Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update removed Sirius/XM selection from infotainment screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With software 2021.24.4, I'm now seeing different, but still broken, behavior. Now, SiriusXM will disappear and appear within a given drive. Also, I've seen it get stuck playing a SiriusXM station while the SiriusXM button disappeared.
I’ve experienced exactly the same. Prior to the recent update, I was able to toggle to SXM from the ”Radio” source. Since the recent update, SXM is not available at the start of the drive but appears later. Also have had the last station stuck situation as well but not consistently.

SiriusXM FIX for my 2018 Model S
If I park in my garage for 30 minutes with no satellite signal, I will lose SiriusXM on my computer screen. Check the settings, everything is gone.
Tesla must have a bug in the software when there is no signal for a certain time it disables SiriusXM
FIX
I pull out of my garage into a parking spot that is open to the sky.

I do a hard boot, by pushing both scrolls to reset.
FOR HARD REBOOT.
PUSH and HOLD both scroll down and hold down, do not release when you see the screen go off. Continue to hold down for about 2 minutes until you see the T on the screen. Once you see the T on the screen, then release the scroll.
SiriusXM will take about 1-2 minutes before it is back on your computer screen with all settings as you had them.

If I park in my garage for 30 minutes with no satellite signal, I will lose SiriusXM on my computer screen. Check the settings, everything is gone.
Tesla must have a bug in the software when there is no signal for a certain time it disables SiriusXM
FIX

FOR HARD REBOOT.
PUSH and HOLD both scroll down and hold down, do not release when you see the screen go off. Continue to hold down for about 2 minutes until you see the T on the screen. Once you see the T on the screen, then release the scroll.
SiriusXM will take about 1-2 minutes before it is back on your computer screen with all settings as you had them.
I tried the 3 step process outlined above. After step 3 I waited about 5 minutes and powered off again for about 2 minutes and the radio came back after I powered back on. It was on preview but after a few refreshes and time passing the channels came back. Note that you should disconnect all Bluetooth devices from the car when you try these steps. Also this happened to me about 4 months ago and that time I called Sirius and they sent a signal to hard reset the radio which worked. A hard reset is not the same as a refresh.

I tried the 3 step process outlined above. After step 3 I waited about 5 minutes and powered off again for about 2 minutes and the radio came back after I powered back on. It was on preview but after a few refreshes and time passing the channels came back. Note that you should disconnect all Bluetooth devices from the car when you try these steps. Also this happened to me about 4 months ago and that time I called Sirius and they sent a signal to hard reset the radio which worked. A hard reset is not the same as a refresh.
Hello,
I found if the wifi is on it will not work, after a reboot.
I now turn off wifi that is connected to my router to download updates.
Then move out of my garage into an open parking lot.
I push both scrolls and hold down until the screen shuts off, then I release.
ON REBOOT, I look at the Tesla LTE cellular strength bars, which will show a slash line thru the cellular strength bars, showing it is not connected to any cell towers yet.
After the LTE strength bars show its connected to a cell tower.
Sirius will connect within 15-30 seconds.

Here is my fix. I have a 2015 85D Model S; It have done it on my car and gave the info to another friend that had good luck.

it requires some work.

1. Reboot on scroll wheels once--it won't do it.
2. Power off from security on screen--and repower on with brake push--it won't do it.
3. You MUST disconnect the 12 volt battery--which is under the tub in the Frunk--and then do a scroll wheel reboot.
4. Good news is you don't have to remove the battery, just detach the negative cable.
5. Rather than give a lengthy explanation watch this U tube:
6. Remember you don't have to do all his steps and remove the battery-just skip to detaching the negative wire.
7. After all put back close the hood and do the scroll wheel reboot and sirius should appear.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this bug has been fixed in 2021.32.20. At least, I haven't seen this bug in the three days since I've had that build installed, with 2-3 drives each day. Anyone else?
Same here. just checked again this am and SXM is available as a source without the wait. Checked to see since .32.22 update hit this am and wanted to make sure it didn’t get “un done”.

Here are pictures of what I do when I reboot the Tesla Computer.
First make sure WIFI is turned off, then reboot.
If you park your car in an area where you have lost the Satellite signal, Tesla Software will remove Sirius

from infotainment screen after 15-30 minutes.​

Attachments

• #1 No Sirius.JPG
    #1 No Sirius.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 226
  • #2 Sirius Missing in Sources.JPG
    #2 Sirius Missing in Sources.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 80
  • #3 Turn off WiFi.JPG
    #3 Turn off WiFi.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 74
  • #4 WiFi is now turned off NOW REBOOT Computer.JPG
    #4 WiFi is now turned off NOW REBOOT Computer.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 89
  • #5 Sirius still missing while Computer is booting up.JPG
    #5 Sirius still missing while Computer is booting up.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 78
  • #6 Slash mark thru Cellular strength bars while booting up.JPG
    #6 Slash mark thru Cellular strength bars while booting up.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 86
  • #7 Cellular is now connected LTE.JPG
    #7 Cellular is now connected LTE.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 71
  • #8 Sirius will pop up in sources in about 15-30 seconds after Cellular LTE is connected.JPG
    #8 Sirius will pop up in sources in about 15-30 seconds after Cellular LTE is connected.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 83
  • #9 Sirius is now up on main screen.JPG
    #9 Sirius is now up on main screen.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: swt2c
Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Tesla is a great technology company but a terrible software company.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I am trying and failing at not being angry about this.
I had this problem four times since July 2021 n my 2013 Model S.. In the past, I waited until SXM mysteriously returned. This time, I requested a mobile service visit to solve the sim reoccurring problem which Tesla is certainly aware of. Rather than a service call, they simply sent on over the air software patch to restore SXM!

So the answer to this problem: request a software patch over the air!

Recently got an update to 2020.48.37.6 on my 2013 Model S. I had been listening to some podcasts and had not noticed that S/XM is gone until this morning. And I mean gone. Like the car never had it and doesn't even have the satellite radio. If you let your subscription lapse or the car gets out of sync S/XM is still there and you can listen to the DEMO channel but there isn't any way to even select that anymore. I tried rebooting but that made no difference. The FM radio still works but I never use that anyway. I like Sirius because despite AT&T and Verizon's claims to the contrary there are large areas of the country with no cell service. And at least until a few months ago SXM would operate without a cell connection. They sort of broke that in that you can't get channel lists without a cell connection so unless you start listening in a place with cell service you can't select any channels. Of course that is not my current problem.

I have scheduled a service at the closest service center (400 miles away) but this should not be necessary. I wish there was a way to regress to the last good software which was version 6 which went away sometime in 2015 or 2016.

Tesla is a great technology company but a terrible software company.

Anyone else seen this? Anything else you can think of to try since a reboot didn't do it.

I am trying and failing at not being angry about this.
simply request an over the air software patch and it will restore sim

Its gone again! What you say? How can that be? Worse this time. Tunedin is also gone. No selection in the settings for either service exist now. This happened overnight and not due to an update.

How could anyone ever believe that FSD will be trustable when they cant even get the infotainment system working correctly.

Unless Elon asks for it, bugs don't ever get fixed.

Tesla is a great technology company but they kind of suck at software.

Tesla has a bug in the entertainment. SiriusXM and other media come and go. Stations get mixed up, stations disappear. Recents and Favorites come and go or are not accessible. I go it working until I got the Advanced Full Self Driving beta download. Took a bunch of refreshes and reboots to get it working. If you get it working, it may become unstable again for no reason, or after another update. Suffice to say, Tesla should spend some time on fixing all of this. I wish we could report our experiences to help them. Very frustrating.

Was out shopping and when I left home it wasn't working. When I came back to the car from the store both XM and Tunein were back. No update, no manual reboot, no magic incantations.

What makes you think that FSD will ever be reliable enough to use when they can't fix simple bugs like these?

Software since the internet has been pretty buggy. They (meaning the manufacturers) don't worry about quality control because they know they can always fix it later. They just never seem to get around to it.

1) If it takes longer than 20 milliseconds to wake up after the spinning rust (in the computer, not your brakes) come up to speed they are doing it wrong.
2) If a vendor ever hints that a problem will be corrected by a reboot, they are doing it wrong.
3) If a software update takes longer than 20 milliseconds to complete they are doing it wrong.

Can you think of a single modern product that isn't doing it wrong?

The problem with Tesla that I have not seen before is the unpredictability. Just like you saw, things work sometimes and not others. Updates seem to have to "settle in", sometimes taking days for things to come back or start working. How is this possible, that the code can work sometimes and not others -- with everything else remaining constant? Then again, some things break that have been working, for no apparent reason. Must just be Tesla magic at work. :)

FIX

FOR HARD REBOOT.
Thanks! This fix worked for me today as well.

Thanks! This fix worked for me today as well.
Once you press both scroll buttons and hold until the screens go blank, the boot process is starting. It will make no difference whether you hold the buttons in for 20 second longer, 2 minutes, or 2 hours, the boot process will begin when the screen goes blank and releasing the buttons later has no effect once this begins.