Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Update: It happened] Track Mode not happening for P3d-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 also does torque vectoring.

Yes, it does torque vectoring via having two motors in front and rear. It has nothing to do with brakes. Torque steering is accomplished with brakes. Those are two different things. I'm trying to be clear as to what we're talking about for the sake of others reading.

You might call these the same thing, but since we're talking about brakes it helps to be clear about two different actions that are going on to control the direction of the car.

I wouldn't call anything on a $50K+ car "economy". Standard equipment, sure.

Amen

It's that douchey elitism that kills me.

Funny, but it is all relative. One man’s luxury is another man’s economy... apparently.

$5,000 for wheels and brakes is a bit excessive, especially if it can be outdone for less money.

Except there are many people who will pay a premium for slightly inferior OEM sport setup to avoid having to design their own solution, have car out of service for installation, and risk finger pointing over any warranty issues.

Except there are many people who will pay a premium for slightly inferior OEM sport setup to avoid having to design their own solution, have car out of service for installation, and risk finger pointing over any warranty issues.

Ahh yes forgot to mention that in recent postings. But justification even last year was $5K buys you a factory warrantied, OEM track setup. Not the best, but factory warrantied and OEM track setup.

I wouldn't call anything on a $50K+ car "economy". Standard equipment, sure. It's that douchey elitism that kills me. $5,000 for wheels and brakes is a bit excessive, especially if it can be outdone for less money.

Until proven otherwise, its also going on a $35K car as well.

$35K car is economy. Its like the C-Class Mercedes (which I couldn't afford in college anyway lol).

Src: Urban Dictionary

C-Class
1) The low end "economy" models in the Mercedes Benz automotive lineup.

2) Attempting to give the appearance of power, wealth and success by attaining the least expensive symbols of status. Not necessarily broke, but still posing anyway.

He took me to the Four Seasons, then asked me to order a salad. He's strictly c-class.

Funny, but it is all relative. One man’s luxury is another man’s economy... apparently.

Of course. I parked next to a Bentley Bentayga just the other day. Despite being faster it’s obvious I’m still a chump in my mass market Tesla. That’s probably 2 zeros difference in net worth.

Last edited:

$35K car is economy. Its like the C-Class Mercedes (which I couldn't afford in college anyway lol).

C-Class

2) Attempting to give the appearance of power, wealth and success by attaining the least expensive symbols of status. Not necessarily broke, but still posing anyway.

He took me to the Four Seasons, then asked me to order a salad. He's strictly c-class.

Analogy falls flat, because the C-class didn't get the same drivetrain as the sportier models. P3D- did.

Reactions: Perry

C-Class

Any time you gotta quote urban dictionary to make a point, you are reaching!

Sure, it is posing to buy MB just because you want trappings, but not everybody who buys it is posing. Also elitist to disrespect C because it is lowest priced model in line. I can think of many times that the lowest priced model in a line was also the best.

The current $40k lowest price 3 out accelerates and outhandles most cars twice the price. It can’t and doesn’t have “economy” brakes. Probably part of why Tesla challenged to get to $35k. Some things can’t be compromised.

Of course. I parked next to a Bentley Bentayga just the other day. Despite being faster it’s obvious I’m still a chump in my mass market Tesla. That’s probably 2 zeros difference in net worth.

LOL... probably but not certainly! Plenty of billionaires drive a Prius, and plenty of people driving a Bentley aren’t what they appear... tho that’s exactly why they do it!

Sure, it is posing to buy MB just because you want trappings, but not everybody who buys it is posing. Also elitist to disrespect C because it is lowest priced model in line. I can think of many times that the lowest priced model in a line was also the best.

I never owned a C class nor could afford one in my first 3 decades. It’s just funny to clown others and even yourself. :)

I made fun of Cheap class Mercedes while driving my M3 for a decade. By M3, I mean Mazda 3. ;)

C63 AMGs are nice. Might be in one if Tesla never existed.

LOL... probably but not certainly! Plenty of billionaires drive a Prius, and plenty of people driving a Bentley aren’t what they appear... tho that’s exactly why they do it!

Not necessarily true 100% of the time. Once you're REALLY rich, you don't need to tell people all about it.

Why these 5 billionaires still drive these cheap cars

All agreed.. but there’s cultural differences at play here regarding the Bentley.

The young couple was Chinese and shopping at Ethan Allen at a time where ordinary peasants like my wife and I would be working to support the mortgage.

It’s not a source of pride for rich Chinese people to live below their means. No way. Elite culture is showing no concern for wealth. Not saying live above your means but never below it. Elite culture is not how much money but how you approach money.

It took like months of pleading to my father in law to not buy that 8K Samsung. 8K is the resolution and 8K is the price.. sheesh.

It was a an embarrassing step down to pay 3200 for that 4K at Costco.. but my rationale is the 8K will be at Costco next year for the same price and he’d have two monster tvs. Maybe I can take as a handmedown when my 9 year old 55 inch Mitsubishi DLP dies off.

Second problem about driving cheap cars is the assumption any saved wealth is responsibly spent.

If I wreck in my track mode Model 3 today.. and my kids access to my account:
1.) My son will have the biggest baddest Pokemon card collection on the west coast.
2.) My daughter will have a pony and throw a party at the Disneyland Cinderella suite.

All agreed.. but there’s cultural differences at play here regarding the Bentley.

The young couple was Chinese and shopping at Ethan Allen at a time where ordinary peasants like my wife and I would be working to support the mortgage.

It’s not a source of pride for rich Chinese people to live below their means. No way. Elite culture is showing no concern for wealth. Not saying live above your means but never below it. Elite culture is not how much money but how you approach money.

It took like months of pleading to my father in law to not buy that 8K Samsung. 8K is the resolution and 8K is the price.. sheesh.

It was a an embarrassing step down to pay 3200 for that 4K at Costco.. but my rationale is the 8K will be at Costco next year for the same price and he’d have two monster tvs. Maybe I can take as a handmedown when my 9 year old 55 inch Mitsubishi DLP dies off.

Second problem about driving cheap cars is the assumption any saved wealth is responsibly spent.

If I wreck in my track mode Model 3 today.. and my kids access to my account:
1.) My son will have the biggest baddest Pokemon card collection on the west coast.
2.) My daughter will have a pony and throw a party at the Disneyland Cinderella suite.

It's also about how you were brought up. My wife and I were both born to young parents. We were each the first kid. My parents got divorced, multiple times in one case. Her parents had 3 more kids, on one salary. I grew up in suburban Boston, her in rural VA.

The money we have now is all ours. We're both in IT. She's at one of the big 3 or 4 IT companies in the world, and I'm at a top 10 Pharma company.

Even though we're in Boston, we were smart enough to live 45 minutes outside the city. Big city salaries, and until the suburbs expand out further, outer-suburbs housing costs.

The P3D- is probably the most ostentatious thing we own between us.

Reactions: Perry and MXWing
It's also about how you were brought up. My wife and I were both born to young parents. We were each the first kid. My parents got divorced, multiple times in one case. Her parents had 3 more kids, on one salary. I grew up in suburban Boston, her in rural VA.

The money we have now is all ours. We're both in IT. She's at one of the big 3 or 4 IT companies in the world, and I'm at a top 10 Pharma company.

Even though we're in Boston, we were smart enough to live 45 minutes outside the city. Big city salaries, and until the suburbs expand out further, outer-suburbs housing costs.

TMI. I might start liking you, and then we can’t argue as well.

Out of curiosity what's your commute like living in the 'burbs of Boston?

I live in Los Angeles and refuse to live in the suburbs because I don't want to spend my life in my car when the average commute is 1+hrs each way. That and I'm all about walkability. If I can't walk to a grocery store, park, restaurant it's too far.

Out of curiosity what's your commute like living in the 'burbs of Boston?

I live in Los Angeles and refuse to live in the suburbs because I don't want to spend my life in my car when the average commute is 1+hrs each way. That and I'm all about walkability. If I can't walk to a grocery store, park, restaurant it's too far.

I'm 26 miles from work. It can vary from 30 minutes to an hour and 10 each way

It’s fun to quarrel, and stock in popcorn companies would plummet otherwise!

Pretty slow news cycle. We need some Other big controversy once track mode is stare decisis.

I’d help anyone I can though regardless of disagreements.
I didn't buy EAP or FSD as an option as I don't t think the tech will really be ready for another ten years. However I find myself envious of the ACC system in my wife's Acura at times. I know Tesla doesn't want to cannibalize their EAP sales but really that's all I want. Just a nice simple ACC so that I don't go flying into the car in front of me in traffic.

Reactions: dww12
I didn't buy EAP or FSD as an option as I don't t think the tech will really be ready for another ten years. However I find myself envious of the ACC system in my wife's Acura at times. I know Tesla doesn't want to cannibalize their EAP sales but really that's all I want. Just a nice simple ACC so that I don't go flying into the car in front of me in traffic.

EAP is already ready. It's feature-complete at this point once they remove the confirmation-required for lane changes.

And it's literally the reason I bought the car. It's vastly better than anything else from other companies (other than arguably Caddy, and that works on like 90% fewer roads)

EAP is already ready. It's feature-complete at this point once they remove the confirmation-required for lane changes.

And it's literally the reason I bought the car. It's vastly better than anything else from other companies (other than arguably Caddy, and that works on like 90% fewer roads)
So very different from me. I bought the car because it's the best sports sedan under 100k. I like to drive my cars. I don't want my cars driving me.

So very different from me. I bought the car because it's the best sports sedan under 100k. I like to drive my cars. I don't want my cars driving me.

Too easy guys.

F21408AC-10C4-40CD-BA05-E467CC5204CC.gif

At some point all of us will have our vision and reflexes degrade to where we can’t drive.

Be thankful that not everyone feels the same way so technology can continue to advance.

My first or 2nd post was something along the lines of not needing AP either. :)

I got a similar rebuke lol.