Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it's sad that the P3D- will never have track mode and the improved cooling associated with that feature. However, the bright side is everyone who wanted one got a 5K refund to make up for the PUP price drop. Originally, track mode was not promised for the P3D-.
It really wasn't a refund for PUP- it was a $5k trade, in return for giving up FUSC.

Last edited:

That is just a prognostication and literally means nothing. Have you ever personally experienced a reduction in the pricing of a brand new car like the Model 3 has undergone over the past 4 months? We will all have to revisit this in 3-4 years when this mass of now near-new Model 3’s start to enter the used market en masse. I stay with my thinking that it will not be pretty from a value standpoint.

I wouldn't count on an SC employee knowing that type of information. But we can certainly agree P3D- owners got the short end of the stick.

I am a P3D- owner, and received the $5k back. I actually got the long end of the stick. I was perfectly fine paying what I did for my P3D-. Ending up getting the $5k back is the cherry on top and was certainly not expected.

That is just a prognostication and literally means nothing.

Well it's based in part on 2018 used model 3 pricing, so no, it doesn't mean nothing. In fact it directly answers the question you asked about used Model 3 prices so far.

I agree it's not The Final Word or anything close to it, but I'm unaware of any better data/info available. Are you?

Have you ever personally experienced a reduction in the pricing of a brand new car like the Model 3 has undergone over the past 4 months?

I don't think anyone has. You included.

But given the price cuts (excluding the PUP debacle) are still less than the cuts of the tax credits, the "net" price hasn't really moved much in the past year.

Take an AWD non-P for example- If you paid 54k and got 7500 back, your net was 46.5k... if a "new" one is 49.9k minus $3750 rebate your net is now...46.15k. That's pretty much a wash outside of sales tax (which in my state, for example, would be a difference of about $250).

So as long as you're not pretending you didn't get a rebate what you can expect to get back on what you actually paid net hasn't changed significantly.... (other than maybe your 54k car got free lifetime data- which transfers to the new owner and would have some value in theory).

What I mean is, there is 0 point in a brake kit, or going all out on performance rims, lowering the car etc. Without track mode it's wasted money IMO. The most I would do is some better looking wheels and change the brake pads when they die.

But even that is leaving a bad taste in my mouth since the price is dropping faster than I can pay it off. I need to take any money I was going to spend on wheels and sink it towards the loan to keep up with artificial depreciation, such that the car won't be worth more than I owe in 3 years.

I guess, except that the car would be about 4k cheaper now anyways even with the 5k back.

No, it wouldn't, if you count the tax rebate. Which you should.

64k for the P3D-, $5000 FUSC refund exchange, $7500 tax rebate, so net cost was $51,500. Even if you want to talk P3D+ net cost was $56,500.

A new P3D+ (the only one they sell now) is $60,900 minus $3750 credit= $57,150. Or $650 more than last year.

All the angry people appear to be really bad at math.

Without track mode it's wasted money IMO.
Because it's a 'slow car' or WTF?

You don't add any of those things to have some sort expected future resale value. That's a fool's errand for any Model 3, or frankly pretty much any vehicle. You upgrade those things to use them. If you aren't going to use them, yeah, total waste of your money. But it being a P- has nothing to do with that.

I cant speak for everyone but people have their own reason for getting upset.

I dont see the point of wasting energy on something that can be easily solved with money. Its like the argument for people who have straight hair versus curly and vise versa.

i.e.
Step 1: Sell your RWD/AWD Car.
Step 2: Buy Performance Version
Step 3: Wait for the Roadster to come out and complain about why we can have this and that.

Personally, its trivial and if there is a demand for the Uncorking, then someone will come up with it, and its just a matter of time.(cough cough @MountainPass ).

At the end of the day, this car is just a car and there will be a newer car with more features released every year....

I guess, except that the car would be about 4k cheaper now anyways even with the 5k back.
Knightshade responded above in terms of the math....but regardless, I gladly paid what I did for the P3D-. I didn't have an issue in the world paying what I paid. I could have elected to get the performance upgrade (which I didn't like as I didn't want the 20" rims or sports tires), or I could have gotten the AWD non Performance 3. Getting $5k back is amazing and certainly makes my deal much better. I have solar panels at home, and charge for free at work, so losing FUSC doesn't change the calculus for me at all. I have 10,500 miles on my car (picked up Sept 28th), and have used the supercharger a half dozen times.

Because it's a 'slow car' or WTF?

You don't add any of those things to have some sort expected future resale value. That's a fool's errand for any Model 3, or frankly pretty much any vehicle. You upgrade those things to use them. If you aren't going to use them, yeah, total waste of your money. But it being a P- has nothing to do with that.
Are you really going to be using the extra brakes when you overheat after the second lap?

Knightshade responded above in terms of the math....but regardless, I gladly paid what I did for the P3D-. I didn't have an issue in the world paying what I paid. I could have elected to get the performance upgrade (which I didn't like as I didn't want the 20" rims or sports tires), or I could have gotten the AWD non Performance 3. Getting $5k back is amazing and certainly makes my deal much better. I have solar panels at home, and charge for free at work, so losing FUSC doesn't change the calculus for me at all. I have 10,500 miles on my car (picked up Sept 28th), and have used the supercharger a half dozen times.

Yes, that 5K solved all problems. Ask any AWD owner if they would pay 6K more for a 1 second speedup. ALOT would say yes.

Are you really going to be using the extra brakes when you overheat after the second lap?
People were smoking the brakes without even the P. Also going very fast without Track Mode. You do have to Get Good and get it done in less laps if you're going for a top time. If you're not interested in that. Then don't.

Again, use it or don't. But it is entirely delusional thinking that upgrading is ever a resale value investment.

Last edited:
People were smoking the brakes without even the P. Also going very fast without Track Mode. You do have to Get Good and get it done in less laps if you're going for a top time. If you're not interested in that. Then don't.

Again, use it or don't. But it is entirely delusional thinking that upgrading is ever a resale value investment.
I meant the battery itself overheating without the additional cooling made available using track mode.