Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if the owners with the yellow borders (including myself) is random or if there is some correlation as to how we were using the screens (e.g always in night mode, full brightness, screen protector, rear camera always on, etc). Besides this forum, the other tesla owners I know (x and s) don’t have this issue.

Curious if the owners with the yellow borders (including myself) is random or if there is some correlation as to how we were using the screens (e.g always in night mode, full brightness, screen protector, rear camera always on, etc). Besides this forum, the other tesla owners I know (x and s) don’t have this issue.

Normal usage, here. No screen protector, auto day/night, auto brightness, rear camera only in reverse. My yellow border is faint. I'm on my second display (first replacement).

The yellowing doesn't bother me. No one else seems to notice unless I point it out to them. I don't mind waiting for a fix. No point in pushing (or paying) for a replacement screen that will eventually pee itself again.

Normal usage, here. No screen protector, auto day/night, auto brightness, rear camera only in reverse. My yellow border is faint. I'm on my second display (first replacement).

The yellowing doesn't bother me. No one else seems to notice unless I point it out to them. I don't mind waiting for a fix. No point in pushing (or paying) for a replacement screen that will eventually pee itself again.

If it didn't bother you, why did you bother getting it replaced?

If it didn't bother you, why did you bother getting it replaced?

The replacement was more than a year ago. The yellowing of the original display was stronger than my current screen. It did bother me back then. I also assumed the replacement display would not have issues.

I should have said "I've learned to not let it bother me, because I can't do anything about it until Tesla comes up with a permanent fix."

Last edited:
The replacement was more than a year ago. The yellowing of the original display was stronger than my current screen. It did bother me back then. I also assumed the replacement display would not have issues.

I should have said "I've learned to not let it bother me, because I can't do anything about it until Tesla comes up with a permanent fix."

Got it, that makes a little more sense. It's a new issue for me, so its got me irritated, but I'll probably have to fall in line with your thinking eventually.

The writing on the wall seems to be don't replace as long term fix. Tesla memo to save money. And a software"fix" is laughable. Just wait out warranty period so Tesla is not on the hook is my view where this is going.

I just hope this not what I perceived.

I have the same problem in my 2018 Model X. First noticed the yellowing around the main screen in Feb, got worse so made an appointment in May. They texted me they cannot replace the screen as they are working on a fix: "it has been determined that this general appearance issue is not covered by the warranty and can be fixed by our upcoming procedure of reviving the display." Called up the service center and spoke with the manager. He told me Tesla is working on a process/device to "revive" the display using UV light. He confirmed that it is not a software fix, and they do not have a firm date as to when it will be available. Also told me the issue comes back even if you replace the screen. I am fine with waiting if this fix will resolve the problem completely. If not, I expect the screen to be replaced with a good one under warranty. I understand they are trying to cut costs, but they should simply go back to whoever supplied them with these crappy screens and ask for replacements/refunds. My 2015 Model S screen works beautifully, no issues there. The Model X screen has deeper blacks, better contrast but bad quality.

I have the same problem in my 2018 Model X. First noticed the yellowing around the main screen in Feb, got worse so made an appointment in May. They texted me they cannot replace the screen as they are working on a fix: "it has been determined that this general appearance issue is not covered by the warranty and can be fixed by our upcoming procedure of reviving the display." Called up the service center and spoke with the manager. He told me Tesla is working on a process/device to "revive" the display using UV light. He confirmed that it is not a software fix, and they do not have a firm date as to when it will be available. Also told me the issue comes back even if you replace the screen. I am fine with waiting if this fix will resolve the problem completely. If not, I expect the screen to be replaced with a good one under warranty. I understand they are trying to cut costs, but they should simply go back to whoever supplied them with these crappy screens and ask for replacements/refunds. My 2015 Model S screen works beautifully, no issues there. The Model X screen has deeper blacks, better contrast but bad quality.
I read on another thread that this is a Tesla problem as Musk used a home PC display and not automotive grade. So the heat will not be their supplier issue if true. Musk must know he is responsible for the bill. Otherwise, Musk would have sue already as he had done to other suppliers in the past.

This is what I got from the. Virtual Service Team. Taking the X in this Tuesday for multiple small items. This being one of them.
- Tesla is currently working on a fix for your yellowing screen concern. Hopefully this will be released within the next few months.

I read on another thread that this is a Tesla problem as Musk used a home PC display and not automotive grade. So the heat will not be their supplier issue if true. Musk must know he is responsible for the bill. Otherwise, Musk would have sue already as he had done to other suppliers in the past.
Actually it is rated for industry but no automotive, which is harder.

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

Theee questions from a non Tesla owner.

1. Is it just around the perimeter of the screen? Does it show up on a picture? Having a hard time visualizing this.

2. Does it affect 100 percent of Tesla’s?

3. Does it impede the readability of the screen?

Mine has not developed yellow border syndrome ( YBS ) yet but after watching a youtube video of a screen replacement I will not be in any rush to get it replaced if it does. In my experience the less " repair " work is done on a car the better; trim getting scratched or not fitting properly after being removed and replaced, broken clips that don't get replaced, and new rattles can and do happen. It seems from what I have read that the current replacement screen will also yellow so why replace it whether it is covered under warranty or even worse as customer pay. I remember when people said that remedying engine/transmission and HVAC problems with software/firmware was impossible but in many cases manufactures were able to do just that so Tesla solving this problem with a non-invasive fix seems doable to me. Failing that waiting for replacement until a screen that won't yellow is available makes more sense to me. Having said all that if Tesla decides to do nothing there will be a class action lawsuit - they really have no choice but to solve this problem.