Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update Observation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sometimes go to software to check if an update is available. It usually scans for a few seconds and comes back with 'Your car is up to date' at the date and time it is checked.

However, the last couple of days I tried this, there is no scanning for an update and the date and time stays at the date/time of my last update.

There is a big push right now on the 20.9 update. My thought is that Tesla has shut down update scans during heavy update activity and only gives you your last update date/time in order to not overload the system with unnecessary update scanning. Just a theory at best.

We have two Teslas. At least once one of the two went for days showing an old "as of" date/time, while the other continued to honor the usual 24-hour check allowed cycle. I eventually did a two-button reset, and promptly was shown a current "as of" date/time. Unlike two others posting on this thread I did not immediately get an actual new download, but I did exit the persistent "not trying" state.

I doubt Tesla deliberately puts the whole fleet into that state to reduce server load.

I noticed this behavior with 2023.20.9, software update check doesn't seem to do anything
I've rebooted several times, well past the 24 hr check limit

Manual check software update: Your car software is up to date as of 1 Aug 6:26 pm
The time/date doesn't change and it's checked instantly, pretty obvious it's not doing anything
If I reboot the car and check software update, the date and time changes to the date/time of the reboot
But again it already has the new date/time, manual software update check doesn't do anything
Previously it would take a few minutes to check and return: your car software is up to date as of (current date/time)
providing it was 24 hrs since the last check

Clicking the two buttons doesn't always work. For sometime now my software indicated it was current as of 18 August. And this after I turn off the car three times by using the two buttons. Any suggestions? Or does this warrant a visit to the service center?

Clicking the two buttons doesn't always work. For sometime now my software indicated it was current as of 18 August. And this after I turn off the car three times by using the two buttons. Any suggestions? Or does this warrant a visit to the service center?
I'm responding to my own post. As of this date my software still indicates it is current as of 18 August. I am patient.

I've been checking every other day or so. My car says it is current as of Sept 15. I'm wondering if many of us are experiencing the same thing. Perhaps Tesla stops update scans in some regions or for some car models at the same time? It seems to happen during big update pushes. I'm in N.Y. and have a 22 M3 LR AWD on 26.9