Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update from Tesla service on screen yellowing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the part numbers for the various screens? I just had mine replaced due to the bubbling (assumed goo ooze - for lack of technical terms) with part number SX-MCU SUB-ASY, SHIP. OGS DSPLY(1084333-00-A). Is this the model that has the yellowing problem?

Interesting that your replacement screen was an A-suffix.. my screen was recently replaced with a C-suffix part number.

upload_2019-6-27_21-8-29.png

Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...
Who was your arbitrator? We went through arbitration for this on Monday as well. Lawyer on Tesla side was the same person. Still awaiting hearing back from NCDS

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Yep....heat, heat shock resistance is one design spec...another important spec is vibration and shock. There is a pretty detailed mil-spec that's used for displays in military products.....and the vibe and shock requirements and testing are pretty intense. Yeah...these are cars...but designing/testing for vibe and shock are still very important. From the spec sheet...it seems that vibe/shock test criteria seems lacking to me....but it looks good for static display use.

Please elaborate and explain your reasoning...
It's not the display that's going bad. The lamination between the display and the touch sensor is yellowing. Not only that, but it's not in response to heat. People are getting brand new displays out of cardboard boxes that have yellowing, and people have cars that have never been exposed to high temperatures getting yellowing.

Not to mention even the supposed low-spec panel has a temp rating that would burn anyone trying to touch it.

Author of the article is just taking any opportunity to take shots against Tesla. It's f****** amazing that they have to invent s*** to do that when some of what Tesla is doing is awful already - like not honoring warranties.

It's not the display that's going bad. The lamination between the display and the touch sensor is yellowing. Not only that, but it's not in response to heat. People are getting brand new displays out of cardboard boxes that have yellowing, and people have cars that have never been exposed to high temperatures getting yellowing.

Not to mention even the supposed low-spec panel has a temp rating that would burn anyone trying to touch it.

Author of the article is just taking any opportunity to take shots against Tesla. It's f****** amazing that they have to invent s*** to do that when some of what Tesla is doing is awful already - like not honoring warranties.
Isn’t touch sensor part of the display?

No, which should be you primary bulls*** check against that article. The Innolux panel is not having a defect here.

Near as I can guess, Tesla moved the lamination process between the touch sensor and the display in house, so they have no vendor to fall back on for warranty reimbursements.
ok. As a layman I thought that touch sensor is integrated to display.

As has been indirectly pointed out earlier in this thread, the author of that article is the same person who started the "Tesla Death Watch" web site, and and filed dozens of fraudulent reports with the NHTSA claiming problems with the suspension in Tesla vehicles, none of which he had personal experience with (he reported claims of failures based upon photos found on the Internet of Tesla vehicles that had been in accidents). This polluted the well by falsely populating the NHTSA database with many reports so make Tesla look like it had lots of problems, while the reality is that nearly all of them came from this one person.

• Disagree
Reactions: dhanson865
Hey all - I just disputed this with Tesla's third party arbitration program. I just opted to do it over a phone hearing at home. They ruled in my favor! They were given 30 days to fix it with no delay. Amusing since they had me argue against their managing council of product liability. hahaha. ( Ryan McCarthy with Tesla ) He tried to pull a stunt and lie - claiming they were rolling out a healing fix currently. He also tried to claim it was only visible when the car was off, not when in use. Stupid arguments but be careful of the slick corporate attorney. ( of course when I called Tesla Service later, curious about their fix they are currently rolling out - they said they were months away from a "firmware fix." )

I called the service center to have it replaced today - they of course interrupted me and went on for a minute about how they have a firmware fix coming in a few months and it is a cosmetic issue - blah blah

Felt good telling her they are forced to replace it after she was done blabbing! They're ordering my screen and scheduled an appointment for replacement.

Glad I don't have to sue them ... ;) This is a cosmetic issue? You're going to fix it with firmware? Can you repaint my car with a firmware fix too? Give me a break ...

Wow! Congrats! I just started this process today, can you provide me with the evidence you used to win you case? Pics, articles, etc?

Thanks@

Those that had a replacement and saw the same issue, do you know which version of the screen you have installed? Tesla's own denied warranty statement claims there is a new version that does not exhibit the same problem. It could be an older statement that hasn't been updated, but I'm curious if someone has actually tracked the versions and knows 100% that all of them exhibit this issue. It certainly seems like some vehicles don't seem to have the issue at all. This would definitely impact my decision to push for a replacement or not.

I'm happy to hear that arbitration is working as it should. As a real fan of this company I hope we can push Tesla to be better. In my opinion, this was never an appropriate response and definitely want to see them held accountable to that.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
As has been indirectly pointed out earlier in this thread, the author of that article is the same person who started the "Tesla Death Watch" web site, and and filed dozens of fraudulent reports with the NHTSA claiming problems with the suspension in Tesla vehicles, none of which he had personal experience with (he reported claims of failures based upon photos found on the Internet of Tesla vehicles that had been in accidents). This polluted the well by falsely populating the NHTSA database with many reports so make Tesla look like it had lots of problems, while the reality is that nearly all of them came from this one person.

You are half right. Niedermeyer did do the deathwatch series. He did not do the false filing of NHTSA complaints.

The NHTSA thing was a screwball who uses multiple aliases all roughly in the form of "Keef Wivaneff" real name of "Keef Leech" who loves the term "whompy wheels".

You may have gotten confused because Niedermeyer and Schmidt regularly write negative articles about Tesla and Niedermeyer was mentioned in the "grain of salt" blog post. A Grain of Salt

But other than the negative tone and the fact that Niedermeyer took the NHTSA complaints and ran with them (creating an article to highlight the supposed issue) there is no documented link between Keef Leech and Edward Niedermeyer that I've seen.

edit: I just found this tweet and had to share

Mark B. Spiegel on Twitter

Keef Wivaneff ("Mr. Whompy Wheels") has apparently been banned for life from Twitter

Last edited:
You are half right. Niedermeyer did do the deathwatch series. He did not do the false filing of NHTSA complaints.

The NHTSA thing was a screwball who uses multiple aliases all roughly in the form of "Keef Wivaneff" real name of "Keef Leech" who loves the term "whompy wheels".

You may have gotten confused because Niedermeyer and Schmidt regularly write negative articles about Tesla and Niedermeyer was mentioned in the "grain of salt" blog post. A Grain of Salt

But other than the negative tone and the fact that Niedermeyer took the NHTSA complaints and ran with them (creating an article to highlight the supposed issue) there is no documented link between Keef Leech and Edward Niedermeyer that I've seen.
Thanks for correcting the record on this.

Not very encouraging... :cool:

Screampositive 7 hours ago said:
The UV radiation basically brakes down the particles that are causing the yellow colour. But it does not fix the cause of the discolouration, the inappropriate touchscreen adhesive. It'll turn yellow again because of the heat in the car, because new yellow particles are constantly forming.