between the MCU1 and the IC.
Hey there, thanks for reaching out. Mine was working for 6 months without issue actually. It stopped working without cause. The SC said that the eMMC type did not match. Weird right. Anyway, I had it replaced formally. I have never seen anyone else get blocked in this manner.

I've not seen any report of Tesla purposely blocking a car for any reason. There's a report about 18+ months ago of an owner in Europe that had his failed eMMC replaced. His eMMC was badly damaged and the guys that worked on his eMMC could not get his certs off the old eMMC to put on the new one. So he took his car to a Tesla SC and they said policy prevented them from giving him the certs or putting them on his car. Whoa.. Here's I found the content from his post. - I often save this stuff for use later - like now.

Original EU related posts. Post #230
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/consolidated-emmc-thread-mcu-rep...
steinegr, Mar 10, 2020
My MCU died a while ago. I was not able to retrieve my car keys from eMMC. Yesterday, after some month of arguing with Tesla, I had my car keys restored by Tesla SeC in Austria. Here's the story:

I had user LuckyLuke put in a new eMMC in my MCU and restore it to factory mode. In December 2019 Tesla SeC in Austria tried to get the files needed to restore the car keys. But "Engineering" refused to provide the data. Third party repairs are not supported, they told me. I asked if they would provide the files to me or an independent repair shop. No, was the answer.

The latter is not compatible with EU competition rules. "Vehicle manufacturers are in principle required to release technical information, for which they are the only source, to independent operators." Detailed here on page 9 (bottom) and 10:
https://ec.europa.eu/competition/sectors/motor_vehicles/legislation/mv_f...

It took some arguing and threatening of involving the Austrian Competition Authority, but in the end they got the US approval to restore my car keys, once I had signed a "Authorization and Release from Liability for Modified Service" form. This is not an official procedure (for now). But at least for all EU citizens there is hope this might change in the future.