Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started seeing yellow about a month ago. No protector, auto-brightness, regular user. NY, not hot, garaged. MX100D Aug18 Build. I remember seeing last fall threads about this issue, and figured that Tesla would eventually just source better screens and if mine developed they'd replace. A couple weeks ago yellow got very strong (clear banding on border) so I scheduled a service visit for that and a bubble on the inside door handle (saw after delivery but waited until I had something else to take it in for). The response via text below. I'll wait a bit, but will start pushing if I don't hear of any solutions for others by mid-summer. To me this is clearly a warranty issue - no way are they pushing me over and saying that it doesn't affect usage. I'm not convinced that a "tooling process" to heal the screen is going to cut it.

Text on 6/7/19
TESLA - Hello, I am reaching out to you from the Tesla Virtual service team. We have received your open concern in regards to your yellowing touchscreen and ask that you bear with us while we await the arrival of new tooling. This tooling will allow the touchscreen to undergo a healing process, removing the yellow hue you are experiencing. In the meantime, we will address any and all additional concerns that you are currently experiencing. Have a great day!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I finally decided to schedule a service appointment to have this taken care of in my X. Even if they deferred it I’d at least be in the system as having the issue reported. Here’s the reply via SMS:

Hi *****, this is the Tesla Service Team. We know of the issue with the yellowing on the touchscreen. We are waiting for a tool to be released to service that will correct the issue. It will be within the next couple of months. We will cancel this appointment, and you will be contacted once we are able to perform the repair. Sorry for this inconvenience.

Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...

Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...

Congrats...assuming the new screen won't also be defective.

Can you go into a little more detail on how you initiated this formal dispute? You mentioned Tesla's third party arbitration program, is this different from NCDS avenue?

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Yes - NCDS in my case as well.

They only took a few days to write back a decision in my favor.

Appreciate the info.

The border on my screen isn't as bad as I've seen on others, so I'm just trying to balance when exactly to push the issue. I'd like to be patient until I can be confident the screen replacements will not also be defective, but if it gets worse, I might just have roll the dice with whatever they have now.

Appreciate the info.

The border on my screen isn't as bad as I've seen on others, so I'm just trying to balance when exactly to push the issue. I'd like to be patient until I can be confident the screen replacements will not also be defective, but if it gets worse, I might just have roll the dice with whatever they have now.

In my case the discoloration progressed over time. Not sure how bad it would have gotten. Attached a photo of current state.

If you take this to Carmax or similar - it's the first thing an appraiser would notice when trying to value your car. My guess is they would call your display broken and knock off value. No one is going to pay full price on any vehicle afflicted with this.

The display is clearly no longer working as designed. It can no longer render white and other colors around the edges properly. If your bumper falls off - is that cosmetic too? I mean the steal beam is still there to protect you! ( says Tesla lawyer ... ) This is not normal wear and tear and certainly not a cosmetic issue. My engineering mind would guess it's UV light or heat reacting to a sealant or glue between the touch and display layers of the display. ( Maybe they switched to Elmer's glue on newer revisions? ) It would be impossible to separate and fix without breaking the screen. So I call BS on their firmware fix that will probably just use a darker background around the border.

Also note my 100D Model X only has 9000 miles on it. It probably started at 8000 or earlier. I also keep it garaged... kind of ridiculous they tried to deny warranty to save a buck.

Attachments

• 20190609_180050.jpg
    20190609_180050.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 318

I was waiting to speak with a lawyer first to see if NCDS is the best first step, but it sounds like it is. Thanks for sharing!

Btw, if they are rolling out the fix now, they should be able to use that fix within 30 days, or did the guy admit that was not possible (therefore he lied about the rollout in progress, or my "in progress" he meant they are starting to think about how to fix it).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: neroden
In my case the discoloration progressed over time. Not sure how bad it would have gotten. Attached a photo of current state.

If you take this to Carmax or similar - it's the first thing an appraiser would notice when trying to value your car. My guess is they would call your display broken and knock off value. No one is going to pay full price on any vehicle afflicted with this.

The display is clearly no longer working as designed. It can no longer render white and other colors around the edges properly. If your bumper falls off - is that cosmetic too? I mean the steal beam is still there to protect you! ( says Tesla lawyer ... ) This is not normal wear and tear and certainly not a cosmetic issue. My engineering mind would guess it's UV light or heat reacting to a sealant or glue between the touch and display layers of the display. ( Maybe they switched to Elmer's glue on newer revisions? ) It would be impossible to separate and fix without breaking the screen. So I call BS on their firmware fix that will probably just use a darker background around the border.

Also note my 100D Model X only has 9000 miles on it. It probably started at 8000 or earlier. I also keep it garaged... kind of ridiculous they tried to deny warranty to save a buck.
Thanks for sharing! I’m assuming you submitted pictures prior to the phone hearing?

Appreciate the info.

My ICD is also showing the same defect. Not as noticeable because the edge of that display is rarely illuminated, but it is definitely there.

When to reboot after my software update and noticed it on mine for the first time... Can't say that it literally just "showed up" today but now that I see it, I can't unsee it...

I'll keep watching this thread, and the others, before I complain to Tesla... Don't really want/need the drama arguing with service to get it replaced right now... That and every time my car goes in it comes out with new scratches so god only knows what they'll screw up trying to replace it.

Jeff

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
When to reboot after my software update and noticed it on mine for the first time... Can't say that it literally just "showed up" today but now that I see it, I can't unsee it...

I'll keep watching this thread, and the others, before I complain to Tesla... Don't really want/need the drama arguing with service to get it replaced right now... That and every time my car goes in it comes out with new scratches so god only knows what they'll screw up trying to replace it.

Jeff

If you switch to night mode permanently it will be much less visible.

Mine is quite visible in day mode but almost gone in night mode.

I want to get a new screen also, but I'm worried that the yellowing will be even worse. Can't be worse, right?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I’m going to wait till the hw3 available to install into my x. Then I will ask them to either repair or replace my yellow screen. I figure a year away.

This is my plan also. I didn't know mine already had the yellow border issue when I bought it, since I bought it at night and night mode hides it pretty well... I found out after purchase that the original owner paid for FSD so I'm trying to wait until the hw3 upgrade as well....