Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UPDATED] 2 die in Tesla crash - NHTSA reports driver seat occupied

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to say that the timing of dispatch at 2124 to arrive on scene at 2136 is shockingly bad. It's exactly one mile from the fire station to the front gate at Carlton Woods. A route that involves one left turn and one right turn. So 12 minutes is a pretty lackluster effort on the part of the FD, if these times are true.

The original 911 was for trees being on fire not a car. The fire department did not know people were in danger.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Surely this sad accident is why FSD/autonomous driving cannot come soon enough.

What would have happened if a family was walking on the sidewalk at the time of the crash, so some one been on a pedal bike??!!

It appears as a society we tolerate human stupidly as an acceptable cause of fatal road traffic accidents all the time, yet flinch at the suggestion autonomous software may make a mistake like kerbing a wheel.

FSD cannot come soon enough.

They said tonight on the news that draft NTSB report indicates that there is surveillance video of one person getting in drivers seat and one in passenger seat just before the accident. To me this indicates that their was a driver and he climbed over the seats and got caught in back seat after crash. Yes we all know there are ways to get autopilot to engage when no one is in the drivers seat. However, as stated in report the tried to recreate the accident and they could not get autosteer to engage on that road.

Reactions: rxlawdude
They said tonight on the news that draft NTSB report indicates that there is surveillance video of one person getting in drivers seat and one in passenger seat just before the accident. To me this indicates that their was a driver and he climbed over the seats and got caught in back seat after crash. Yes we all know there are ways to get autopilot to engage when no one is in the drivers seat. However, as stated in report the tried to recreate the accident and they could not get autosteer to engage on that road.
Yep. To me its always been laughable that "local authorities" thought that no one was in the driver's seat during the crash.

It's like the fact that the car was a Tesla means it is some kind of future mobile where it was possible that no one was driving.
These local yokels are some real top-notch investigators (not). WTF.

Houston Chronicle has an article on the preliminary NTSB results and whether the Constable’s office is still standing by their earlier report. Article touches on other aspects of the accident and reaction to it. I’m linking from my AppleNews feed as going directly through HC’s website or through Google looking for the story both met with “continue reading if you subscribe”.

“Herman’s office on Monday said the incident remains under investigation but did not respond to a request for comment on whether it was standing by its initial reports.”

Article also included accident statistics for Texas comparing Teslas and other vehicles over a few different time periods.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Yuri_G and alexgr
Houston Chronicle has an article on the preliminary NTSB results and whether the Constable’s office is still standing by their earlier report. Article touches on other aspects of the accident and reaction to it. I’m linking from my AppleNews feed as going directly through HC’s website or through Google looking for the story both met with “continue reading if you subscribe”.

“Herman’s office on Monday said the incident remains under investigation but did not respond to a request for comment on whether it was standing by its initial reports.”

Article also included accident statistics for Texas comparing Teslas and other vehicles over a few different time periods.
Would be interesting to see a copy....

Would be interesting to see a copy....
Of what? If the preliminary NTSB report, there’s a link to it provided in this post.

Just 2 pages with text and photo of street and of car.

He was seen getting in the car, and the car drove away. Left unsaid is if the timing of this is immediately pre-crash or not.

Unless they did several loops and somehow set this up, there was NO TIME to climb over the seat. Please tell me, what 59 year old man can set TACC going, figure out a way to keep it going, and then climb over the seat in 10 seconds or less?

The Tesla Model S involved in a fatal crash in Texas last month was likely not in autopilot mode, according to a preliminary report released by the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB). The agency also said the owner was initially in the driver's seat.
Home surveillance footage shows the owner of the 2019 Tesla getting into the driver’s seat and his passenger getting into the front passenger seat before crashing 550 feet down the road. Local officials previously said there was “no indication that that anyone was in the driver’s seat” and the two victims were found in the front passenger and back seat of the vehicle.
The NTSB said the car was equipped with autopilot, but in order for the feature to work, both traffic-aware cruise control and autosteer systems must be engaged. The NTSB conducted a test at the crash site and found the autosteer system was not available on that part of the road.

Last edited:
Important update on this story:

• Love
Reactions: rxlawdude
The NTSB is still doing forensic analysis on the "derformed" steering wheel to determine if there was a body in the driver's seat at the moment of the crash.

Tesla has argued the state of the steering wheel indicated that someone was in the driver's seat at the time of the crash. The NTSB has yet to comment on this.

Does any person who is even slightly conversant with how autopilot works believe that this person could have engaged autopilot under those circumstances and then ghost-ridden the whip for 550 feet into a tree?

If some magnificent acrobatic stuntman managed to pull this off, would this in some way be the automaker's fault? Could this have been avoided if only the automaker had used somewhat different language to describe its driver-assistance features?

Reactions: shrineofchance
Does any person who is even slightly conversant with how autopilot works believe that this person could have engaged autopilot under those circumstances and then ghost-ridden the whip for 550 feet into a tree?

If some magnificent acrobatic stuntman managed to pull this off, would this in some way be the automaker's fault? Could this have been avoided if only the automaker had used somewhat different language to describe its driver-assistance features?
Yes, Musk should call it "Not an Autopilot"

Important update on this story:

??

We're already discussing those details here.

He was seen getting in the car, and the car drove away. Left unsaid is if the timing of this is immediately pre-crash or not.

Unless they did several loops and somehow set this up, there was NO TIME to climb over the seat. Please tell me, what 59 year old man can set TACC going, figure out a way to keep it going, and then climb over the seat in 10 seconds or less?

Something else to consider is the driver according to the Fire Marshall’s report (see Jalopnik article at bottom—Scribd) was 5’10” tall. Sure it wasn’t easy for him to crawl to the back seat even after the crash let alone having quickly done so during what a 550feet drive in that short amount of time from leaving the cul de sac.

Last edited: