Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated Broswer on its Way!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Elon'a Tweet
IMG_0082.PNG

hmmm - didnt I hear browser update in v8.1, maybe it was just nav updates?

However, maybe he just set the timetable for v8.1 as December (year to be specified).
If v8.1 is indeed December then other major UI updates could well be put back to this or later still

In any event it seems a bit odd that Tesla would release major software restructure in v8, then 4 months later update the core OS.
The obvious answer is that the v8 restructure is not in any way dependent on the core OS, even so ...

I wonder what other goodies await in 4.4
Unlikely that an OS update will bring much to the table. Perhaps some improved performance but I would guess there would be mostly security updates and bug fixes for the core operating system. They may choose to update the browser or push out some other end user visible fixes. Perhaps they will make some change 8.0 changes basked on user feedback? :)

Is that a promise or a "promise"? We've been hurt and lied to before.... ;)

*IF* Tesla is upgrading the core OS to 4.4, they have at least a thousand more important things to worry about before they get around t upgrading the browser. I think it's a pretty safe bet. After all, Elon said we'd be getting Chrome and an app store platform two years ago. Still waiting for that. (Yes, I know he back-peddled on the app store thing).

If we just get mobile mirroring that would be a win so we CAN use Chrome and things like Waze on the touchscreen. But I don't think we'll see that anytime soon either, based on the fact that there is a massive regression in 8.0 with the media player and all these other new "features" that neutered great functionality in 7.1.

To those familiar with Linux: why would a browser refresh be tied to a Linux 4.4 update? Is there some sort of dependency?

On a related note, does Tesla currently make
their browser? Why wouldn't they just leverage an open source flavor of Chrome / Chromium?

Absolutely. The browser we have now has a UserAgent of QtCarBrowser -- which really only shows up in the Tesla. But it's clearly based on QT, like the rest of the UI. (The full user agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) AppleWebKit/534.34 (KHTML, like Gecko) QtCarBrowser Safari/534.34 )

So whatever libraries that is based on could be dead for more current versions of the OS. I know that on my systems, I depended on a KDE app called Guarddog for maintaining a complex iptables firewall setup was also written in QT, but when I upgraded my servers from Linux 2.2 to 2.4, the dependent libraries for that app were no longer supported (even with recompiling), so I was dead in the water. I was unable to get the app developer to re-write his app using a more current GUI platform unfortunately, it was a fantastic app.

But if they do update the OS, I'm sure they'd pick some other browser platform, but they'd still need to customize it for touchscreen use on the 17" MCU (and lockout functions like watching video), which may be easier now, 5 to 7 years after QtCarBrowser was written. But who knows? And does Tesla have the resources to spare on the browser? I guess here's hoping QtCarBrowser isn't compatible with linux 4.0 so they're forced to upgrade.

• Informative
Reactions: 2virgule5
To those familiar with Linux: why would a browser refresh be tied to a Linux 4.4 update? Is there some sort of dependency?
Probably not directly, but almost definitely indirectly. Updating the kernel probably means a newer ABI, which means a newer basic runtime library, which means a newer compiler, and then explodes from there. The number of libraries involved in something like a browser is incredible. And trying to get older versions of some to work with newer versions of others is usually a nightmare. Sometimes you can get ancient code with limited external dependencies to compile with minimal tweaks on a newer system, but in most cases all of the separate projects evolve together, and co-depend on releases of each other from the same era.

Screen mirroring.. I dont think so... abusers will abuse absolutely! (people using rubber bands and soda cans to try and circumvent "nagging"! A mirrored screen is asking for trouble. so sad designers have to design with a flavor that protects idiots from themselves!)

Now, can you please be more specific?
Is this a physical hat? What are the dimensions? How long after a browser update is confirmed will the hat eating take place? Will it be recorded or live streamed?

We've had others claiming they will eat a hat (a Tesla hat to be exact) and then back out after the fact.

No backing out here!! I will eat my hat the day that Tesla releases a new or updated or different browser in any Model S or Model X (it doesn't have to be my car to qualify). I will video the eating of said hat.

10532756_10155132087875553_6963185569666561263_n.jpg

Screen mirroring.. I dont think so... abusers will abuse absolutely! (people using rubber bands and soda cans to try and circumvent "nagging"! A mirrored screen is asking for trouble. so sad designers have to design with a flavor that protects idiots from themselves!)

Can you elaborate? What kind of abuse? If the MCU screen just mirrors a mobile device, what can be "abused"? Other than maybe sidestepping the "no video" stipulation, I'm not sure what else people can abuse. (Maybe I'm just not that imaginative?)

I'd bet that any screen mirroring would be in a half-sized window, and the mirroring wouldn't take over the entire touchscreen (which I could see being abused).

• Funny
Reactions: mikes_fsd