Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update failed to apply - Aug 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do NOT UPDATE! I tried 5 times to get the newest update and after several phone calls with Tesla they tried to force it to my car. After the last time, I received several error messages saying things aren’t working and one important one telling me the car is not drivable. Had to call a tow truck to come out and take it to a SC. While trying to get my X out of my garage in town mode the car completely lost all power and was dead. SC still doesn’t know what’s wrong with the vehicle.

Do NOT UPDATE! I tried 5 times to get the newest update and after several phone calls with Tesla they tried to force it to my car. After the last time, I received several error messages saying things aren’t working and one important one telling me the car is not drivable. Had to call a tow truck to come out and take it to a SC. While trying to get my X out of my garage in town mode the car completely lost all power and was dead. SC still doesn’t know what’s wrong with the vehicle.
Is that the 25 7

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 160
Same error here. Says software update required. I made an appointment- nothing available until Sept 6. Car Wash mode seems to work but I no longer can use FSD.
They will reach out in a couple of days to ask you more details about the problem. When they do, just ask if the update can be pushed again. In my case, they reached out on the app within a day or two, thenI think it was another few days days until a tech called me on the phone, told me he logged into the car, saw that the autopilot failed to update, and re-sent an update patch just for the autopilot. As we were talking, I saw the update notification on my phone, and installed it. While it was installing he said once it finished to go drive it and see if things were working again and he would call back to check. Sure enough they were working and he did call me later that day to check.

Bad 12V battery is most likely cause of update fail and your "lost all power and was dead" experience.

Reactions: C-Bus Y
What do you mean you're not sure what to do? Schedule service in the app. There's a whole category of service called "software update" and everything
I don't know if it's still like this, but if the app can't talk with the car, you don't have the ability to schedule service. We had to use our second Tesla's service menu to get them out for a 12V battery replacement on our then-two year old M3.

Which is limited to earlier MS and MX vehicles. I'm not aware of any memory-related issues in the M3 or MY. You?

nope. My 2020 LR+ (Raven) also had a failed SD card. This is the one in the MCU2 that’s used for map storage etc. Not the Teslacam storage.

Something is up with this firmware. Too many sudden SD card failures to be a coincidence.
I suspect it’s not so much a failure but some sort of corruption, and replacing the SD card is the faster, cheaper and more reliable fix.